Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 4, 2009
It is a fun concept to make your own choices while reading a story and then re-read the story multiple times making different choices and ending up on different adventures. The stories are simple but a fun read for my five year old. There was some frustration with missed opportunities and confusing connections until we figured out that on page 43 where it says "Turn to page 11" it should have been page 12.
If you aren't acquainted with the format, the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books promise some extra fun by allowing readers the chance to make some decisions and take the story line down one path or another.

In the case of this book there are twelve possible endings. Unfortunately quite a few of them are "sub-standard", even from a child's perspective. [My own sample audience is a 6 year old boy.] In one ending, for example, the robot flies into a big pile of ice cream and the president of the company charges you --you become a defacto character -- $800 dollars for the damage; while in another situation the robot leaves you having to replant a neighbors rose bushes because your robot exclaims, "SORRY! I AM NOT PROGRAMMED TO PLANT ROSE BUSHES." Don't know about you, but we didn't find it all that entertaining.

As to an official Reading Level (aka Accelerated Reading or ATOS) none is listed. But the word level is fairly advanced and at least at the 2nd Grade level. Which makes the silliness probably even less attractive since I'm assuming older children would be a bit more discriminating than than my 6 y.o. boy.

Here's an example of text from page 18 so you can judge the level for yourself:

===============================
"Now I will try pressing your RUN button," you tell him. So you do--and off he runs.

"Terrific!" you cry, and you turn him off before he can run too far.

"Say, maybe if I let you run fast enough, you could take off, like a plane!" you say. "But, of course, I don't know how to fly a plane. So that might be dangerous."

"Besides there a lots of things we could do in the yard. We could build a fort. That might be fun."

But you keep thinking about flying. Should you try it? Or should you build the fort?
===============================

Two Stars ::: Try this one out at the library first. The reading level is fairly sophisticated, but most of the plot endings aren't.
44 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 27, 2007
I was really looking forward to sharing the choose your own adventures books with my 7 year old nephew. This one was tagged as being for 6-12 year olds. It was extremely boring for the 7 year old, but the 3 1/2 year old thought it was pretty decent. I don't think either of them will pull it off the shelf to read it or have it read. It falls far short of what I remembered.

UPDATE 9/29/2008: The four and a half year old has begun asking to have it read... I think the thrill of being able to choose is a big plus. So for younger pre-readers it's a decent book, it's just not for school age kids.
on March 6, 2015
I have 2 daughters, 10 and 7. My 10 year old is dyslexic and reading is a struggle for her. We got a CYOA book for her from a used book store and she fell in love. She reads a little bit of it nearly everyday and it's so great to see her excited about reading. Our 7 year old is a born reader and has always loved books, but the CYOA we bought the older girl is still a little advanced for the young one. This CYOA, however, is perfect for her level and she loves reading it as well!
on July 16, 2015
When I was a little girl we used to read these wide eyed until we reach the ending! Unsatisfied, I'd start all over again and do another story, and another story, until I've exhausted all possibilities. Sometimes, my sister would accuse me that I peek at the endings. Lol. That was 30 years ago. Now I bought it for my 6 year old son hoping he will catch the fervor I had for these books, I never wanted to put these books down!
on October 17, 2015
Perfect for my 7 year old son. It's age appropriate, the text is large, illustrations are colorful, and we love all the different story lines. Great product! This is a great transition from beginner level to chapter books.
on January 14, 2013
I loved Choose your own Adventure books as a kid, and couldn't wait to introduce them to my own children who are 5 & 8. I chose to start with one that had full-color illustrations and this sure did start us off right! It is a beautifully illustrated book, with heavy pages that will stand up to many readings. The children love taking turns picking the adventures while we read at bedtime and are totally blown away that the story can be over, and start again, without having reached the back cover!!!
on December 27, 2013
I loved these types of books when I was a kid, so I bought this one for my 7 year old son and it is even better than the ones from when I was a child because there are fantastic pictures in them as well. Your child will love the fact that he gets to lead the story with his decisions!!--a great buy:)
on March 10, 2014
I used to read this series of books when I was a kid. I bought this for my son when he seemed interested as I told him about them. He liked it very much and read it over and over again until he found a story that led him to every possible ending.
on March 26, 2015
I love the series and am excited to introduce interactive fiction to my 4-yr-old. This book, however, is pretty poorly put together. The story is nonsensical and the various endings seem entirely random. Maybe I'm asking too much from these beginner books but I just can't recommend.