5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!
This book was my first book by Kevin Leman.
It came at the perfect time in my life and helped me a great deal. I dare to say that this is one of the best "self-help" books I've read on the subject.
And I loved how Dr. Leman is able to explain complicated issues in simple terms and straight to the point.

By the end of the book I feel I learned to see...
Published on November 14, 2008 by Karma Warrior

1.0 out of 5 stars Be your own Shrink
I would sugguest you save your money and buy the Birth Order book. This book is a rehash of that work plus an amalgamation of Gary Chapman's book The Five Languages of Love. I wonder if this book isn't a reponse to Leman's publisher to "give us one more book". I am disappointed when books are restatements from previous works and this is that kind of book.
Save...
Published on August 28, 2008 by Debora F. Noyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, November 14, 2008
This book was my first book by Kevin Leman.

By the end of the book I feel I learned to see the people I know/love a little different and I also learned to understand them (and myself) better.
Thank you Dr. Leman for your great advice and good sense of humor :)
I also highly recommend this writer's "Birth Order" book as well as his books on raising children.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must read for anybody who can read, May 10, 2010
I first heard about Kevin Leman on a broadcast of Focus on the Family promoting his newest book "Have A New Husband By Friday." He related so much to me as a male in relating to females and was such a funny guy that I had to go out and buy something of his to read. "Be Your Own Shrink" is that book.

This book is loaded with useful information about how to figure out where you belong in your family (birth order), what your personality type is, how your childhood memories play an important role in shaping who you are, and how to find out your "love language" (originally the concept of Gary Chapman, to whom Leman gives due credit). There is also a chapter on how to "Be Your Own Shrink" which I thought was the most valuable part in the book.

In this chapter, Leman talks about how to apply all the things learned in the previous chapters to change who you are in terms of what you think about yourself and how you can put all the tools (birth order, personality traits, childhood memories, and love languages) to good use in overcoming the rut you might be stuck in. A lot of this has to do with how you see your self and how you can change that to work for you.

I recommend this book and the other book of his I've read, "The New Birth Order Book" -- which goes more in depth about birth order -- to anybody. Great stories, fun to read, and just plain funny in parts. Get it; you won't regret it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be your own Shrink, August 28, 2008
Save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan, September 26, 2013
This review is from: Be Your Own Shrink (Kindle Edition)
I am a fan of this author who instructs with respect and humor. This book offers the same insight and humor as his previous books. So glad to have found this!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great stuff, March 30, 2010
I love Kevin Leman! He is so down to earth, funny and practical. This book is actually about 3 books put together so it's a great value in a small package. If you want to understand why you act the way you do, how to fix yourself and not be so hard on yourself or those you love, invest in this little gem. It's one of those books you can put down for awhile and pick it up again and start over and not feel like you missed something, that's part of Kevins genius too.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who hate self-help books, March 26, 2010
Jesse Beach (LAS VEGAS, NV, US) - See all my reviews
Please don't write me off as just another Choleric youngest child, with only child tendencies, when I say that you MUST read this book! And if you have no idea what I mean by that: Again, read the book. Dr. Leman has brilliantly combined four areas that make up who we are in a fun, eye-opening book that I could not put down. I obviously picked up this book- a "self-help" book- because I was unhappy with certain parts of who I was. I had attempted other self-help reads, only to find them smarmy and unrealistic. Dr. Leman smashed them to bits with his witty, straightforward approach. I walked away feeling as though I had just had coffee with a trusted friend- a friend who knew my strengths, my faults...and had me laughing about them in the end. I must issue one warning, though. I do NOT recommend reading this book in front of others, especially if you get embarassed easily. You see, the content is so relevant, so enlightening, that you may find yourself laughing outloud or saying, "So that's why..." out of nowhere. So, get this book (have I mentioned that?), find a quiet spot, and enjoy finding out the pieces of who you are! I certainly did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Your Own Shrink, November 30, 2009
Dr. Leman is an awesome writer/communicator. The book is informative and well written - and funny.

Be Your Own Shrink