Customer Discussions > Abbey Road forum

Your least favorite Beatles Song

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2011 4:28:24 PM PST
I love the Beatles and I don't hate any of their songs. So I was wondering what some other Beatle fans least favorite songs are.
Mine are: Because and Mr. Moonlight

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 4:14:45 PM PDT
Your Mother Should Know
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 8:43:40 PM PDT
Gary Wheeler says:
I totally agree with your choice of Mr. Moonlight as the worst Beatle song ever. Because isn't very good either, but it is sort of one of those lead in pieces to the rest of the Beatles medley on side 2 of Abbey Road, so I wouldn't pick it as their 2nd worst song, but it isn't very good, I agree. Ringo doing Boys, or What Goes On might be my other nominees for worst Beatle song, although I did sort of like Paul's harmonizing on the latter song.

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 9:23:25 PM PDT
Ya, I try not to pick on Ringo too much because he didn't have a whole of choices singing whise. But Don't Pass Me By could replace Because at number 2

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 7:21:13 AM PDT
Bonnie Billy says:
Come Together

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 3:36:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2011 3:37:17 AM PDT
Hinch says:
My least favorite is one a lot of people seem to like "Across The Universe".
It's still a good song, just my least favorite.

Another of my least favorites is "Octopuses Garden".

I'm a big Beatles fan and had turned 13 a few days before their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show.

A lot of people name "Mr Moonlight" as one they don't like. I've never understood why. I've always like it a lot and love Lennon's vocal on it.

"Because" is one of my very favorites!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 8:14:44 PM PDT
Just never amazed me like most Beatle songs, but you like Because and I like Across the Universe

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 2:10:07 PM PDT
Russell Dean says:
Choosing the worst Beatles song is kind of like trying to decide which is the worst bite from a delicious meal... for me anyways. I guess I would have to go with Revolution #9 because I'm usually full by then and will just skip it for dessert (Goodnight).

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 4:45:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2011 4:51:40 AM PDT
R Soul says:
I love Ringo the drummer. In fact, he's possibly my favourite drummer. However, most of my least favourite songs feature him as lead vocalist, namely:

"Goodnight" [the worst track on the White Album, and my least favourite Beatles' song overall. I dislike the nasally vocal and the over-lush Mantovani-type arrangement. A complete turkey, in my opinion, and the only Beatle track that I don't bother with at all these days.]
"Yellow Submarine" [the worst track on Revolver]
"Octopus's Garden" [the worst track on Abbey Road]
"What Goes On" [the worst track on Rubber Soul.... or maybe second-worst behind "Michelle"]

It's not ALL bad though, Ringo. I absolutely LOVE "Don't Pass Me By", "Boys", "Matchbox", "Honey Don't" and "Act Naturally". And I'm possibly the only person in the world [maybe not?] who prefers Ringo's version of "With A Little Help From My Friends" over Joe Cocker's version. Ringo also did some good solo stuff, post-Beatles.

Other (Non-Ringo) Beatle songs that I can live without include the afore-mentioned "Michelle", "Maggie Mae" and "Dig It" and maybe "When I'm 64".

That's not bad. Just 8 songs out of 200+.

The often slated "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da" and "All Together Now" I am quite partial too. They're the sort of 'throwaways' that can put me in a good mood.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 4:35:08 AM PDT
Yeggo says:
"Because" is one of your two least favorite Beatle songs? That's incredible. I think it's undoubtedly the Beatles' most gorgeous song! By the way, according to Nicholas Schaffner ("The Beatles Forever"), it was the favorite Abbey Road song of both McCartney and Harrison. So, I'm in good company!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 4:43:43 AM PDT
Yeggo says:
"Because" isn't very good? As I've just written to AbbeyRoadCrosser, I think it's the Beatles' most gorgeous song! Divine harmony singing (the Beatles' best ever), a beautiful melody, a great harpsichord riff, and nice lyrics too. The only thing wrong with the song is that it ends too quickly!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 4:56:01 AM PDT
Yeggo says:
Oh boy, I just don't understand the tastes of people posting here. A couple of people who don't like "Because", one of whom even thinks it's one of the Beatles' two worst songs - and now you, saying that "Across the Universe" is your least favorite! "Across the Universe" is one of their most beautiful songs in every respect - lyrics, melody, singing. In fact, I think it has the best lyrics in the Beatles' catalog. Lennon himself thought they were his best Beatle lyrics.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 10:54:31 PM PDT
I enjoy the vocals and really like the isolated vocals on 'Anthology 3' and 'Love', but it's the melody that turns me away. So whats your least favoite Beatles song, you never said?

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 3:30:21 PM PDT
First of all--let's not get upset by others opinions.That's what this is all about.Having said that...The only one that comes to this Beatle-fanatics humble mind is "What Goes On".The pimple on an otherwise flawless face(Rubber Soul,of course.)Hopefully I won't be contradicting myself too much if I stand up for a song.I think"Good Night" is the perfect ending to the"White Album".After the great roller-coaster ride of the previous 29 tracks--especially "Revolution #9"---It is the schmaltzy surreal blanket to snuggle up with.Thanks Ringo,John,Paul,George.amen.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 11:32:03 PM PDT
Bill says:
My least favorite is Wild Honey Pie - hardly has any words to it and has the most nauseatingly unpleasant harmony - they should play it at the poison control center to induce vomiting.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 9:32:30 PM PST
sml17 says:
There are a few Beatles songs I like less than all the others, and these are in no particular order:

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer"; I heard Steve Martin's version from the Sgt. Pepper movie soundtrack before the Abbey Road version, and to me the original is simply tired. At least in Martin's version the black humour is more obvious.

"Long Long Long" is a nice song, but the production is awful. I always seem to want to crank it up louder so I can enjoy it. I wish it could be re-mixed.

"I Wanna Be Your Man" is not good. Not because Ringo sings it, since The Stones' version is weak, also. The only interpretation I ever appreciated was Paul doing a live Bo Diddley beat arrangement. Yet lyrically, you have to admit it's weak.

"Little Child" and "There's A Place" are also weak; seems these were a couple of John and Paul's early teenage writing exercises.

"Can't Buy Me Love" has been way overplayed, at least in my life.

And for those who have written that "Across The Universe" is bad, think about those great lyrics! The "Bird Mix" is the best released version, and it's one of my favourites. Notice that all but one of my picks was from the first two years of the Beatles' recording career. Like the other great 1960s bands The Who, The Beach Boys, and The Rolling Stones, you can easily see the positive evolution of The Beatles' songwriting and record-making as the decade progressed.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 2:16:19 PM PST
About half of Paul's material from the White Album are throwaways, particularly "Wild Honey Pie", "Honey Pie", "Rocky Raccoon", and "Why Don't We Do It In The Road", but my least favorite Beatles track has to be Ringo's offering from the same album, "Don't Pass Me By", which is almost painful to listen to.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 9:56:52 PM PST
Michael Ary says:
1. Revolution #9, from the "White" album was, from the get go, boring to me. But in later years I occassionally listen to the enhanced version with earphones. Trippy indeed.
2. Wild Honey Pie (not to be confused with Honey Pie from the same album) is just annoying.

Two of my all time favorites are Strawberry Fields and I'm Only Sleeping.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 10:47:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2012 10:50:36 PM PST
SqueakyWheel says:
Bonnie Billy, As per "Come Together," Paul's bass, and Ringo's drumming BOTH say you made a BAD selection!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 3:39:11 PM PDT
I find 'Because' haunting and lovely. The vocal harmonies are spine-tingling, almost eerie. But that's just my opinion of course, and at the time, I'll agree that 'Mr. Moonlight' is not a highlight. Bear in mind, as well, that this is all coming from someone who likes 'Dig a Pony', in spite of the bizarre lyrics; I guess John Lennon doesn't need to do that much to win me over.

For least favorites, 'Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da' springs immediately to mind, even if just for being so painful to type out correctly, as do 'Altogether Now' and 'Maxewell's Silver Hammer', the latter being *my* personal least favorite of Abbey Road. 'Dig It' belongs in the same category even though it's somewhat amusing and I guess I could lump 'Maggie Mae', another classic "least favorite" in there, but I'm actually interested in English folks so that one would probably work for me in another context.

I also mustn't forget "Baby's in Black"--not one of John and Paul's best love songs in my opinion, and 'Yes it Is' really isn't that much better to be honest. Again all of this is purely my opinion, and while I suspect some will agree with me and some won't, I hope my intellectual honesty is not offensive to any fellow Beatles fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 3:47:58 PM PDT
That's true, psychedelephant, although I don't mind admitting that I get some enjoyment from both 'Raccoon' (just because it's so funny in my opinion) and 'Honey Pie'; call me eclectic. I go back and forth on 'Don't Pass me By', but 'Ob-La-Di...' is the only one on the White Album I consistently feel like skipping. I think I'd actually like it more, and might even listen to it regularly, if they'd instead originally issued the tropically-flavored outtake from 'Anthology 3'; on that version, the song was treated with the total lack of seriousness it deserved and I actually laughed at the background vocals. All that was missing was Ringo playing the steel drum.

About 'Wild Honey Pie', again another one I find weirdly amusing, although I think it might have been better placed just after or before 'Honey Pie.'

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 12:51:56 PM PDT
Creekster says:
I can't believe nobody's mentioned "Oh, Darling." Worst song on Abbey Road, worst McCartney song, worst Beatles song.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 9:15:58 PM PDT
I don't know. 'Oh Darling' isn't necessarily great, but I don't find it awful listening, either. Maybe it's because I have a taste for rock 'n' roll/rhythm and blues music. I think it's better than 'Maxwell's...' anyway, but it is probably the second weakest, IMO. The later Beatles albums really could have benefited from George's songs being allowed a little more space. I don't necessarily want to sound like another McCartney basher, since I know it's something of a famous pastime in some rock music circles, but I really do get the impression sometimes that he was a little controlling and tended to want to brush others' work aside in favor of his own almost reflexively. I realize it also probably looks that way because he was much more committed to the group than the others in the later years. But, and I'm sorry that this is a bit of tangent, I also sense McCartney was/is a bit more energetic and extroverted (and possibly less cerebral), which is likely the ideal personality for an entertainer, but I've noticed that highly extroverted people can sometimes brush others to the side without necessarily realizing that it seems arrogant or insensitive, and they can be dominating in social settings. It's my impression that McCartney is very outgoing, where Lennon was much more the cerebral, temperamental "brooding artist" type (if I recall correctly from what I've heard, he didn't even like playing live that much, which seems like an introverted trait), and Harrison maybe a balance somewhere between these extremes, and that maybe much of the conflict that arose between the Beatles could have come from differences in their personalities that became stronger over time as their professional lives got more demanding and stressful. Anyway, that's just my latest theory. Sorry for going off topic.

Posted on May 4, 2012 1:32:01 PM PDT
Amanda says:
Yellow Submarine

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 6:45:04 PM PDT
SATURN2 says:
Creekster:Just goes to show all the different tastes of Beatle fans-"Oh Darling" is my favorite song on Side 1-I know it's something Paul could have knocked off in 10 minutes,but anytime he channels Little Richard,I'm on board-I'm in the ''Side 1 ain't all that great''camp anyway-even ''Come Together''and ''Something''are not favorites of mine,and ''Maxwell's''is probably my least favorite,period.Side 2 of course is too brilliant for this world!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Abbey Road forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2011
Latest post:  May 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Abbey Road [Vinyl]
Abbey Road [Vinyl] by The Beatles (Vinyl - 1995)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,496)