Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(2 star)show all reviews
on December 27, 2000
The premise that since Oriental women don't consume a lot of dairy products and have less incidence of breast cancer is plausible, but unproven. I shudder to think of the thousands of women who will change their diets based on this book. I am most concerned that the high intake of estrogens and phytoestrogens, especially in the soy products recommended, could be detrimental to some women. There is still controversy in the medical community about the use of soy. If you read this book as an interesting scientific, but unproven, premise, you will be fine. If you take this book to heart, without consulting your medical specialist, you could be opening a can of worms. Dr. Plant is a respected scientist in her field. As a breast cancer survivor and advocate, I question some of her findings. The studies she cites to validate her ideas are older, some of obscure practice and are not widely confirmed. I also take issue with her description of her own breast cancer diagnosis. It returned 5 times according to the author and yet she states that it was an early stage at diagnosis. The tumor on her neck disappeared during chemo and she credits only her non-dairy diet for this shrinkage. She says that it spread to her lymphatic system, but her lymph nodes were clear. The book is interesting reading, but while I do not doubt her personal beliefs or her expertise as an earth-based scientist, I do hesitate to recommend this book to anyone. I am afraid that too many women, looking for a quick fix, will adapt her lifestyle without question. There still is no known cause or cure for breast cancer. Feel free to search alternative options and methods, but please, discuss any changes in your treatment, diet or life with your medical team and make an informed decision.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on May 13, 2002
Dr. Plant's book is very interesting, and in many ways I agree with her: breast cancer has suffered greatly from lack of scientific knowledge: medicine is an art; it should not be relegated to the practicing physician alone but only as part of a team.
That said, I caution the reader to relize there are no such words as "survivor," or "in remission" when it comes to breast cancer: there are no objective, scientific analysis to prove any of the aforementioned. We lull women into passivity with 'positive,' sound bites, that are great for fund raising but do little for outcomes. The key is in the screening and diagnostic phase: once there is treatment question, diagnostic phase was flawed.
"Only in silence may breast cancer continue (C.J.H. Thompson 1998)." Never pay anyone you have not met and has spent time with you.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again