5.0 out of 5 stars An insightful and thought provoking book, July 22, 2012
This book is somewhat unusual in its presentation. It is not a book designed to make you feel guilty for not joining in every good cause in the world, and it is not a book that sets out to sell you on its plan for you to achieve all your financial dreams. It is a book that combines a strong argument for finding a cause you like (where you can make a difference in the lives of others), with some basic counsel on how to get your personal financial life in order so that you might maximize the amount of good you can do.

The chapters alternate between stories of real people who have accomplished some amazing things in serving and helping others, and easy to understand discussions of how to analyze and modify your financial situation for the better (which should empower you to go out and do more good yourself.) The book starts out with a personal story by the author that grabs your attention and makes you want to keep reading. The chapters that tell the stories of people who have found ways to really make a difference to the people they serve illustrate the variety of need in the world and the multiple ways that it is possible to make an impact on the lives of others. The financial advice chapters are basic enough to be understandable by those of us who didn't get our degrees in finance, but have enough depth to teach some important principles to enable people to take steps to improve their overall financial situation and take control of where their resources go.

If the purpose of the book is to convince and inspire people to find a cause and then go make their mark on the world, it certainly accomplishes that goal. It gives you the concrete examples that show how people can really do it, and the tools to enable anyone to make a plan and start doing it themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, July 31, 2012
Just finished this quick read, and very much enjoyed it. The author's writing style was very conversational and nicely paced. It is alternating chapters with an inspirational/motivational story of lives being changed, with a chapter on financial planning/advice to help you come up with a plan to do your part. No guilt for not doing enough, just an approach and some ideas on what you can do to make your "if I had a million dollars I would.." come true. I very much liked the tactial step-by-step approach to making a difference in the world, in very real and measurable ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, October 7, 2012
This book is actually about finding a passion in life and reminds us there is more to life than the day to day. It tells us how to make a real difference with our time, money, and our hearts. The author not only assures us that we make a difference, but he tells us how to choose our passions and focus them to make a maximum impact on our chosen cause. He shows us how to organize our lives to make great things happen. The author shares some amazing anecdotes of people who have helped and been helped, and shares his great experience and the fulfillment it gave him. It's very informative and exceptionally inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very inspirational book, July 26, 2012
I had the chance to participate in this project - I became aware of it following the release of Devin Thorpe's first book, Building The Financial Kingdom. I was happy to participate, but had no idea the real scope of this book and this project until I had the chance to read the book upon its actual release late last week. Wow! I was inspired by every story. What a great book, and what a great way for everyone who'd like to make a greater contribution to the world around them to get inspiration and practical guidance on how. I look forward to the ongoing dialogue around this book and this program, which I imagine will only be increasing in relevance over the seasons to come.

I have come away inspired and I would recommend this book highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good advice, May 17, 2013
I have been involved in philanthropy and either worked or volunteered in the nonprofit world for over 20 years, yet there was still advice that I found very helpful. It's a great book for anyone just considering how they want to leave their mark on the world and for those who have dedicated their career to making the world a better place.

His financial background and advice in that area made this book different from any other book like this that I have read. The financial piece may have been my favorite part. Though it's hard to say because some of the stories about what people are doing to help others were most inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark hopes more people make their MARK, May 1, 2013
Wait until 65 to retire and then help improve the world? phooey!
Read Devin Thorpe's book and start making a greater MARK on the world today!

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, March 8, 2013
I love books that make me want to be a better person and give me ways that I can tailor it to fit my life and abilities. The book provides guidance in helping on find their passion in life and really make a difference through the years. It also gives financial advice. I had previously taken some courses through work on financial planning and this built on what I learned there as well as providing other important information. It got my wheels spending some to think of ways to save money for my future and to give to my causes. These chapters are written in an engaging manner with humor injected here and there. I appreciate the creative touches on the chapter on getting out of debt. There are also several chapters devoted to charities. Devin Thorpe is very skilled at telling the back story. He weaves the chapters well as he tells about people making a difference. All of the respective charitable organizations and individuals are very inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, December 31, 2012
Loved it. I don't read a lot in the genre...I'm more of an escapist reader, but Devin's excellent book got me thinking *deeply* about a more systematic way to give back. The writing is clear and the stories inspiring. Kudos!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Philanthropist Next Door, December 19, 2012
Scott Openshaw (Las Vegas, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Mark On The World: Stories of service that show us how to give more with a purpose without giving up what's most important. (Paperback)
I'd call this book The Philanthropist Next Door. This inspiring book will give you a launching pad of ideas on how to make a difference in the world without having to be a Bono or a Gates. There's a whole world of opportunities (like service vacations) that you just don't know about. This is a unique book, there's not a lot of this out there. Devin works in a lot of finance tips and fundamentals that everyone should know who wants to spend their money doing something good beyond dropping change in the kettel. I disagree with the jacket description though that there's no guilt; I read this and felt like I should be doing more, and when you have the tools, there's no excuse. It's nothing that Thorpe hangs over you, but when you read the stories of people making a difference, you'll get it. Which is fine I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration and helpful..., November 12, 2012
The book is full of great tips on how to get your finances in order for yourself before making a plan to give to a charity or cause that is close to your heart. The financial tips in the book ranged everywhere from what you should be sinking into your 401K to how to get out of debt-and stay out. The thing I liked most about his tips were that they're reasonable, easy to follow and made tons of sense.