5.0 out of 5 stars Yous Songs is great!!!
Published on September 28, 2009 by Bup FX

2.0 out of 5 stars Musical Botox
Published on September 29, 2009 by David Cady

2.0 out of 5 stars Musical Botox, September 29, 2009
This review is from: Your Songs (Audio CD)
There's a very interesting article from The Globe and Mail online that chronicles this, Harry Connick's first (and hopefully last) collaboration with mega-producer Clive Davis. Connick claims that the album was "the kind of...market-minded disc that [he] thought he'd never do, `not in a million years.'" Connick is quoted as saying that working with Davis at times left him "pissed" and "humiliated," and feeling "What am I doing, auditioning for this dude?" If there's proof positive that an artist of Connick's caliber should trust his own instincts, it's this seriously misguided collection of pop pablum.

The album starts with a fairly standard big-band arrangement of "All the Way," that clearly tells us we're in "When Harry Met Sally" territory. Which is fine, that's a place in which I'm more than happy to live. But what follows is dreadful: a cheesy version of Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" that turns this simple, Grammy-winning classic into the theme from "Love, American Style." And other tacky renditions of tacky songs follow: A hokey, bluegrass version of Elton John's "Your Song;" Easy Listening takes on Beatles and Burt Bacharach tunes; a lackluster, rinky dink "Can't Help Falling in Love With You" that made me want to sway and hold up a lighter. Wynton Marsalis' trumpet solos only reinforce that's it all very Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.

I've always regarded Mr. Connick as an arbiter of good taste and classy jazz, neither of which he displays here. There are thousands of brilliant, moving standards out there, and instead we get...Don McLean's "And I Love Her So?" Really? Disheartening to say the least.

To be fair, not all the tracks misfire. The abum's last three, including "Who Can I Turn To?" (which I was expecting to go over the top) are actually restrained and heartfelt; and the Nelson Riddle type arrangement for "Besame Mucho" works quite well. That it's pretty much the same one employed for "The Way You Look Tonight" and "Some Enchanted Evening" speaks again to just how uninspired and cookie cutter this album feels and sounds.

I'm not sure how reproducing the Perry Como Songbook is keeping Mr. Connick relevant, but Clive Davis has a plan. He did, after all, bring Barry Manilow back from the dead, and got a Grammy for doing so. We can only hope he confines himself to producing, and doesn't introduce Connick to Mr. Manilow's plastic surgeon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yous Songs is great!!!, September 28, 2009
Bup FX (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Songs (Audio CD)
If anyone knows Harry Connick Jr., they know what a great musician he is. This cd shows off those talents and then some. Harry shines through the most creative and thoughtful covers of some of the best and most well known songs of our time. Harry covers Nat King Cole, Sinatra and Billy Joel (among others) and does them all extraordinarily well. This man is a true artist, and Your Songs is true art.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite Harry Connick CD, October 22, 2009
SoHappy (Syracuse, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Songs (Audio CD)
This is a good CD, though not my favorite of his works. It would make nice background music, but didn't capture my attention enough to sit and simply listen for the hour. I liked the song selections as they are classic romantic hits. Harry's voice is strong as usual, though his rendition of several of the tunes didn't do the songs justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, September 28, 2009
C. Boyd (Knoxville, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Songs (Audio CD)
This is one of those light-the-candles, turn-the-lights-low, fetch-the-wine CDs that you just put in when you want to tune the world out for a little while. Harry does the artists proud with his renditions. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the family, September 27, 2009
This review is from: Your Songs (Audio CD)
My wife pre ordered this album and we have been listening to it constantly. It's in the car and the house. My kids are now singing along to all of the classics. It is great to have some music the whole family can enjoy together.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE CD, September 28, 2009
This review is from: Your Songs (Audio CD)
This is a must have CD! Its great for all ages and its just one of those makes you feel good easy to listen to cd's.
This was my first Harry Connick cd..I don't know why I haven't purchased one of his album's sooner because he's a very talented singer/song writer but I can promise it will NOT be my last and has quickly become one of my favorites! I did think upon reading the song titles that I'd have a certain few favorite songs but once I listened to the album not once or twice but several times now this past week I cannot find just a few favorite songs..I love them all! Its a great album that I plan on giving as a gift for friends and family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich as velvet and smooth as silk, September 29, 2009
This review is from: Your Songs (Audio CD)
Harry Connick, Jr's YOUR SONGS, are indeed songs that I have always loved. He has taken the iconic hits of master singers and made them his own, and in doing so, given them back to me. From Elvis to Nat King Cole, I am taken back down memory lane with these rich and smooth hits of the past and present. I feel this will be one of Connick's best selling albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, September 28, 2009
This review is from: Your Songs (Audio CD)
This album is a pleasure to listen to. The songs are all classics and are done tastefully. Some even got totally new arrangements to spice them up. It's the kind of album that can put a smile on your face and calm you down no matter what is going on in your day. Although I love Harry's original music, this album delivers YOUR SONGS with class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey, it's good, it's just not great., September 27, 2009
Monty Moonlight (Austin, TX, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Your Songs (Audio CD)
Harry's back with a new 14 track album of old favorites requested by fans, "Your Songs". Now, I'm a longtime Harry Connick, Jr. fan. He's probably my favorite singer, yet I can understand the animosity some fans have towards this latest CD of his. Overall though, it's enjoyable. I like it. I don't love it. There's not much to get really excited about. It's good. Some of it is great. Nothing blows you away and some of the songs you know and love are just too directly identified with certain other great singers that you really only want to hear them from those singers. For example, why would you want to hear anyone but Elton John sing "Your Song"? Or how about Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are"? As far as songs go, these are two of the best on this CD, and that's not good since they have certain sounds that are practically only pleasing from the original singers (or Ewan McGregor? Ha) and aren't really the right style, in my opinion, for Harry. I singled out those two in particular because I didn't feel they translated well to Harry's style (Billy's songs even are a tad dated, though I love them anyway coming from him). Harry sings them okay, but... Another that falls into this realm somewhat is "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You"; sorry, too used to Elvis doing that one. And what a hodgepodge of songs this album is. Nevertheless, there are some fine moments. Yes, "Mona Lisa" will forever be associated with the great Nat King Cole, but because the style is so right for Harry, his version is very pleasing and probably the highlight of the disc. "Bésame Mucho" is another delight from Harry, as is "The Way You Look Tonight". Harry's take on "And I Love Her" is quite good, and so are "Close to You", "Smile", and "Some Enchanted Evening". On the other hand, "And I Love You So", "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", and "Who Can I Turn To" are snooze-fests. Always felt that way about "First Time" though, and not really familiar with the other two. "All the Way" is good, but begs to be a little more peppy.

Overall, the performances are fine but a bit too often feel overly relaxed, even for this genre, and with the upbeat selections sometimes being too awkward. But then there are those real gems of "Mona Lisa", "Bésame Mucho", and "The Way You Look Tonight". It's kind of a strange collection of songs all together, I think, but putting that aside, it's still enjoyable and I can say I like it, but it's low ranking on Harry's album list for me. For some reason, this put me in mind though of Harry's "Songs I Heard" album, which is a collection of songs from Harry's favorite movie musicals. I have to say, I absolutely love that one. Wish he had made a sequel to it. That one and Harry's Christmas albums are still my favorites from him. But in this album's defense, even Harry's renditions of Joel and John grow on you when you hear them enough...

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Harry, but not quite the best Harry., October 22, 2009
B. Martin (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Songs (Audio CD)
If you are a Harry fan already, you will be glad to add this to your collection. I don't think I'd recommend it for a first timer, though. He's still got the amazing voice that makes me all melty...and "Some Enchanted Evening" brought me to tears- it was one of my mother's all time favorite songs and hearing it in his voice, knowing how much she enjoyed his music- it just hit home. This CD will be a frequently played one when I want some mellow, chill music to hang out or have playing during dinner...especially when I need to remember my mom. Its like comfort food for my ears.

Your Songs
Your Songs by Harry Connick Jr. (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies