4.0 out of 5 stars Logically-organized clear information...
I read the other reviews, but decided to pick up this book anyway, and I'm glad I did. It makes quick reading, because parts of it are in a question-and-answer format, and you can just skip the questions that don't apply to you.

Published on July 21, 2004 by J. Chendea

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money
The book is okay and somewhat informative but does not offer any true guidance as to what should a vegeterian woman eat during pregnancy. Very dissapointed. Waste of money.
Published on April 2, 2010 by BCCA

4.0 out of 5 stars Logically-organized clear information..., July 21, 2004
This review is from: Your Vegetarian Pregnancy: A Month-by-Month Guide to Health and Nutrition (Fireside Books (Fireside)) (Paperback)

I don't think the topics are so dumb that you don't deserve to be pregnant if you ask them (?), but perhaps that's because I'm a childbirth professional and have been trained to address questions of all sorts nonjudgmentally.

What I like the most about this book is that it presents nutritional information in a way that I've never been able to find it: logically, comprehensively, and specifically for vegetarians and vegans. I was a little suspicious after reading in a review that she claims one cup of tofu has 40 grams of protein (which she does), and a quick check of my fridge shows that a whole package of tofu contains around 35 grams - but who eats a whole package in one meal?

It is bothersome that she doesn't cite her information consistently, sending me to my fridge or online to corroborate her information, but on the other hand we should never be relying on any one source for information about our health.

I especially like her tables and lists: clear, simple RDAs; examples of foods to eat that are rich in each of the vitamins and minerals, and especially her clear breakdown of lipids (fats and fatty-acids), and what foods provide them. Her information on what's in prenatal vitamins and whether they are or are not veg-friendly is great, in a small section that suggests exactly how much of the vitamins it should have and from what sources.

If you can avoid bits of vague misinformation and don't mind the question-and-answer format, this book is a clear distillation of a confusing abundance of nutritional information that vegetarians and pregnant or trying-to-be-pregnant moms need.

4.0 out of 5 stars good resource for vegetarian moms, September 26, 2005
I'm so glad there are some great pregnancy books geared just for vegetarians. This book is very helpful, especially for first time moms who are wondering about everything. I like the nutrition part and I found that a great companion to this book is "The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook." Out of all the books I read, these are the two that I will keep and refer to with future pregnancies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starting point with a lot of nutrition information, January 31, 2005
I enjoyed Dr. Roberts' book as the first book I read when I found out I was pregnant (and newly vegetarian at the same time). I did find the Q&A format a little tiresome, and I wish she would put the chapters in more of a topical order, saving the "what could go wrong" or "what does this uncommon symptom mean" questions for the end. I have too many pregnancy books that require weeding through information to skip the scary stuff and just get the basics. However, I really enjoyed the tone of this book - she writes with a gentle compassion and supports her case well that being vegetarian while pregnant is a beautiful thing for both you and your baby. She does not push her cause, but rather provides the information with great explanation. There is a large amount of nutrition information that illustrates how much vitamins, nutrients, etc. are in plant-based foods. I found this very helpful. This is a good initial resource for pregnant women concerned about their and their baby's nutrition.

5.0 out of 5 stars great reference book, September 22, 2011
I've been a vegetarian for 25 years, and never worried about my diet. I'm stronger, more active, and healthier than my meat-eating friends and relatives, so I never felt that anything was lacking!

In planning my pregnancy, however, I wanted to research nutrition. That's when I bought this book, and it was so helpful to me. The information is laid out in a very organized fashion, making it a great reference book. Right off the bat, I used this book to help me select an excellent prenatal vitamin (the one that my doctor prescribed was pretty useless ... it was basically folic acid with little else). It also helped me analyze the content of my meals, and pump them up appropriately to meet the greater requirements recommended for pregnant women in each of the three trimesters. I picked up some great tips about absorption of different nutrients--prior to reading this book, I was combining foods in a way that lessened my ability to absorb iron, for example. After following the advice in this book for a few weeks, my blood work came back noticeably stronger.

I really appreciated the reassuring tone in which it was written, as well. There's a culture of fear around pregnancy and childbirth, which is so unnecessary, and unhealthy for mother and baby. Dr. Roberts successfully educates her readers about various complications and conditions that may arise during pregnancy, but she does so in a constructive way. I recommend this book to all pregnant women-- vegetarians and carnivores alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite pregnancy book!!!, June 19, 2005
I bought about 4 pregnancy books and I liked this one the best - no doubt about it. The question and answer parts were really helpful and easy to read. But the thing that I appreciated the most was her compassion and her understanding of what it is like to be human, horomonal and going through the ups and downs of being pregnant. I am a vegetarian but I'm not obsessed with minute nutritional details so thank you for not boring me with that! The book focused on what to expect each month as a pregnant woman and in addition how to do it as a vegetarian. At the end of my pregnancy when I was so hormonal, this book gently reassured me that what I was going through was normal. Thank you Dr. Roberts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, April 2, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful read!, May 22, 2010
Let me start off by saying I have been veg for 20 years and vegan for 12. I had been looking for info on having a healthy vegan pregnancy but most of what I found had to do with smoking, illegal drug use, etc. which was not helpful in my case. I was over joyed when I found this book. It's an easy read and really informative. I was a bit nervous when thinking about pregnancy and it really eased my nerves. It spells out what you need, how much you need, and where to get it. This book was worth the money and then some!

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, May 29, 2013
I would recommend this book to whoever is thinking of surviving a vegetarian pregnancy. My wife is a vegetarian and I eat just about anything. This book helped me learn and helped me help her eat right during her pregnancy.

The book is written in very simple language in a question and answer form. It tends to be repetitive in the first few chapters but after a few pages it is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, February 16, 2013
I have never been compelled to write a positive book review on any website, until now. I have been a vegetarian for 2 years and decided only a week ago to try a vegan diet (based on seeing Forks Over Knives and wanting to make the healthiest food choices possible). As I also start thinking about having my first child, I have had a lot of questions, concerns, and thoughts on how these two life choices would impact one another -- and haven't been sure to ask. When I randomly saw "Your Vegetarian Pregnancy" on the shelf at my local library, I knew I had to read it. Even a few pages in, I cannot describe what a breath of fresh air this book was for me. It was full of relevant facts and reassurance, and it spoke my language. It was great hearing from an OB-GYN author who is vegetarian herself AND has had children. I read the entire book in one evening, taking notes and reading aloud to my husband along the way. I loved her words of wisdom at the beginning of each chapter, including the message that, as a vegetarian, I "have the peace of knowing that [I] will bring [my] child into this world without taking another life." Exactly. Perfect. Thank you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vegetarian Prenancy is barely about Vegetarian Pregnancy!, September 20, 2003
I bought this book because I am a vegetarian thinking of getting pregnant and needed a book specifically to target that fact. I was recommended this book by an Amazon employee actually who told me I should wait for this book to come in July cause it was worth waiting for. Considering it's a 378 page book it barely talks about vegetarian related pregnancy issues and instead focuses way more on just standard health issues and concerns related and not related to being pregnant. It's few and far between that it actually deals with vegetarian pregnancy related issues. Many of the question need to be gathered up into a Pregnancy for Dummies book cause they are so incredibly stupid that it's the only place questions like that should belong. If women are actually asking some of these question they have no right having a child! Anyhow, the parts that do deal w/ being vegetarian and being pregnant are good and welll thought out, but I wanted a book that fully dealt with this topic as there was no way for me to know this book would not be that book since it's title is YOUR VEGETARIAN PREGNANCY!!!!!

$18.00 $14.04