Your Sacred Self: Making the Decision to Be Free
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$12.48 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

In this liberating enriching book, Dr. Wayne W. Dyer teaches us how to tap into the power of our higher selves and live each day, regardless of what we do, with a greater sense of peace and fullfillment.
Your Sacred Self reveals a three step program to help us understand our place in the world and develop a sense of satisfaction with ourselves and others. Step by step, we can change the way we experience life-moving from our insatiable need for more, to an awareness of abundance; from a sense of ourselves as sinful and inferior, to an acceptance of ourselves as divine; from our hunger to acheive, to the detachment that brings true freedom.
Inspiring, uplifting, and illuminating, Your Sacred Self can bring the profound words of this unique teacher and guide into our lives and our hearts.

I have to add that this book has opened my eyes in many ways. At first I freed myself from outside influences by reading Dr Dyers book, Pulling Your Own Strings. Now I am not a sailboat, drifting on the sea with a fixed sail, frolicking about, at the mercy of every wave and breeze. Combining that with this book, to give me peace, I learned how to be effective at grabbing the control panel, that pull the strings of my life, which at times takes a bit of force. Then with the help of this book I learned how to achieve true autonomy. As Dr Dyer says, "I am complete unto myself"

I seek what is already inside of me. It is inside of all of us. Instead of looking to others, I know it is in me, and in you, and we are all one together. The ego gets in the way of that. He instructs us that the ego is at war with your spiritual self. Always thinking, always striving, but never arriving. "Be still and know that I am God"

Dr, Dyer taught me how to meditate. I always thought it was about sitting in a lotus position, humming mantras, like, umm umm. I tried that, it didn't work. Dr Dyer explains, that it is simply the clearing the mind of thoughts. Every thought has an emotion tied to it. Now when stresses are heaped upon me, instead of resorting to a destructive addictive, practice or substance, I now meditate and melt the stress away. It is simple. I lay down, with my arms relaxed, and my palms down on my chest. It can also be done sitting anywhere where it is quiet and undisturbed. I close my eyes, and let all thoughts disappear. I get to the edge of falling asleep, but stay awake. All of a sudden a calm comes over me. A feeling of peace, I know that I am at my core. I arise feeling refreshed, and undisturbed. Solutions are at my disposal. Things that I thought were important, disappear, and my mind knows what really matters, and I attend to it. I guess that is why I read an article that stated that a major corporation in America had a meditation room. The corporate executives get so stressed that they can't think, they push themselves away from the desk, spend ten minutes in the meditation room, and come back refreshed. Solutions appear effortlessly. The alpha state or relaxed state in brain wave terminology, is the state with the greatest problem solving ability.

Dr Dyer also frees us in this book from the insatiable need for more. Instead of constantly striving to have more and more, we become aware that we already have abundance. The irony of our thinking is that we are striving to have more, to prove to ourselves and others, that we have abundance, and in so doing we are spending the money and security we need in order to have abundance. We destroy that which we are trying to achieve.

When we find our core, our center, and our purpose in life, we then find that abundance comes, pressed down and full measure. "Seek ye first the kingdom of heaven, then all things will be added unto thee"

Enlighten yourself as have so many others, read this book. As a matter of fact, I would advise you to get all of Dr Dyers books. He has quite a few that have been released for quite some time. They are at a price point, that buying a half a dozen paperbacks, cost the same as buying someone elses, hard cover version. Life and truth are not exclusive to book cover styles. It will be the best investment you can make.

I've written too much already. Become who your really are. Let the noise and clamor cease. Your strength is found in nature and everything around us. Just have to stop and see it. This book teaches us how. People travel around the world, to learn that what they seek is already in their back yard.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2006
I have read most of Wayne Dyer's books over the course of the past few years. This is because find him to be more than an extraordinarily gifted writer, but rather a truly inspiring example of how one can not only change ones own life - but also dramatically affect the lives of others for the better.

This book is one of the best of Wayne's earlier works; I have bought several copies and given them as gifts to friends and family - I have also bought the audio version for those who claimed that they had no time to read. "Life changing" is an understatement as a description of this book and the overall lesson contained between the covers. No wonder it is still in print after over a decade. It begins with the words "You have been looking the wrong way." - and goes on to address many of the personal issues that confront people in everyday life. It gives insight on re-evaluating one's life and overcoming negative issues while helping the reader to find truer purpose to one's own life. Wayne gives several examples of how he overcame many of the personal things that were keeping him from full enjoyment of life. These included everything from lying and deception, to entitlement, to depression, and even substance abuse.

This book is for everyone no matter what their religious preference, while it includes both eastern and western philosophy - if focuses on the similarities of faiths and practices rather than the differences. That is to say - it works toward bringing people together in their ideology rather than dividing them, which is truly the fundamental underpinning of most major religions when one gets right down to it.

I have given this book or the audios to people that I know who are in personal crisis, people fighting addictions, and people recovering from major maladies, I can attest that this book and two others of Wayne's have been significant factors in changing at least a few of these lives - dramatically for the better. Keep up your wonderful work Wayne.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 28, 2000
After reading many books dealing with the spirit and our personal journeys here on earth, I still found myself at a loss on how to get from where I was in the present to all of the principles espoused in the books. It seemed as if I could grasp the concepts...but had difficulty applying them. Wayne Dyer's book gave a step-by-step approach that was clear and really worked for me. On several occasions, light-bulbs went on in my head; and I found myself so overwhelmed by the impact, that I'd have to put the book down and just say "wow". Not only do I recommend this book highly, I've given it as a gift on several occasions. The recipients have seemed to enjoy it as much as I did.
on December 28, 1997
One of the very best of many of Dr. Dyer's books I have read.
He combines some of his basic and essential thoughts from other books into this one, adding more of the spiritual connection and paths to getting in touch with one's spiritual self.

The format of identifying obstacles we have in reaching our "higher awareness" and to getting in touch with our "sacred self" and then telling us step by step different ways we can eliminate those old habits and obstacles is most helpful and easy to put to use. Not alot of "psychobabble".

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for more peace, more love, more of all the good things we all deserve, but who doesn't understand why they are not getting it. This book will explain why and show you how to get it!
on September 16, 2003
Before the day I bought this book I really thought,I've had enough with self-development books - because as we all know it most if not all of them are the same just like Romance books!I proved wrong, because
honestly this book changed my thoughts,and philosophies of life. It differs from other self-help books
like the day does from night.I liked this book so much that I am actually afraid to read other books, because I want the informations I have absorbed from it get stuck in my mind and applied in daily basis, for as long as I live.
Well done,Wayne - with this book you've given other writers a clue how a book should really be like.
One more thing regarding this book - Do not give up on the first 50 pages even though you may get confused a bit - remember that gold always lies underneath mud, so keep digging and get as much of it as long as you can because the term "it's never too late" sometimes is "no time left".
Enjoy the life you never knew - once you finish reading and
understanding the meaning of this beautiful book.
on November 25, 2004
If the reader is open to Dyer's message YOUR SACRED SELF is another amazing addition to his inspirational writings. Primarily this book deals with discovering and tapping into your true self - that knowing part of you which is eternal, has perspective, is serene, and sees only situations - not problems or conflict. However, the ego (our consciousness of ourselves as separate from this underlying essence) is a barrier -- and is in direct conflict to experiencing this sacredness we all share. What Dyer offers is a plan to remove our ego and all the strivings, judgements, internal voices, addictions, and negativity in order to discover the spiritual essence inside us all. Interesting Dyer maintains that by overcoming the drive, needs, and divisiveness of the ego that every hunger we have is sated or becomes no longer important. Meditation and the ensuing awareness is the key to discovery. This is a perfect continuation of Dyer's themes and fans of the man will not be disappointed.
on April 23, 2004
This book was different that most other books I have read.
It takes a broad brush approach to spirituality. I like his emphasis on seeking spiritual solutions to problems instead of material solutions to problems. It's not what we have on this earth that matters most, but the wealth of spiritual growth we generate during our lifetimes. He is also right on the mark when he talks of the connectiveness of all life, and for us to recognize this brings on a totally new awareness. As human beings we are all brothers and sisters, and the sooner we realize this, the sooner we will avoid the destruction that war will bring.
The only negative thing, some of his ideas seem to be presented in a non-scientific way. I would like him to blend spiritual and scientific thinking a little bit more.
Jeffrey McAndrew
author of "Our Brown-Eyed Boy"
on February 24, 1999
The most powerful part of this book is the section on becoming a witness. Since reading that section, I peacefully handled a situation that historically for me would have caused great turmoil. This book is for anyone who is open to believing that there is a divine purpose in all of our lives.
on March 29, 2003
I am going through major life changes...divorce, left my job, changing my behaviors...this book helped me to look inward at my self and the potentially hazardous ways I live (emotionally, physically, spiritually). This books helps to identify personality traits that you may be using that is keeping you from being your higher self..the book doesn't force or expect you to believe in God (if you don't believe) but it does make you look for a deeper connection with you and "your higher power". If you need direction, want change, want answers to why we do what we do, want to be joyful, content, and happy--GET THIS BOOK and follow its direction!! I thank my friend for lending it to me!
on April 3, 2001
This is the best book I have ever read on love. It is divine, uplifting and it helps you tune with God in the easiest, most compassionate and loving way. I highly recommend it.