5.0 out of 5 stars Sound financial advice for those in credit distress!
Published on November 17, 2011 by Dad5

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New Here
Published on May 5, 2012 by Kelly L. Dear

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound financial advice for those in credit distress!, November 17, 2011
Dad5 (Providence, RI USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Your Credit Score: How to Improve the 3-Digit Number That Shapes Your Financial Future (4th Edition) (Liz Pulliam Weston) (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Your Credit Score by Liz Weston provides sound financial advice in an accessible, readable presentation; with the first half of the book dedicated to a discussion of how credit scores are compiled and how to manage your credit scores. The second half of the book has a less general application, but is must reading for those with credit issues, particularly those seeking to rebuild a damaged credit history. The potential impact of credit scores on insurance premiums and the job search may also come as a surprise to readers.

I would suggest, however, that if the reader's primary interest is the FICO score, they should first check out Understanding Your FICO Score, a 20-page booklet available free on the myfico.com website. This covers much of the material in Chapters 1 and 2 of Your Credit Score. If you want to learn more, I would then turn to Weston's book.

Readers who paid for a credit score online, expecting a FICO score, but receiving a VantageScore instead, will be particularly interested in Weston's Chapter 3. While the three major credit bureaus promote VantageScore as a superior alternative to FICO, Weston provides some valuable insights on the VantageScore vis-a-vis FICO; Weston also indicates free sources for VantageScore, saving the reader a typical $7.95 (or more) that many pay for this score.

So, my only caution to readers is that about one-half of the book has general applications for all readers and the other half is primarily relevant to those in financial distress. If you are not facing credit issues, you may wish to closely examine the Table of Contents to determine if Your Credit Score is right for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New Here, May 5, 2012
I was hoping to get a little more detail about the actual steps to take to improve a credit score. The book does a good job of explaining how a credit score is calculated and how the credit agencies work, but that information didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. The title was misleading in my opinion because it didn't give any new information that might be helpful to someone who needed to work on improving their credit score. There was more information included about other ways your credit history might be used, but that wasn't information about improving your score.

Some people may have enjoyed reading all the history of the credit industry, but for me it was boring and not helpful. I was disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars GOOD INFO, GREAT FOR THOSE TRYING TO BUILD CREDIT, December 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book gives a great foundation about what credit is. Goes in depth about how credit scores are calculated and how they are affected. Because of this I think this would be great for teens, or college students.
The ways to improve your credit score are nothing new if you are fairly knowledgable about credit. It reinterates many of the basic tips that most are familiar with like ensuring there are no errors on your credit report and paying your bills on time.
I think this book would provide any person with some knowledge about credit and help those who have serious credit problems with a way to organize their clean-up game plan.
Worth reading for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Book!, March 23, 2012
At the risk of sounding like someone paid me to write this.....I mean it when I say you need to buy this book, no matter what your current score. As it details how your credit score is derived and how to improve it. In addition the books is filled with real-life questions and myth busters. For example, paying your CC balance off every month does nothing for your credit score, or that your car insurance premium can and probably is based in part on your credit score. If you put even a fraction of the tips and tricks offered in this book into action you going to do yourself some big favors. If anything you will be more mindful of how you utilize your CC's and how your credit score effects your future. Additionally, the book mentions several organizations that can help with the various aspects covered in the book.

This book left me feeling educated and empowered. In fact it's more than a book, but a manual on how to work this whole credit scoring system and personal finances in general to my maximum advantage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, February 9, 2013
I have been having credit problems and I picked up this volume in the new books section of the library. It is a real eye-opener. I did not know all this stuff about credit and how much it impacts ones life. This information about credit and finances should be taught to the children in school so they will know how to manage their financial lives.

The book covers ones FICO score, how it is calculated, what it means and how to improve it. The author explains why it is important and how it all works. She also includes information on how to repair your credit score if it is low. There is a section on credit-scoring myths and how to cope with a credit crisis. She talks about how to protect yourself from identity theft and has a chapter on fixing your credit score fast.

I learned several new things that surprised me, like the use of credit scores in getting insurance, and the fact that if you apply for a job your potential employer can look up your credit score. Scary! If your score is low, you may need that job to help repair it and get it up!I found this to be a good book. It is written in easy-to-read language and is easy to understand. -- Author, Valerie Lull, Ten Healthy Teas

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, March 17, 2012
Luis "Dragonfly" (San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wish I knew all of these information many many years ago. You how much better my life and my friends and family lives would have been? It is sickening keeping this information hidden from people. A must read.

3.0 out of 5 stars good introduction, June 15, 2014
This book gives a basic overview of credit management. It gives references and contact information as additional resources. Some of the information appeared to be directed to people inexperienced in money management.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using the tenets in this book now to purchase my home, March 1, 2014
This is a small but wonderful work on credit. The author makes the content easy to read and understand. I have applied the direction given in this book along with a few others to build my personal credit and to start working on my business credit. I am in the market for a new home now and knowing that my credit score is high is a wonderful feeling. I appreciate this new reference book in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Read It, December 26, 2013
RyCal "PageTurner" (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
I cranked through this book in about a day - totally worth the time to read it, and it's an easy read. Gave me some good basic insight into my credit score that I didn't know before. I took a few steps in this book (paid off some outstanding loans, decreased my credit utilization, continued paying on time), and within a short period my credit score increased and my credit card provider offered to increase my credit limit without me asking them to increase it. Just read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and free!, November 22, 2013
Well-written and informative. There were actually a few concepts outlined in the book that I didn't know about. Can't beat it for the price, which was FREE. LOL

Rate and Discover Movies