5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart and Soul that Knew
Published on October 26, 2012 by Dean Edler

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good
Pretty good story....they got a little carried away with the whole visualization thing and Ted....I am sorry, but there is not a real man alive that would think and say the things he said. However, the authors provided beautiful imagery with their writing and the southern references were near and dear to my heart. Roll Tide Roll!!
Published on February 19, 2013 by 2mnychats

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart and Soul that Knew, October 26, 2012
This review is from: Your Gift to Me (Paperback)
It's funny how you meet people, get to know them, all via a remote impersonal route like twitter only to find a common background. I thought that was a blessing in itself until I read "Your Gift to Me". Although I say I know Bonnie Bartel Latino I really don't, however, from the first line of the story I was captured by the soul of the story and the heart that was put into it. It was as if someone was looking into my mind seeing what would resonate with me. I had not gone through the tribulations of the main characters but after 2 tours in Iraq and 1 tour in Afghanistan my heart and soul knew I was reading something special. Almost as if the story of writing within the story was helping the characters deal with their lives and trials if was simultaneously helping me see mine in a different way. How an author can write a story so well as to convey that message about its characters and affect the reader at the same time is an amazing gift to me. There is no pun intended, Bonnie, this is "Your Gift to Me" and I'd recommend it to everyone military or not. Due to my PTSD and TBI it is hard to read more than a few lines (like writing this review) due to headaches and blurred vision but I was compelled to read it, not once but twice now since I first got it on its initial offering. Do yourself or someone you know a favor, share "Your Gift to Me" with them and they will thank you for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely ACCURATE..., July 13, 2012
This review is from: Your Gift to Me (Kindle Edition)
HUGE accomplishment...Having Commanded at Air Force Special Ops and across the Pacific, I can attest that the deep research done by the authors brings the details to life with crystal clear accuracy. While painted as a "Fiction" work, the personal life events are real today amongst America's Warriors...life...death...and rebirth. Bonnie & Bob have dealt with this the "Best" I have ever seen or read...blistering exchanges...humor from bright to dark...and of course, the most delicate of feelings...Love. The emotions from war to family stay with you long after you have put the book down. Paul Hester, General, USAF (ret)

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Story...Important Book, July 5, 2012
Andy Andrews (Orange Beach, Alabama) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Gift to Me (Paperback)
YOUR GIFT TO ME will appeal to anyone who loves a great story. Both viewers of "Reality TV" as well as those whose taste runs to more sophisticated fare will find much with which to identify in this latest work from the writing team of Latino and Vale. What would you get if Stephen Ambrose, Patricia Cornwell, and Max Lucado teamed up to create a story? The result, I suspect, would turn out to be something very close to the compelling narrative found in YOUR GIFT TO ME. Get your copy right now, check your calender and carve out the time to read it. You owe yourself the attention this book deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your Gift To Me Review, March 30, 2013
This review is from: Your Gift to Me (Paperback)
The endorsements on Bonnie Latino's book, Your Gift To Me, praise her accurate portrayal of a military spouse, and they are, I am certain, well-deserved. I have had few opportunities to interact with our country's outstanding military men and women, but her book made me feel so proud to live in a country that produces such extraordinary, brave and dedicated soldiers. Having said that, I have, however, had multiple opportunities to interact on a very personal level with grief and loss. While losing both parents to different illnesses, I was losing my beloved husband to a slow degenerative and painful disease, which lasted eight years. All the self-help books in the world cannot compare with what Your Gift To Me has done to help me relate to my losses and to begin to feel something akin to Hope stirring somewhere inside. Would highly recommend this book to survivors of any losses, whether it be depression, guilt, death, dying, or maybe even just trying to live.

5.0 out of 5 stars The heart-readers, March 6, 2013
This review is from: Your Gift to Me (Kindle Edition)
You know how you read a book and think that the author just read your mind? Well, in Your Gift To Me, these authors read your HEART! Never has a story opened up the deepest needs of characters' hearts and then gone on to share how to meld those needs into mutual balms of comfort both main characters could use to connect and soothe. Heartache, fear, love, and humor all share a home in these pages to weave a story that you just can't stop reading!! THANK YOU, Bonnie Bartel Latino and Bob Vale, for writing such a wonderful book that makes me want to call up these characters and make a lunch date to meet them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, Sensitive, and Fun..., July 6, 2012
Joyce Faulkner (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Gift to Me (Kindle Edition)
Your Gift to Me is a hybrid -- a story of love and war spliced with historical fiction. The characters are almost too robust for simple romance. Ted and Emily's tale reminds us of wounds that don't heal, fears that won't go away, and life that remains forever disastrous and wonderful at the same time. Each has lost a soul mate -- Emily's husband dies in a fiery helocopter crash in Iraq, Ted's wife loses her fight with cancer. And with this background, Latino and Vale explore that most agonizing of situations -- do promises and bonds exist after death and if they do, how can the partner left behind reconnect with someone else?

Within the circle of this overriding question, the small military community supports and comforts each of them. Who else can understand this reality better? Emily and Ted's waltz includes a shakey courtship, sabatoge, and the threat of further tragedy. Latino and Vale write with a deep understanding of the joy and horror new love brings. Emily thinks, "Ted's obsession with flight was obvious. Like Gary had, Ted would always put flight first. She had no intention of competing with the ethereal mistress of flight. Not again. Not with a pilot assigned to a wing that, for no apparent reason, had airplanes falling out of the sky. Two pilots in Ted Foley's chain of command were dead. Dead!"

I read this book almost straight through -- relishing well-drawn side-kicks like "N'Awlins" and chuckling at the intimate interactions in this private society. Using prose that is both elegant and subtle, the authors write: "Ted walked a few steps beyond the foyer to the study. The strict military protocol between a general and a subordinate officer temporarily dissolved between old friends. Unobserved by others, their long-time relationship overcame the obligatory 'Yes, sir/No, sir' responses that pepper the conversation of military personnel of different ranks. Instead, the bond of personal friendship filled their conversation, a rare moment both of them treasured. Over the years, Ted had won John's trust and respect. Thus, he had also earned the courtesy of being on equal footing during private moments. Absolute professionals, neither man ever forgot which was the lieutenant general and which, a colonel. The fact was as absolute as eye color."

Warm, engaging - and oh so thought provoking, Your Gift to Me celebrates the resilience of human connections across time and space and mortality. This book will revisit you at night - often.

Joyce Faulkner
President of Military Writers Society of America
Author of Windshift, USERNAME, In the Shadow of Suribachi

5.0 out of 5 stars Your Gift to Me, July 6, 2012
This review is from: Your Gift to Me (Kindle Edition)
As a career USAF fighter pilot I have seen first hand, too many times, the devastation and aftermath that that comes with the "official notification visit" so vividly captured in "Your Gift to Me." I have seen all the lingering aspects that a crash has on the survivors and the mostly unspoken fears that military aviator's wives live with day in and day out. While on active duty I eventually began to wish that I had a magic video camera that could see into the future and could show a woman who's life had just been shattered that there would be love and laughter and new life some where down the road. Bonnie and Bob did a great job of capturing all of that in their book. They also did a good job of humanizing those of us who are sometimes labeled "zipper suited sun gods" and showing that some actually have a sensitive romantic side. And that well kept secret, "surely, surely" is true. Military aviation is a way of life that captivates all those strong enough to endure it. This GREAT BOOK gets it right!!!!Your Gift to Me

5.0 out of 5 stars An AMAZING book on all levels!, September 8, 2012
This review is from: Your Gift to Me (Paperback)
I have been eager to write a review of Your Gift to Me. It is important to me to do so for several reasons. First, it is an amazing heart-felt story with a great message. It is written like a great symphony and the words are lyrically composed. I am also an author but I only wish I could write like this. Secondly, Bonnie is a dear friend and somewhat of a mentor to me. Knowing her as I do, I am not surprised at the success this book has achieved in a very short time. Congratulations Bonnie and Bob!

With that said, I have delayed writing this review as I have struggled to encapsulate this intensely entertaining and emotionally driven story that draws you in and will not let you go. I have now realized I cannot sum this story up in a paragraph or two, so I'll just share what I think and feel. Your Gift to Me is fictional, but it plays out in real-life daily in the ranks of those who serve and protect us in the American Armed Forces. It is life. Your Gift to Me made me laugh out loud and shed tears, all within one sitting, but Your Gift to Me is more than entertainment. I already know it is serving as a healing for many who have read this beautiful story. Your Gift to Me is an important book that will be enjoyed for generations to come. I love Your Gift to Me. Read it! You will love it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a romance. It's a love story, July 3, 2012
This review is from: Your Gift to Me (Paperback)
Although YOUR GIFT TO ME by Bonnie B Latino and Bob Vale is classified as a military romance, this book breaks the boundaries of genre. It's not what anyone would expect to find when searching the bookstore shelves for a romance novel or a warrior's tale. This is a love story that will resonate with anyone who lives in a dangerous world. Those in the military and all whose work takes them where life is virtually all about Life and Death will understand the implications inherent in these pages perhaps better than the rest of us, but one cannot help but feel the intensity underpinning this story. Emily Meade and F-16 Viper pilot, Colonel Ted Foley are two of the most refreshing characters I've met in the past few years of reading popular fiction. Are they challenged by what life has thrown at them? Oh, yes. Deeply so. But, do they succumb to the deep dark doubts that often plague us all? No, they don't. No matter how much "smoke" stings their eyes and deadens their senses, Ted and Emily make their way to the nearest exit, breathe deeply, and learn to love more deeply in anticipation of another day. I was impressed by how well they worked their way-- together-- through dark times-- with class and humor. And when it comes to humor, who can resist that colorful character, N'awlins? She constantly outdoes herself. I do hope the authors will have a say when the time comes to cast this movie role, because Queen Latifa would be perfect for the part. I think the thing I liked most about this story is how both Em and Ted gradually enhance each others perceptions of their respective worlds. I love how Ted gently brushes away Em's pain and gradually helps her to re-build her own self-confidence and I admire how Emily helps Ted reconstruct a true sense of himself. Like the tiny origami boxes full of hopes and dreams that Ted gives to Em, Bonnie Latino and Bob Vale fill this story with precious moments. Just as these two unforgettable characters selflessly give tender gifts to one another, the authors offer us layer upon layer of personal enrichment and a deeper emotional understanding of the human condition. YOUR GIFT TO ME explores Duty, Honor, Country, Intrigue and Love. A love so profound that its embrace heals two deeply wounded hearts...

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is truly a blessing!!, July 9, 2012
This review is from: Your Gift to Me (Kindle Edition)
My husband of 35 years passed away 7 years ago of a brain hemmorage. I felt that this book was speaking to me personally, especially the parts on grieving. I had a difficult time coming to terms with his death - especially since I also had to make the decision to turn off all the machines after tests showed no brain activity.
"Your Gift to Me" was such a blessing at this point in my life. I have not opened my heart to anyone else, but feel that might be a possibility after reading your book.

Your Gift to Me