4.0 out of 5 stars Follow the steps! Don't jump ahead!!!!!
I had read DesMaisons first book "Potatoes Not Prozac". But, I didn't get anywhere. So I decided to buy her latest book and I figured out what went wrong. There are 7 steps that Kathleen outlines in all of her books. Me, being the impulsive and impatient sugar-sensitive person I am skipped these steps and immediately went for the detox. Big mistake!!!!!
I am...
Published on April 15, 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Your Last Diet! - or your last diet book?
Published on January 18, 2002 by Steven P. Weaver

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Follow the steps! Don't jump ahead!!!!!, April 15, 2002
By A Customer
I am still working on the 7 steps, but the thing I love about this book, "Your Last Diet" is that it reminds you to follow these steps and it shows you that this is not a quick fix. This is a program that takes time. Patience is the key. You didn't gain the weight in a day, so it's going to take you a while to lose it. And the weight is not the issue. It's the biochemistry and any other emotional issues you have with food.
The reason why this book stands out for me is it gives better reasons to take it easy. It gives better reasons to follow those 7 steps. This is probably because there's been more feedback and experiences with this program since the first book. Probably the biggest step I ignored was the third step - the journal. I thought I knew what I was eating, so when these wierd cravings came back, I was confused. Kathleen's reasons for this step explained everything to me. Without the journal, you are unclear about how your body feels about the food you eat, therefore when a crave comes up, you have no clue where it came from.
This book can easily be your last diet. Diet is really not a good word for this program, but I understand that Kathleen had to have a title that was catchy. But, you have to be patience and go through the steps. And I already know from my own experiences that life changes that occur slowly or at a steady pace last a lot longer than those that happen overnight.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changer!, March 27, 2002
Shani Ferguson (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I've read *all* the books and tried so many "diets," but never found one single program that was able to make a lasting difference in my life and weight. This book builds on the science explained in Dr. Des Maisons's first book, Potatoes Not Prozac, which helped me to understand that weight gain (and depression) WAS NOT MY FAULT, but rather a function of my sugar-sensitive biochemistry. That realization was key to 80 pounds of weightloss (and counting) and the kind of centeredness, confidence and happiness I haven't known since childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Editorial Review, February 13, 2002
I have read this awesome book and am working on step 1, adding protein to my breakfast. From day 1, I've been feeling much better and I actually see a light at the end of the tunnel of depression (and it ain't no train either LOL). I really recommend this book to anybody who wants to stop dieting and who wants to start living again!!!
I believe that this somewhat negative review would shy away people who love to eat a variety of food. If I didn't know anything about YLD, I probably would look for another book with more positive editorial reviews. However, I read it and I love the concept. And from day 1 I really felt a difference on how I felt in the morning by eating a good, filling breakfast, which carried me well into lunch time. The program focuses on slow and easy steps towards weaning yourself off sugar, unlike the Atkins diet. Therefore it is so much easier to incorporate it into your life. You're doing baby-steps not giant leaps that mess you up and are unsustainable. Also, you are not being told what to eat, you learn how your body reacts as you do the steps.
However, as I read the editorial for this book (after I had read my copy), I've noticed that the author of the editorial review said that you cannot eat white foods, which includes potatoes. Actually, if this person would have read the book, he/she would've learned that eating potatoes before going to bed plays a major role in stabilizing your chemistry over night. As a matter of fact, a whole section (step 4) is designated to stress the importance of the spud.
Also,what was that remark about the book consisting of more marketing than science (not the exact words, but same meaning). In my opinion, it includes enough science to explain to people outside the scienctific-profession how the chemical levels in your body can make you react a certain way. To be honest, if Dr. DesMaisons would've added much more scientific facts, the book would've been overwhelming for many readers. I'm more interested in the way her program can help me live again. If you are a science-buff, I'm sure she wouldn't mind giving you more details via e-mail. As a matter of fact, you will see how involved she is with her groups on her website at radiantrecovery.com and you can read the forum or join other online support groups where you can communicate 24/7 with other people on the program at different levels. If someone has a question that's tough to answer or someone posts something that's not correct, she is always willing to answer questions or correct readers.
Marketing? Marketing is good, if it makes people aware of what they need to know. In this book, Dr. DesMaisons merely points out sources and products that can help us in recovery. Also, she helps sugar-sensitive people to cope with their feelings and teach them how to get well. If this is considered marketing, it's great, isn't it? Again, just go to the website or the online groups and see what veterans or even newbies have to say.
Great book and great support! I love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The last diet book I will ever have to buy., December 19, 2001
Four years ago I put on extra weight because of health problems. That is when I started my diet roller coaster. I have a shelf filled with diet cookbooks and diet books. I did the Zone, I ate low-fat, no-fat, high carb, low carb and I swirled into a pit of depression and low self-esteem that I thought I would never get out of.
I bought Your Last Diet, when it was still an E-book, and read it voraciously. Dr. DesMaison's style manages to convey information while still being informal enough to understand. She's real. Your Last Diet taught me I was a Sugar Addict, and with Your Last Diet I healed my sugar addiction, and I have begun healing my life. In the process I also lost 20 lbs that had been impossible to lose because of Hypothyroidism.
I will never need another diet book. I haven't eaten sugar in 7 months, and if I slip, DesMaisons has provided the help me to recover from it. Her book is about progress, not perfection. Committment not will power.
This book will change your life. You will learn to love yourself and your body, and you will find a group of friends who will help you on your way to a radiant you.
In sort, this program works. If you know you're a sugar addict. Take the plunge towards healing and buy this book.
Buying this book is a great investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the last one for me because it's the BEST, December 21, 2001
After following this program for 1 year 4 months, I found all the claims to be true. I fit the description of "sugar sensitive" and I feel better than ever. Finally able to lose about a pound a week which NOTHING else accomplished. Plus the biochemical improvements - no more gray sadness, uncontrollable binges, mood swings. Oh and blood pressure and lipid profiles are better.
Just for comparison...
Better than low-cal - the support and balance of WW without feeling starved and (...) from spending points on whites & sugars. Also the 24x7 support is moderated like an everpresent WW leader, so if misinformation shows up it's quickly corrected.
Better than lowfat, high carb - all the great stuff from veggies, whole grains, and portion & fat control without the bloating, scary weight gain and dryness/skin problems from lowfat.
Better than lowcarb - the clarity and focus of lowcarb without the energy bonking and the sudden crave/binge from nowhere. Because you're controlling not only insulin but also the brain chemicals seratonin (impulse control) and beta-endorphin (feel-good schwinnggg!)
So what's the downside? You don't start losing the first week. You do maintenance first and then when you finally know what it feels like to eat right, you tweak for weight loss. Instead of starting on day 1 with a food plan, you have breakfast with protein. You take the time to construct your own program based on how YOU react to the steps.
This is the last food plan for me because it's the best I've ever been on, and I'm constantly getting better at it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my most valuable book next to my Bible, December 25, 2001
Fantastic book. I have all of this author's books and they have been life changing. I now know for sure that 99% of my problems that I went to therapy and read two ton of self help books over is actually body/brain chemistry issues. These are all being corrected with the program outlined in this book. I'm a new person. And the bonus is I no longer crave sugar.
I urge you GET THIS BOOK TODAY.
Edith

5.0 out of 5 stars HAVE YOU SEARCHED HIGH AND LOW FOR "THE ANSWER"?, December 27, 2001
D. Bristol (Morgan Hill, CA. United States) - See all my reviews
Over the last several years as I have had my babies and gotten older, the weight crept up on me until I found myself carrying around an additional 40 pounds that I NEVER thought I would have to battle! I have searched high and low for "The Answer" ... Weight Watchers, The Zone, Richard Simmons, low carb, low fat, low calorie, personal trainers, videos, machines, thermogenic pills and drinks ... my book shelves hold a selection of books that rival any book store and my cabinets are full of specialty bars, drinks and pills. To be honest, I DID loose some of the weight with these programs. However, even though I was lighter than before, I STILL was preoccupied with food, still battling chocolate urges, still on the merry-go-round of eating too much one day and starving the next. This is the only program that actually explains what is going on and WHY and actually outlines a way to heal this craziness from the inside out. If you are tired of searching and throwing away your money and your self esteem with each new diet plan tried and discarded, then I strongly urge you to read this book and get set for some fantastic REALITY!

5.0 out of 5 stars No more rollercoaster, December 27, 2001
V. Gold (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
This truly will be my last diet. After more than 30 years of riding the diet roller coaster, Dr. DesMaisons has shown me the way to end that insanity. By teaching us how to heal our special biochemistry first, really learning maintenance first, the gradual weight loss really is permanent. I have been following her program for about a year, have lost weight slowly and consistently, and feel better than ever. Knowing that there was a reason why I was unable to maintain the weight I was able to lose on any other diet program I followed so rigidly is very freeing. Now I am listening to my body and customizing this program just for me while following the outline provided in this book. The results are miraculous. If you believe you are sugar sensitive, you just have to try this to become a believer, too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Your Last Diet! - or your last diet book?, January 18, 2002
This time last year I bought Potatoes Not Prozac (PnP)after I stumbled onto the radiant recovery website. Having suffered from mild depression for over 20 years this book gave me hope to overcome the depression and also lose the weight I gained from overeating. I found PnP to be an excellent read because Dr D was able to clearly express the science involved in sugar sensitivity. I have followed the plan fairly closely for the past year, and while the depression is still there, it's not as bad and I've lost 30+ pounds. Initially I resisted purchasing YLD because I thought there wouldn't be anything new. I should have followed my instincts. The book is a definite disappointment - nothing much new, little or no "science" compared to PnP, and largely just 200+ pages of rambling. She spends far more time telling the reader how they will feel (too many testimonials that remind me of TV advertising) than what they need to do to get there. Too much time is spent on nonsensical topics like "finding your personal style". It seems Dr D was intent on capitalizing on the success of PnP and squeeze a few more bucks out of her readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my life!, August 6, 2009
This review is from: Your Last Diet!: The Sugar Addict's Weight-Loss Plan (Paperback)
I don't know what I would've done if I hadn't gotten this book. I almost didn't buy it. For the past year I couldn't figure out why I was so irritable and overwhelmed at times. Now I know - too much sugar!! This book is invaluable. If you have times when you have a really short temper and just explode, you need to buy this book. It's probably because you're sugar sensitive. I followed her advice and got the zinc, vitamin C, and B complex supplements and I feel like a whole different person. I'm not kidding. I did research on B vitamins and now that I know what I know, I wish I would've gotten them earlier. I was deficient in B vitamins. I have way more energy, am more focused, and have more self-esteem. B vitamins are touted for helping with depression. I didn't know I was in a mildly depressed state until I took the B vitamins. This is a very good book! Buy it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Your Last Diet!: The Sugar Addict's Weight-Loss Plan
Your Last Diet!: The Sugar Addict's Weight-Loss Plan by Kathleen DesMaisons (Paperback - November 26, 2002)
$14.95 $11.23