Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 8, 2009
The first chapter of this book was great; the author has great voice and easily got me hooked. The personal stories are a nice way to make an otherwise dry subject more interesting and entertaining. But as you read the book you find that the author's advice is really just plain common sense. What I really stated to dislike was when she would constantly contradict herself. In one chapter she would say not to buy things on sale and then in another she would say how it's a good thing to buy things on sale. She claims she was able to afford to buy an apartment in New York on a Salary of $50,000 but later you find out that her parents bought it for her using their home equity. She also suggests doing thinks like babysitting to make extra cash, just like her friend who makes $400 on a weekend afternoon babysitting her siblings in the Hamptons, come on! I think if this book offered more realistic not so typical advise for your typical young professional (who doesn't necessarily have well off parents or come from money) would have made this book a must read. I instead caution those willing to spend the money on reading this.
on April 7, 2010
I first saw this book in a Chinese version in a local bookstore. But since I prefer reading in English on my e-device, I bought this version.

First, this book should include more clearly in their description how this book only works for people in the States. I, being in a foreign country, does not deal with the same tax or insurance issues. Most of the chapters were just useless to me.

Second, what she writes in this book is really very very very basic. If you have worked a few years, and have heard about finance lessons/stories from friends or family, you probably already know all that's been in the book.
on April 30, 2011
Far too much focus on your wardrobe. She makes it sound like wearing designer clothes is worth sacrificing your health and eating spagetti-o's for months on end. Additionally, she boasts purchasing an apartment in NYC- but uses her parents home equity line of credit. If only we all had the privilege!

I saw her on a video make an insightful comment and mistakenly thought she knew something. Stick to Suze Orman.
on May 8, 2008
The perfect book for someone in their 20's getting their first taste of managing their personal finances. It focuses on how to save money and prioritize your wishes in order to get the most out of the money you have.

The best part is that it does not read like a finance text, instead, Torabi uses practical, everyday examples instead of esoteric terminology or useless analogies.

The book reminds me of the old adage, "Some people learn from their mistakes, smart people learn from other peoples mistakes." Read the book to get some financial wisdom instead of having to make your own mistakes. It is the perfect gift for any young person you know.
on February 27, 2014
The book was well written, very informative and easy to understand. I think the advice is important for today's parents and kids. It will help anyone who is looking for advice about saving money and accumulating wealth.
on May 2, 2008
If you struggle with money in ANY way, you need to read this book. After following Farnoosh's advice and tips, I finally feel in control of my money for the first time EVER. She even inspired me to pay off all my credit card debt - which I thought impossible. And I am almost debt free. I wish I had this book when I was 21. Thanks Farnoosh! I am ready for your next one!
on April 2, 2016
I guess I should be a woman if I want to read Farnoosh...

I saw Farnoosh speak recently and I loved her message. I like how she doesn't talk down to her audience, and from that standpoint, her book measured up nicely. She's not condescending and she comes across as very likeable in her book.

But there was too much focus on wardrobe, beauty, and things that a guy might find totally irrelevant. I was able to take her advice and apply it to my life but that became more and more of a stretch as the book progressed.

I think Farnoosh sells herself short by speaking predominantly to her female audience when males like me would love to learn more from her about personal finance issues that effect men and women equally! I do like that she bashed Suze orman a little bit. I watch Suze but I agree with Farnoosh that Suze can bash her audience into submission and there's probably a better way!
on April 29, 2015
I ordered this for my 20-something son. The Forward is by Jim Cramer, of Mad Money. It's a good starter money book that is not too scary.
Also, REAL MONEY ANSWERS, FOR EVERY WOMAN BY PATRICE WASHINGTON is excellent.
on January 9, 2013
I have read 3/4 of this book already. I really like how she understands those who love to shop, gives advice for a variety of issues people may be dealing with, and adds some humor throughout. My family is already implementing some of her ideas, Great book!
on August 18, 2008
I just graduated college and started a new job, and this book is helping me know exactly to handle my money!