4.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, first "pure fitness" game for the Wii U
Published on November 27, 2012 by Nutwiisystem.Com

3.0 out of 5 stars Great workouts; scoring doesn't work well at all
Published on November 25, 2012 by Kindle Addict

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, first "pure fitness" game for the Wii U, November 27, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 - Nintendo Wii U (Video Game)
The Your Shape franchise is one of those franchises that's been either hit or miss over the years. The original Your Shape for the Wii in 2009 was quite dreadful; Ubisoft tried to beat Microsoft to the punch by introduce a Kinect-like tracking system to the Wii, with unspectacular results (and the cartoon Jenny McCarthy still haunts me in my dreams). On the other hand, Your Shape: Fitness Evolved for the Xbox, introduced in 2010, was one of the better workout games for any system. Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 sort of falls in the middle. There are parts of it that are brilliant, even revolutionary, but there are also some glaring weaknesses.

You start out with a video of people having fun with the game. While the video was your typical fluff piece with people who are a little too beautiful having a little too much fun, what struck me was the crisp, high definition video quality. This is not your grandfather's Wii.

You start by creating your profile. I've played many, many Wii fitness games, and by far this was the most pleasant profile creation I've ever done, as it's all done on the GamePad. So, for example, instead of clicking an eternity to get to my weight and age (which is always a very humbling process for me in both cases), I just had to swipe my finger to enter information about myself. You can also choose your fitness level: couch potato, aspiring gymnast, semi-professional, and Olympic legend. Not sure why they couldn't have just said "light, moderate, hard, and advanced", but I got the gist of it.

As much as I liked the setup process, there were already some less-than-optimal things. First, you can't use the Balance Board to input your weight, which is one of the things the Wii can do that no other system can do. Second, they ask for your height in inches. Why not ask for my age in months? Finally, they have you take a picture with your GamePad camera, but don't tell you until later that your face will be plastered all over the world if you sign up for online access.

You then get to the main menu, where your options are "Play", "Profile", "Medals", "Store", "Options", and "Fitness Pal". When you press "Play", you're immediately asked if you want to sign up to use online features; once you do this you can work out together with friends by comparing your records to theirs. I do like that Ubisoft is embracing social features in their games; one can only hope that they don't end up abandoning it like EA Sports did.

The Play menu itself has a few choices:

1) Activities - There are two types of activities you can choose here.

The first is dancing to hit tunes. Your initial choices are Born This Way (Lady Gaga), Party Rock Anthem (LMFAO), She Wants to Move (NERD), and SOS (Rihanna). Each song has two versions: an easy "rehearsal" mode and a more challenging "performance" mode. As you earn coins (the internal currency of the game) you can unlock more songs. This part of the game seemed awful familiar and for good reason: it's almost identical to Just Dance. I'd accuse Ubisoft of ripping them off, but since Ubisoft publishes both I suppose they get a pass. As with Just Dance, you hold the Wii remote in your right hand and have to mirror the on-screen dancer's moves, and you'll get points and accolades if you do. The main difference is that the choreography here is much more carefully designed to provide you a full aerobic workout vs. the dances of Just Dance that balance style and exercise. As with Just Dance, you're pretty much on the "honor system" in terms of whether you move any body part outside of your right hand. But those who are tempted to "cheat" to get a high score probably should be buying this game in the first place.

The second activity is a really interesting on. It's called "Zen Flow", and provides some fascinating relaxation exercises. I tried the first one "Lotus Seat Position". You're told to sit on the floor crossing your legs, and then to hold the GamePad up to the screen. Then, while soothing music plays you move the GamePad to follow a pattern of light that's displayed on both the GamePad and the TV. The whole time, a voice will instruct you on how to breathe and relax. I admit I was skeptical at first, but at the end of one session I really did feel relaxed.

2) Classes - These are your typical calisthenics-type workouts, with an aerobics instructor talking you through classes which range from about 7 minutes to upwards of 30 minutes for advanced classes. There are different styles of exercise, including "Be Groovin'" (Aerobic dance), Kickboxing, Cardio dance, Zen Zone, Zen Arena (martial arts), Cardio, and Power Training (strength and conditioning).

Motion controls are a little suspect. They're not as bad as in the original Your Shape for Wii, but when I waved my Wii remote randomly, I got just as good a score (or in some cases better) as when I tried to match the on-screen instructor perfectly. If you're content to work out to the classes (which are excellent) and don't really care too much about your score, you'll be fine.

One very cool thing was that the GamePad gave a continual readout of the time remaining and the calories burned. I like how the main screen wasn't cluttered with that stuff, but anytime I wanted to see how much time was left in a workout I'd just need to glance at the GamePad.

3) News - This section is oddly named, as there's no "News" here, there are just reports of your progress and your friends' progresses if applicable. You can view high scores and achievements you've unlocked.

4) To Dos - There are many features throughout the game that try to incentivize you to play the game every day, including earning medals (achievements), earning coins (which can be used to "buy" things in the Store). This is one of the better motivations. Every day, the system will give you three "challenges" to play (such as scoring at least 90% in a kickboxing workout, completing a specific song with a certain number of points, etc). If you complete all the challenges you'll be rewarded with a lot of coins.

5) Program - This is another cool feature that lets you set up a recurring workout for up to four weeks. You use the GamePad to set a fitness goal (just for fun, lose weight, reduce stress, improve stamina, build muscles, tone upper body, and tone lower body). You can set the number of weeks (1, 2, or 4), the number of sessions per week (2-4), and your "favorite style" (e.g., dancing, fighting, zen). A training plan will be put together. They kept it pretty simple, which I actually liked; instead of setting up a calendar with dates they just show you a chart of workouts you've completed and workouts you have left for the week, and its up to you to do them as convenient for you.

Back at the main menu, you have the option of going to the "Store" where you can "buy" dance songs, new workouts, and trainer outfits. I appreciated the fact that they used all in-game currency that you need to earn by working out rather than charging real money.

Now, I've always felt that the single silliest feature of Wii fitness games from the past were when they gave recipes; did they really expect you to take your Wii into the kitchen? But with the Wii U it makes all the sense in the world, as . In the main menu, their recipes are under an option called "Fitness Pal". You can choose a goal (build muscles, child-friendly cooking, lose weight, improve stamina, reduce stress), and you'll be served up menus of very tasty-looking food that you can cook. And because you have the GamePad, you can bring it into the kitchen (and even play some Wii games as you're waiting for your water to boil).

Overall, I was very impressed by the Wii U features of Your Shape, such as the use of the GamePad to set up profiles, to display status, and to use as a cookbook. As for the workouts themselves, I was impressed by some things but not so impressed with others. On the positive side, the relaxation exercises are definitely groundbreaking and make good use of the GamePad. On the not-as-positive side, the workouts themselves didn't seem to be much more revolutionary than what we saw even in the original My Fitness Coach, and the only real "fun" part of the game was a copy of Just Dance (which begs the question, why not just get that instead?). I was hoping to see the kinds of "activities so fun you don't realize you're working out" types of activities they built for the Kinect version, but I didn't see any of that.

If you have a new Wii U and don't already have a workout game with great cardio and fitness exercise, I'd say this is a worthwhile purchase. For me, I'd probably wait for the price to drop a little before buying this one, or at least wait to see if the upcoming Wii Fit U moves the bar any better than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fitness Game!, January 29, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First of all, this is my first experience with a fitness video game. I have nothing to compare it to -- my review is based solely on my experience playing this game.

Things I like:
- Lots of workouts available, from Abs to Zen. (Hee hee!)
- The medals keep things interesting. There are tons of them, and they give you another reason to push harder.
- The daily to-dos (3 a day) are great for people who need more motivation to get moving -- also great for people who like to check off and complete a list.
- The online community makes it possible to see friends' scores and beat them (which you are occasionally rewarded for).
- A diverse selection of activities that keeps you coming back for more!

Things I dislike (or don't care about):
- Dancing. If I want to dance, I'll dance to music without a game. I am not coordinated enough to follow many of the moves. Also, not a fan of the music selection. But this is my problem...hardly a reason to knock a star off the review.
- The fitness levels on this game are far too uneven. It should take more effort to level up. I'm already a Level 3, and I've only worked out for a couple of weeks.
- The scoring is messed up sometimes. One of my to-dos yesterday was "Get 90% in any Cardio workout -- I had to redo the same workouts for at least 2 hours just to get that 90% to-do completed.

Overall, I love this game. There are a few things I don't understand, but I would definitely recommend this game to someone looking to enter the video game fitness world =^-*=!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great workouts; scoring doesn't work well at all, November 25, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
It shouldn't be surprising that this game has some problems, since it was one of the first out for Wii U, and the gaming system itself is clearly not ready for prime time (about half of the features won't actually work until some time in December, according to Nintendo). That said, my old Wii stopped reading discs a week before the Wii U came out, and I was lucky enough to get the new system on release day.
I have most of the fitness games out there and enjoy them, and really like some of the previous versions of this title from Ubisoft.
The Good:
The workouts are very good, with music that's motivating and not annoying. There are a couple of hit singles with dance routines, some yoga, some kickboxing and some classic calisthenics.
The Bad:
On some of the movements, there was nothing I could do to get the game to register any score at all; I tried moving the sensor, switching from a Wii Remote to a Wii Remote Plus and even changing my height setting in the system. Other movements register with no problems. The game also features a nice "to do" list of three items for the day, giving extra coins for completing those activities. But yesterday, the activities on the "to do" list changed in the middle of my workout, even though I completed one (and got the coins for it). Understandable at midnight, but not mid-morning.
Summary:
Great workout, but the ability to score correctly will disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great well-balanced exercise, November 3, 2014
I've been using this workout video game for over 6 months now and am having great results. I use it every morning for about 30 minutes. The workouts are not too difficult but do make one sweat. The thing I really noticed about these workouts is that they actually are toning up my arms, upper body and legs quite a bit even though I'm not doing the specific toning exercises. The aerobic routines work your entire body. I no longer use my elliptical trainer at all as I prefer the easy to follow exercise routines in this video game. I get a great workout each day and feel the difference. If you're looking for easily to follow, moderate exercise routines that will gradually whip your entire body into shape I recommend this video game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fitness program overall, July 4, 2013
This is great at home workout. If you know you will join a gym and never go, and you are disciplined about fitness, this could be for you. The activities range from a few minutes for warm up and cool downs to 15 minutes with extended time options. There are some workouts for kids and seniors, zen-tai chi-like, yoga, kickboxing, dance moves, cardio, body-part specific toning, and a program mode to let the game decide what your workout will be based on your input. There are classes to learn the routines. It also has some recipes to help with calorie intake. I would have rated it 5, but I found it a bit difficult to find the workouts I wanted. There is a to do each day, but no way to know if the Cardio Dance Workout they mean is in the Cardio section, the Acitivity section or the workout section. There needs to be a link between the needed activity and which ones it is. An easier way to view all activities/workouts/classes would be nice since I often spend too much time trying to find what I want. Overall a good workout system and will know in a few months how effective it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, May 3, 2014
Terri (Bridgewater, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I would give this 5 stars, but I used to have the Yourshape for X-Box and was disappointed at the differences between that one and this. The workouts are all solid and challenging. You can design your own program, which is great for getting back into a regular routine. I also like the fact that you can use rewards to shop for new workouts. I don't like the fact that you can't choose the gender of the instructor, and the program is somewhat sexist in how it assigns them. Guys get more traditionally difficult workouts like kick boxing and total body workouts, while women are assigned dance and yoga based workouts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like this alot, July 6, 2014
I had the original your shape game for the wii and loved it and had great results- so when we bought the wii u I decided to try this version. I like it and the workouts make me sweat but as I just had a baby I've been procrastinating about sticking with the programs! If you stick with it I think you could have great results plus it has programs for children and older adults that are easy and my 4 year old loves the dance activities! Great exercise for the whole family.

5.0 out of 5 stars great all around exercise tool, June 24, 2014
This is great! I've been using this for most of mgt workouts for over two months now and have lost weight and feel stronger. It really makes you sweat! You can work certain areas, cardio, dance, kickboxing, and yoga. I can't say enough good things about it. The only problem I can see is that the reported calorie burn is low for all activities and classes, but I'd rather report low and strive for more than giving myself credit for more than I've burned. This is definitely worth purchasing if your looking for an exciting and effective workout on the wii u.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously tough workouts!, January 23, 2014
Lots of content here with tons of workouts! Stuff I haven't seen anywhere else either! Love the interface and graphics too. And for this price it can't be beat! Don't miss this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty intense workout, May 8, 2014
I ordered this hoping to get a different workout experience from Wii Fit U. It really is different. The workout intensity is much higher, but still fun!

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 - Nintendo Wii U