Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Your Present: A Half-Hour of Peace: A Guided Imagery Meditation for Physical & Spiritual Wellness
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on March 3, 2003
Wow! I rarely write reviews, but I have to comment on this one. If you are looking for something in this genre, look no further. It's not just her perfect voice for this type of recording, but also the way it was recorded, she is very, very clear and yet very quiet and not obtrusive. Everything about this is just about perfect. I bought this and another tape, and fortunately heard this first. The other is a great disappointment, with the woman's rough voice and too-fast talking. Don't take a chance, buy this tape.
22 comments| 297 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2011
Overall I did find this audio cd relaxing. But there were parts of it I did not like. I found some of her words and whispery, sympathetic tone (esp. that "I know" business in the beginning, ugh!) corny but I imagine that's a bit unavoidable with this genre of recording.

My biggest complaint is about a particular section in the guided meditation that involves visualizing a golden box and inside is something that "you have been longing for" or something to that effect. You open the box and are supposed to receive that gift. I understand the point of the imagery. But the problem with it is...what if indeed the reason we might be stressed or feeling sad and needing meditation and more peace in our lives is that we have been longing for something that we can never have? The last thing I wanted to when attempting to relax and let go is to be reminded about this. Ultimately I was able to reframe it and see the "gift" as peace in my heart and move on, but that was an unexpected bummer for me.

So, just a warning in case anyone else out there is dealing with a loss, or struggling with dealing with wanting something in his or her life that will not happen...that part may not have the calming, peaceful effect the author may have intended.
88 comments| 211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2004
I have been very stressed lately which resulted in me not being able to sleep. I searched and found this CD, and honestly I doubted that it could help. For the past week now, I have been listening to this CD everynight right when I am about to go to bed. And instead of staying up all night looking aimlessly in my room, I fall into deep sleep and wake up relaxed and refreshed.

So far, I haven't listened to the whole CD, after 5 min. I fall into deep sleep. But the CD recommends that you keep it on even if you sleep. Your mind listens even if you are not awake.
99 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2000
I have really been struck by how much relief this tape has brought me - not just the first time I listened to it, but each time. This has impressed me because I have listened to all sorts of other "relaxation" tapes before and, while they've been somewhat helpful, I never really was as transported into a completely new mood as I have been when I listen to Your Present. There's something unique about Susie Mantell's voice that I really bond with. Her tone is so reassuring - it makes me feel like everything really IS going to be ok, even when none of the things I'm stressed about have changed! This tape really shows you how a changed in attitude or point of view can be everything!
My favorite time to listen to Your Present is on a long plane, train or bus ride. It really helps to make the time pass in a relaxed way. And if I'm in a plane and there's turbulence, it really helps to calm me down. My second favorite time to listen to it in bed before going to sleep - really helps me drift off.
Thanks, Susie Mantell, for creating something so soothing and helpful.
on September 24, 1999
I was given a copy of this wonderful tape as a gift several years ago...and it was indeed the perfect present then...and still is. I have now listened to it literally hundreds of times and know that I will never get tired of it. Every time I start to feel overwhelmed by life...due to the stresses of being a parent, running a complicated business, etc....I remember that the BEST thing I can possibly do is to get this tape out and put it right on. And whenever I do, within moments I start to relax, and feel so much better. Susie Mantell's voice is so incredibly soothing and beautiful...and the soft background tones that she uses also make me feel like I am letting go and entering into a whole other realm, where I can relax and just begin to unwind.
Everything she says, too, is just exactly what I need to hear in any given moment...it is so tremendously affirmative, just like a wonderul, dear friend there to be of total comfort and support.
I truly believe that EVERYONE should have a copy of this marvelous tape, becase we all have so many challenges to deal with these days,and we all need something like this to help soothe us into a better state of mind ...every day.
I have listened to this tape more than any other one that I own (and I have quite a collection of tapes, so that says a whole lot !)
I recommend it as the perfect gift for yourself and for everyone you know... there isn't anyone who won't appreciate it and listen to it time and again.
I am just so grateful that Susuie created this tape, and I really do hope that she's planning to create more like it. ( And a book to go with it would be just great, too.) THANKS, SUSIE, for making such a wonderful gift available for all of us !
11 comment| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2005
At the risk of sounding arrogant, I consider myself somewhat of a meditation connoiseur. I have been suffering from anxiety for several years, and have used meditation as my sanctuary in my most difficult moments. This CD is a part of my bedtime routine. Since I have been using this CD I am able to fall asleep gently, and stay that way. Mantell's voice is a magical experience. The background sounds only help to enhance the experience further. I highly recommend this CD to anyone seeking relaxation, or, perhaps, a quiet respite for an overly active mind.
on June 7, 2001
As a physical therapist in private practice for 28 years and treating patientswith chronic pain, I utilize Susie Mantell's masterpiece as part of a Fibromyalgia (and pain management) program. Our patients come away feeling relaxed and in control of their pain. Her beautiful voice, combined with her soothing words, allows our patients to feel more relaxed and live a better lifestyle. A fter listening to Susie Mantell's magical , "Your Present: A Half Hour of Peace", I have been able to not only enrich the lives of my patients, but my own as well.
on July 16, 2000
Your Present: A Half-Hour of Peace offers the listener a gentle journey to personal renewal as they enjoy the soothing relief and soft relaxation of Susie Mantell's warmly soothing narration. Your Present: A Half-Hour of Peace is the ideal approach for helping us to slow down, sit back, let go, and experience relief from the pressures and stresses of modern life through a wonderfully guided imagery meditation specifically designed for physical and spiritual wellness.
on April 24, 2003
I just ordered more for my friends! I've been raving about the power of this
relaxation meditation. I always feel so energized and rested after
listening--the whole process is so refreshing. I used this CD through my
pregnancy to help me relax, calm my fears, and send positive energy and
health to my baby. I was so happy during my pregnancy. Especially amazing
benefits came the first week we came home--a stressful time and without much
sleep. I would be so overtired that when I was able to lie down--I couldn't
sleep. One night I played this CD 3 times (between feedings) and sometimes
I don't think I got past the first minute without falling asleep. One of
the first days we were home, after a full day of visitors, my husband
ordered me to put my headset on and listen to it! My son will be 3 weeks
tomorrow . Now I am just elated to have this precious baby and I know if I
do start to feel depressed or depleted, Susie' Mantell's "Your Present: A
Half-Hour of Peace" will help us through!
on July 21, 2005
I found susie mantell's voice such a lovely soothing voice tha I would recommend the CD just for her voice! Her technique is quite efficient too. You will really relax during her half hour which she calls your present[privileged time to spend with yourself for yurself]. This CD is also a present, a gift to yourself if you buy it. It will create the desired effect and promote healing.

I like especially when she speak of a bridge to which you come; she gives you the choice to cross it now or later. So much of my life looks like a road reaching a bridge that it is a very speial proposition to me to consider crossing the bridge!

At least cross the bridge to acquire this lovely CD and spend so many relaxing half hours that you'll find really pleasant.