Customer Discussions > Your Shape - Nintendo Wii forum

Your Shape Tips

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2009 6:37:44 AM PST
I thought it might be useful to start a thread of advice we have gathered that might help others:

- The clothes make a huge difference. I saw a 15% increase when I changed to colors that sharply contrasted with my background.
- Speed those arms up. I found that most of the time I was called on my arms was because they were slowing down. When doing core and leg exercises it is easy to have your arms slow a little. Keep their tempo and swinging strong.
- It cares about both directions. I have a tendency to be focused on the moving body part, not the retracting body part. The game doesn't. Both your moving and retreating body parts need to be in sync with the avatar and at tempo.
- Hands and feet not required. I was still able to score perfects when my hands or feet left the screen. As long as it could track my legs and arms and the angle they were at it had no problem. This means I can do just fine with only a 6' distance.

Any other tips? This is by far the most intense and rewarding workout experience I have had on the Wii (and I have most of the other games, and constantly search for more). I want everyone to get as much out of it as I am.

Let me know what you have learned

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 1:32:05 PM PST
energizer... says:
thanks for so much on the tips you seem to be liking this game very much. it's nice hear some postive feedback since seeing lot of negatives reports from other people

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 6:28:24 PM PST
Fit Mommy says:
After playing the game a couple of times, I finally got the camera in a good angle. So I am hopeful that I get a better reading tomorrow. Once the camera was set - it makes all the difference.

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 9:07:26 AM PST
Fit Mommy - how did it work out?
Energizer - it is definitely the best workout I have ever had on the Wii. I really like the forces you to keep up to tempo, and not slack off as you get tired. You end up working hard for the whole workout, not the first 75%.

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 10:20:04 AM PST
Fit Mommy says:
Lastalas: What types of workouts have you done so far? Are you following the calendar?

Much better - I think I need to actually wear a shirt with sleeves to get a better arm reading.. The new camera postition increased my readings, but I am still having some problems with the arms. I want to see if I can fix that because that is the exercises are adjusted based on your readings. I get an amazing workout though.

I think this is a game that takes time to adjust to. It is not an easy out of the box there you go. There is a learning curve with this game.

Posted on Dec 31, 2009 1:10:17 PM PST
S. Lipker says:
Anyone just using this for strength training with free weights. My plan is to keep my cardio routine on the treadmill and focus on strength with the wii. First day attempt and it was not very challenging in that area, mostly abs and yoga with too many rest breaks in between (why rest between yoga stretches?) Can't seem to find adjustment settings to increase difficulty.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2009 2:42:41 PM PST
Nothing consistent so far. I have too little ones who love to run up to me while I am trying to use it. They have been home sick a lot lately so I havent been able to. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon.

This game has definite learning curve.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2009 2:46:13 PM PST
This probably isnt good for straight free weights. I would go to a site like sparkpeople.com and use their automatic strength training programs and how to videos. This game seems best suited to cardio and muscle endurance.

To answer your other question, I believe it adjusts the exercises based on your workout results. Intensity will increase based on # of workouts and workout ratings. It also depends which body parts you tell it to work on. I have never tried the yoga program so I can't offer much there.

Posted on Jan 4, 2010 10:07:50 AM PST
Wheatgarden says:
I have wii fit plus, EA Active and now this. I like them all--each brings a different type of workout. Your Shape takes a little patience, but so did EA Active and Wii Fit when I first started playing them.
Tips:
I have a very fair complexion, and my "white legs" didn't show up on my cream carpet very well, so I use my purple yoga mat. It has really helped.

You can turn Jenny's voice off (I read in the directions--haven't tried). I kind of like all of the positive encouragement--even if it's repetitious. You get the same repetition in Wii Plus and EA Active.

I tend to modify. So if I've checked that I have weights, and she's doing an exercise for arms that I can use weights with, but she doesn't have me using weights, I just go ahead and use my weights. I do the same thing with EA active. I ditched the rubber band for weights after just a couple of weeks. Kind of challenging to hold both the remote and the weight, so this is a plus for me.

By choosing different body parts and strengthen vs. burn, I've gotten a fairly wide variety of exercises. I haven't been disappointed by this the way other reviewers have. It does use a lot of "old-fashioned" aerobics steps (like grapevine), but I think it brings a good mix. There's more to life than squats and lunges. :)
I think the lower price point is more appropriate. I know I'll use this for several months, and then pick up EA Active 2 b/c I'll get bored. I do love working out with all the Wii games--it's really worked for me regardless of what software I use. :)

Posted on Jan 4, 2010 4:24:46 PM PST
S. Lipker says:
Thanks for your great feedback. I am determined to master the settings to get a good strength training workout. Today I tried to add abs as a focus when she just recomended chest and I ended up with 20min. of one type of side ab exercise. Also, I wear a heart rate monitor and their calculation is way inflated ( by over 200 cal.) looking forward to anymore tips people discover!

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 10:49:13 AM PST
K. Boatright says:
I have a dark futon chair in the back ground and it really cause problems with the webcam seeing my legs....so I covered it in a white sheet and it works great. I find it reads me better it there is more light behind me....that way I am more of a silhousette and it seems to pick me up better that way.

Posted on Jan 15, 2010 1:14:53 PM PST
L. Cornwell says:
I have added abs to every workout so far and never have had any ab exercises to do. I don't know what I am doing wrong. It just seems to give me cardio every time and never adds the ball and only a few weight workouts are added. any advice would be appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2010 1:32:17 PM PST
Are you doing Abs and cardio or Abs and strength?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2010 1:48:09 PM PST
L. Cornwell says:
I have tried it both with burn and strength. maybe I should try tone

Posted on Jan 15, 2010 2:09:30 PM PST
Wheatgarden says:
Oh, my gosh, I did an abs strengthen (30 mins) the other day and all it did was work my abs. 4 sets of 20 leg raises, Side planks, Corkscrew, etc. I thought I was going to die--but of course didn't. :) Not sure why you wouldn't have seen similar.

Posted on Jan 16, 2010 6:18:18 AM PST
S. Lipker says:
I've been doing 75 minutes of burn, accepting her recommendation for target area or if no area is highlighted then I click on the bottom base. Every time I get 45 mins. Of cardio and 30 mins. Of strength. I have been using weights, 5 and 10 lbs. which she has increased with every workout. Yesterday I added a step bench and it was great for the cardio segment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2010 9:35:32 AM PST
L. Cornwell says:
wow thats great. today I changed my profile. I didn't use burn at all in it. just strength and tone. It gave me 30 min. of sit ups and yoga. all moves I have never seen before. I still see that the calendar has cardio days on it so I will still get those. She didn't use the weights or ball, but I am happy that I got some core work today. I only had 5 sessions before, so I didn't lose much progress. But if I were closer to the 9 or 10 day session mark, I would have worked through it and then changed my profile at that time. I believe it just takes time to fiqure this program out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2010 9:48:55 AM PST
Really glad to hear it worked out, and you found that setting that worked best for you. I think, I could be wrong, but I think it gives you harder exercises based on past performance. As you do more of these exercises, it may start bringing up more exercises with weights and the ball.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2010 10:48:58 AM PST
L. Cornwell says:
I think you are right. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2010 11:17:13 AM PST
S. Lipker says:
I completely agree that the workouts are getting harder. You'll be asked to do a fitness challenge and I think that's when she kicks it up a notch. By the way, I can't stand the repetitive music and the same comments over and over again so I have muted her and listen to my playlist on my ipod, I think that's the ticket to not getting burned out on this. Also, I used the stability ball this morning and she had me doing shoulder presses but for some reason the camera was not picking up on my moves- that's annoying. Oh and she does these leg raises at the end, anyone get these? They are really hard and she does lots of them. I have given up half way through and just do crunches. I know that decreases my score but at least I'm getting my sit ups in at the end.

Posted on Jan 16, 2010 5:05:04 PM PST
D. Cannon says:
I've been using Your Shape for about 2 weeks now and I really love the workout. I always feel really good and refreshed afterwards. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how everything works though. When I click on Your Shape (on the calendar) it goes to long term goal. I've marked my goal as weight loss and it seems to remember that, however when I continue to the next page I always have to re-enter my weight loss goal. Is there a way that I can make it save my goal? or do I have to just keep re-entering it?
Also, is there a way for me to track my weight on here? Because when I click on Your Performance (on the calendar) it takes me to my stats and the first thing to come up is weight, and it shows that my weight is staying the same, but it's never asked me to log in my weight after I initially did it when I started playing the game.
And one last thing, can I enter multiple long term goals?

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated =)

Posted on Jan 19, 2010 3:00:48 PM PST
DMBJen says:
Is anyone having problems with the Warrior 3 pose? I do it just like it shows and still it tells me that I need to check the tutorial.

Posted on Jan 19, 2010 3:59:44 PM PST
S. Lipker says:
There are several exercises that seem to not catch my motions. Sometimes making the room brighter helps but there are times that there is no logical reason. I think this is one the reasons why I mute the sound and listen to music, otherwise it will drive you crazy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 4:40:31 AM PST
Wheatgarden says:
I look at 3 things--check the tutorial, follow me, and the little "squigglies" good, nice, wonderful box at the right. If the box on the right is saying "good" things, I ignore the tutorial requests. If Jenny says "follow me" I usually watch the tutorial.

I have found there are minor ways Jenny does exercises differently, and if I look at the tutorial, I can pick up on the ways Jenny (the program) would prefer you do it, which then eliminates the annoying "check the tutorial" message. But not always.

I also have 3 kids, so I'm very good at "selective listening" (as long as I'm not doing something that might injure me.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2010 3:26:43 PM PST
L. Cornwell says:
I can never get the shuffle right. ever. how hard can that be. It tells me to check my arms. All they do is clap for crying out load. I checked the tutorial and count my steps and everything,. I just yell back at her. LOL. But over all, I am getting more exercises coming up now.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 12, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Your Shape - Nintendo Wii
Your Shape - Nintendo Wii by UBI Soft (Nintendo Wii)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (295)