Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on May 17, 2000
I was so dispappointed in the presentation made in this book that I sent it back. The cover and even title give the impression that the book will include photgraphic and descriptive information regarding landscaping. What actually comes across is a very boring, poorly presented reference type of book that simply seems like an elaborate dictionary on various landscape terminology. The photographic connections were especially done poorly; all pictures relating to topics were simply united together in a large section at the back of the book. When a reference is made by an author regarding a specific subject, it is certainly best understood and appreciated by the reader when both are on the same page. It was also misleading in their title reference to Florida plants, shrubs, etc., that there would be direct inclusion of information of those subjects, but all that comes across is very general information relating to the words themselves. I have been working on my own Florida yard area now for over 5 years, enjoying what I have been learning by simple hands-on techniqe and questions to my neighbors. None of my own 26 personal plants were even directly mentioned in the book. Again, possibly some of the topics regarding pests or plant diseases might have been appreciated if the information would have been on the same pages as the related photographs--needing to turn clear to the the back of the book every time was a frustrating way to try and understand the connections.
0Comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2001
I thought this was an excellent reference for selecting Florida bedding plants. I wanted a book that had lots of pictures of various plants and told me when and where to plant them. This book does that. It is limited on pest control, but has a good basic section on digging and prepping your bedding areas. It would be a great reference to take with you to the nursery when you are trying to decide which plants to purchase for your beds. It has more color photos for identification of bedding plants than most of the Florida gardening books out there.
on June 5, 2003
Although not the most interesting "read", this is a great reference book for gardening in South Florida. Straight forward without too much fluff. The section on pest control is a little heavy on identifying pests and little light on how to control them but the rest of the book is very clear on the basics. Probably not the best book for an advanced gardener but I highly recommend it for the novice like me who wants the nitty gritty on how to get going in Florida but doesn't care about a fancy looking book.
on March 30, 2013
I am a new gardener, having just retired, and I checked out many books from the library. This is the one that impressed me most, and that I wanted to own It will be my bible for at least the summer, and I'm sure it will become a favorite reference book thereafter.
on January 7, 2013
Being in the Florida Agricultural industry for over 15 years I have literally read every book on the shelf when it comes to the Florida landscape. This one is BY FAR THE BEST.

Gardening in Florida can be an overwhelming change to people coming down from up North. This book answers every concern I hear over and over in the garden center beautifully. Im convinced that if you read this book you will understand more about how to deal with your garden and landscape better than half the guys out there mowing your lawn!

This book has everything from planting and establishing plants into the landscape to watering in different soils, transplanting plants in Florida's heat, fertilization needs, mulching options and uses, composting, how tree plantings and root systems differ in Florida to the rest of the nation, what to look for at a nursery when selecting plants and trees, how to prune, when to prune, how to deal with plants including palms and their nutritional deficiencies in Florida soils, cold protection, how to control Florida's weeds with our never ending growing season, the list just keeps going.

This is not a book of Florida plants but a book on planting in Florida. My favorite part is probably the extensive section in the back that deals with Floridas insect pests, if youve done much gardening in Florida you quickly realize that the drawback to a year round growing season is year round pests!!! It also goes into great detail on common plant problems that arent pest related.

I do agree with some of the reviews in that I would have liked to see the photos of insects and plant problem examples on the pages where they were being discussed. But again, not a picture book of plants but a book on planting in Florida, why its different from what your used to and how to deal with it. This book is an absolute fountain of knowledge, a "MUST READ" for all of those new to the industry or homeowners needing help with their Florida landscape and getting 10 different conflicting answers at their local "big box" hardware store. :)
on January 12, 2014
This book is very informative. The pictures give me some good ideas for the yard. I have completed one area of the yard and look forward to doing more with native plants.
on February 17, 2015
Just moved to Florida and this really is helping us decide what and where to plant.