4.0 out of 5 stars You're awful, I love you
Published on May 28, 2008 by Terry Mesnard

3.0 out of 5 stars Two Bands in One?
I hate when people always rate cd's with 5 stars - there is no way that these cd's can be ranked alongside Sgt. Pepper or Dark Side of the Moon - those are worth of 5 stars.

Anyway, this cd (and band) screams potential, with the opening "Love me Dead" being a very quirky, clever My Chemical Romance ripoff. But it works; and they do a great job of following it...
Published on March 14, 2008 by W. Buchanan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars You're awful, I love you, May 28, 2008
This review is from: You're Awful I Love You (Audio CD)
Like many listening to this album for the first time, I was compelled to purchased it simply due to the fact that "Love Me Dead" hooked me (...the cheap price helped, too). With this hysterical diatribe against a girl who wronged him and yet still has her claws in his heart, Ludo made me laugh, smile and fall in love. It's one of the wittiest songs I've heard recently, with lyrics that twist expectations.

What follows this first diatribe is a collection of punk/pop-focused songs, most of which seem focused on love in its various forms. None of these ideas are really new or unique. You have the song about the guy who's trying to fend off a former love who spurned him, but his lower area is betraying him ("Mutiny Below") to the guy whose attention and obsession borders on stalking ("Go-Getter Greg") to drinking away the pain with "Drunken Lament," to name a few.

Then there are the songs that hearken back to their last album The Broken Bride. "Lake Pontchartrain" is a terrific song that showcases their zany story-telling qualities, with a dark yet funny story centered around this famous lake. Then there's the most unique song of the bunch, "The Horror of Our Love." This song is one that really tickled my funny bone since this serenly calm and beautiful song is is told from the point of view of a typical horror film serial killer and is filled with lyrics that have to be made with tongue firmly in cheek:

"I'm a killer
Cold and wrathful
Silent sleeper
I've been inside your bedroom
I've murdered half the town
Left you love notes on their headstones
I'll fill the graveyards
Until I have you"

That song pretty much sums up Ludo: Dark, theatrical, over-the-top and funny, with an alternative look at the way love messes with you. Overall, You're Awful, I Love You, is pretty standard. The reason it deserves an above average rating is that the catchy melodies are complemented by witty lyrics that reward a closer listening. Very enjoyable and humorous, I hope we hear more from these guys in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album. Very Entertaining and Fun, February 28, 2008
D Brox (Manhattan, Kansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You're Awful I Love You (Audio CD)
Following up the epic "Broken Bride" EP, Ludo's "You're Awful, I Love You," is a fantastic album. The band has a wonderful mix of humor and sincerity that combine to create a very entertaining album. The songs cover topic such as a lake that eats people (Lake Ponchartrain), the conflict between physical and emotional desires (Mutiny Below), creepy stalkers (Go-Getter Greg) and drunkenly pining over an ex (Drunken Lament), just to name a few.

The songs are all catchy with lyrics ranging from silly, "I was driving out of there as fast as a Camry could!" to touching, "Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future, so you know what keeps me hanging around." The music is energetic and listeners just can't help but sing along to the catchy tunes. Without a doubt, this is one of the best albums I've listened to in months and months! I tried to think of a few of the standouts, but they're all too good to choose just one or two. Listen to the samples above for yourself and prepare to be impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful... as always boys!, March 3, 2008
This review is from: You're Awful I Love You (Audio CD)
I have been a Ludo fan since right Broken Bride came out. I fell in love with their music through their self titled albums hit Hum Along. You're Awful I Love You was a perfect follow up to Broken Bride. The passion and angst and darkness from BB and the light hearted humor from the self titled album are all rolled into to one bright orange packages that doesn't fail to amuse, move, or entertain.

Topeka is by far my favorite of the album. The lyrics and melodies charm you from the start. "I found God in a catalytic converter in Topeka on a Monday night." Lake P. houses the essence of Broken Bride but never fails to keep you amused as the narrator goes of on a wild tale about swamp creatures and the loss of friends in a lake.

Congrats Ludo!

4.0 out of 5 stars "You're Awful, I Love You" Is Anything But, September 28, 2008
This review is from: You're Awful I Love You (Audio CD)
This CD is one of the most poetic and lovely I've heard in ages. Not only are the humorous lyrics cutting (no pun intended) but even the words on the darkest cut, "The Horror of Our Love" flow and bite and weave with the music to create images that are both beautiful and ghastly at the same time. My favorite cut is "Lake Ponchartrain", a chilling, ghostly story of what happens if you dine on the wrong food on a stormy night. But it is tucked away so cleverly in the rhythms of the music that you need to pay attention. That is no difficult feat with the clear diction of Ludo's lead singer Andrew Volpe. It is seldon that I hear a song and can catch every word. I hope they do more songs like this! I listen to this CD nearly twice a day when I am at work. It helps the day go by on a more happy, upbeat note. You're Awful, I Love You

5.0 out of 5 stars fun and silly :), September 17, 2008
Emily (Destin, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You're Awful I Love You (Audio CD)
I heard the song "You're Awful, I Love You" for the first time on Best Buy's radio station in the store, and I was hooked at first listen. No, you're not going to find the world's most original sound, maybe not the most breath-taking musicians, but this music was just made to be fun and enjoyable, which it does VERY well. Catchy choruses and fun lyrics make it very easy to enjoy this band. Its the kind of music that will cheer you up when you're down, and you can tap your foot to as well.

I really enjoy this CD, its a very fun listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars So close and yet so...Good Charlotte, March 2, 2008
Mr. Alice "Mr. Alice" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You're Awful I Love You (Audio CD)
I love music, let that be said. I'm always looking for the next album to inspire me in my own creative endeavors. I heard "Love Me Dead" by Ludo on KROQ, in Los Angeles. I instantly loved the song, hearing notes of My Chemical Romance mixed with slight hints of Good Charlotte combined with...complete originality. Despite the fact that I'm normally a music fan who must be won over in order to purchase, I did buy the "You're Awful, I love You" album by Ludo to hear more. I'm not sure how I feel. There are moments of brilliance, as in the first track, "Love me Dead." In "Lake Ponchartrain" those slight, demonic, dark moments that are hinted at in "Love me Dead" become way more obvious and I was sold. In "The Horror of Our Love", I became a fan. I adore the dark, sardonic, cool and unapologetic moments of drama and goth rock that pop up throughout this album. Yet they're not enough. The CD has moments of brilliance; as I said, the CD alludes to hints of "My Chemical Romance" without the poseur personality of Gerard Way. There are songs that hit the chords or darkness, speaking to the Goth witin. These are the moments of genius, moments that should be stretched out, not sucked back into the void of crappy punk-lite music that Good Charlotte, Bowling for Soup or All American Rejects embodies. I think Ludo have the potential to reach for more, to find that dark-rock within but I think they're afraid of failure and so, at the pinicle of finding themselves, they become cowards, allowing their power chords and boring drum beats to define them instead. If they'd let themselves leak through, letting that bloody, beaten and awesome darkness come through, I think they could challenge My Chemical Romance, My Bloody Valentine and all of the other victors of Goth Rock for their crowns. I want Ludo to succeed but I really, really hope they realize their potential before they get sucked into the void of American-Idol land. Forget the poetic ballads, let the darkness ring forth!

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, Beautiful, Crazy, Brutal, May 16, 2008
This review is from: You're Awful I Love You (Audio CD)
Ludo is a band that is from my neck of the woods and I've seen them around at shows here and there and I was never thrust into giving them a huge listening to. Yes, "Good Will Hunting" is an amazing song but I never took the chance and gave them a listen. And then I picked up, "You're Awful, I Love You." Wow, I didn't know what I was missing.

All of their songs on this album bite with a certain force that can't be denied and are almost abrasive at first. "Love Me Dead" "Lake Ponchatrain" "Go-Getter Greg" and "The Horror of Our Love" are some of the most disturbing songs I've heard in quite sometime. But I find myself going back to them again and again.

"....I'll rip you open and live inside you, but love I'd never hurt you..."
"....I haven't seen you at the pool since the Bar-B-Que, not that I've been checking..."
"...And when her edges soften, her body is my coffin..."
"...the voices were coming up from under the lake..."

And while there are some disturbing images excellently pulled off by brilliant writing. There is a sense of beauty in "Topeka" and "Streetlights". And even honest moments of human weakness in "Drunken Lament" and "Mutiny Below".

The last two songs just seem sub-par with the rest of the CD. They are good in their own right but ending the CD with two tracks completely toned differently than ANYTHING else on the CD was a strange move. But nevertheless an interesting, worthwhile buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm awful and I love u 2, January 28, 2009
Okay so maybe I am a biased MO girl, but I love their sound. These guys are unique in their lyrics and most of their sound. If I could give them 4.5 stars I would. But then again there are very few albums I would give 5 stars to. My whole family actually enjoys this CD from my 6th grade son, to my Sr. daughter, to me quirky fun loving mom. I too saw these guys in concert in Columbia, MO and they were so much fun to watch. Ok so there are 2 songs on the cd that got on my nerves slightly (Streetlights and In Space, sorry guys) but the good songs on this CD have so much to offer. If you love music and lyrics that mean something even if it is totally silly then this is for you. I have very ecclectic musical taste and these guys speak to me. I hope they bring me more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Geeks Gone Wild!!, July 13, 2008
These guys are geeky with such total abandon, they're cool! C'mon, now, you don't really think they think they are truely cool. These dudes put quite a bit of effort into this act. They parody everything that kitschy bands of this genre embody, and do it well. Did the B-52's mean Real Business, or just poke fun?? Devo? I could go on, but I won't. If you don't get these guys, then the gag escapes you (or you just don't like the tunes. No prob.) But give this tacky group their due, and laugh with them, not at them.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found God in a catalytic converter..., July 15, 2009
H. Sapiens "Amanda" (SF Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You're Awful I Love You (Audio CD)
Awesome lyrics - strokes my inner geek and my outer girlie. I can honestly say this is one of maybe 5 albums ever produced that each song is amazing - and amazingly unique. Forced to choose, I would say Horror of Our Love is a favorite followed by Go Getter Greg (ha!) and Please. This album moves seamlessly from dark and creepy but literally insanely romantic (ala Meatloaf) to hilarious and witty (think Harvey Danger). You haven't lived until you have visited the Ludo Video Thing. Go live - now!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

You're Awful I Love You
You're Awful I Love You by Ludo (Audio CD - 2008)