Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

VINE VOICEon December 12, 2005
Yesterday was our middle child's 18th birthday. As part of the festivities there was a trip to the local cinema. The birthday girl gets to choose the movie, you know, so "Pride and Prejudice" (my choice) wasn't chosen. Mom vetoed Brokeback Mountain. The compromise choice was "Yours, Mine and Ours".

Just before going out the door I checked a couple of on-line reviews. Yikes! Other reviewers were trashing this film. On top of that I'm not a big fan of the "madcap comedy featuring a housefull of characters." I gritted my teeth and vowed to not complain or cast any shadow over the sweet 18 celebration.

Okay - this is not Casablanca. But I liked it. This movie overcame my negative expectations and won me over despite it's numerous flaws. Why? The characters, though drawn with broad strokes, are nonetheless likable, and I found myself rooting for them going into the final act.

Dennis Quaid and Rene Russo are as attractive as actors my age get, and their characters are both essentially good. That was a good place to start.

Quaid is a 2-Star Coast Guard Admiral just assigned to take over leadership at the Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut. A widower of several years, he presides over his brood of 8 kids along with housekeeper Linda Hunt. Russo portrays his high school sweetheart, still living there in New London. She is also widowed. After 4 children of their own, she and her previous spouse adopted 6 more. There is a real international feeling in that house. She works at home in a messily creative studio as a designer who sells things at places like Saks Fifth Avenue.

The admiral's kids are all quite regimented. They keep a tidy ship, adhere rigidly to written schedules and call their father "Admiral", which I thought sort of odd despite 22 years in the Navy myself. My children call me "Dad". But I digress. Russo is raising her children to be free-thinking spirits.

There would be no movie if the designer and the admiral didn't get together. The "conflict" that must be resolved is between the military brats and the flower children.

There is much to scoff at. There are several frenzied scenes of physical comedy - all ending with Quaid covered with wet stuff. With 20 family members there is scarcely a moment for any degree of character development. Rip Torn is absolutely fantastic in the right role - here he is badly miscast as the Commandant of the Coast Guard. At one point he is so pleased at the promotion of his subordinate Quaid that he lifts him off the ground in a big bear hug in one of those big Washington, D.C. rotundas. All the Admirals I know in real life are slightly more reserved in large public places. A portion of the family conflict comes when Quaid's 2-star Admiral is nominated to become the replacement for 4-Star Torn. This is about as realistic as the person who just got the job supervising orientation of new employees to the Ford Motor Company suddenly being named CEO. I know this sort of plot device happens in film all the time, but even a kindergarden understanding of arithmetic would allow you to know that a 2-Star Admiral doesn't replace a 4-Star without that intermediate 3-Star step.

Still - I liked it. I liked the couple. I liked the kids. I wanted things to work out for them.

I wouldn't cancel a trip to "Pride and Prejudice" or "King Kong" to see this, but if your kids or significant other drags you to it, don't run screaming.
VINE VOICEon June 17, 2006
It's not everyday that you can walk up to the DVD rack in your local department store and pick up a flick that everyone in the family can enjoy, but "Yours, Mine & Ours" is one such flick. I wasn't expecting much from this film at first. I only picked it up because it's PG and looked harmless enough for everyone to watch. In other words, I skipped out on flicks like "Underworld: Evolution" and "Wolf Creek" in order to watch a film with my entire family.

I was quite surprised by this family film. Sure, I've seen funnier flicks with a PG (and even G) rating, but this film rolls along at a frantic pace with pratfalls galore and plenty of "aw, shucks" humor. It has a certain appeal to it that makes you feel as if you've gotten your money's worth. Dennis Quaid and Rene Russo are funny as the heads of two separate and very different families who become one whenever Quaid and Russo marry unannounced to their children. Oh, and I've forgotten to mention that Quaid had eight children and Russo has ten (four biologically, six adopted).

There's little room for character development. In fact, I couldn't give you but maybe two or three of the elder children's names. Quaid's bunch are regimental, what with a military father at the helm. Russo's kids are free spirited and artistic, without a care in the world. The kids hate living with each other, so they devise a plan to breakup their new parents. Of course, this leads to an obvious bonding of the families that makes for a predictable ending, but it's done with so much silliness that it manages to work.

Rip Torn and Linda Hunt have minor roles in the film, though I must say that Hunt's nanny role is hilarious at times. The rest of the cast does a solid job. Youngsters and hip parents such as myself will recognize Drake Bell and the girl who plays his little sis, Megan, on "Drake and Josh." Even hipper parents will pick out Danielle Panabaker, who's made a name for herself on the Disney Channel and in another recent wonderful family comedy, "Sky High."

Predictable, silly, and sometimes too sugary sweet, I still feel that "Yours, Mine & Ours" deserves a modest four stars. It's a wonderful film for the whole family to watch together, and I think Nickelodeon is well on its way to making even better family films.
on September 22, 2015
You will see this exact same review from dlindegren (I was mistakenly logged into my wife's account).
REVIEW: It's harmless and my eight year old loved the slapstick. But honestly there should have been a lot more slapstick since
there really wasn't anything of substance to the movie. I found it
Boring. Basically, the movie is "vanilla." Nothing horrible. Nothing
Interesting. I remember really liking the 1968 version... But I have not seen that since...well, I was probably eight! In the end I was
mostly confused as to why this was remade. I guess it was
dirt cheap to make, and they hoped it would sell tix or downloads.
on August 1, 2013
I saw this movie for the first time at a dinner movie theatre. I don't think this movie was huge at the box office. However, it was a good family movie. I really liked it. I had my kids watch this DVD and they liked it also (10-12yr old daughters). They liked it a lot. I don't expect this one to be considered a classic or anything, but I hope people who like old fashioned family comedy give it a shot. It was good. The DVD is a reasonable quality, no concerns, worked well.
on April 30, 2015
*Spoiler Free Review*
The review will be short because I try to keep it spoiler free as best as I can.

Never saw the original movie so I cannot compare it. It's okay, my daughter thinks its funny and she enjoys watching it. Guy meet old girl friend, and the Brady Bunch thing happens but the kids aren't happy about it.

Can't think of any harsh language or anything like that so it should be pretty safe for your family to watch. I recommend going to IMDB and looking at the family rating; they break it down on content.
on April 27, 2013
I absolutely love this movie! Sure, it's kinda unrealistic but it's a feel-good, happy mood movie. I saw the old version a long time ago and love how this one was updated for this century but still kept the same names of the main characters and basic storyline. Very good purchase and totally worth it!
VINE VOICEon December 4, 2010
YOURS, MINE, AND OURS, is distinguished in that the two main actors, Dennis Quaid and Rene Russo, are both genuine movie stars. This movie is a remake of YOURS, MINE, AND OURS, a 1968 film, directed by Melville Shavelson and starring Lucille Ball, Henry Fonda and Van Johnson. This 1968 film was based on the story of Frank and Helen Beardsley, as disclosed in Helen's autobiographical book Who Gets the Drumstick?

My own familarity of Mr.Quaid is from his engaging performance in PARENT TRAP, featuring Lindsey Lohan. My familarity of Ms.Russo is from THE ADVENTURES OF ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE, starring the adorable Piper Perabo (in this movie, at least, she is adorable). Both of these films are exceptionally-well crafted, at least in my opinion, and invite repeated viewings. But I am not sure that I can say the same for YOURS, MINE, AND OURS. YOURS, MINE, AND OURS, concerns a single father with around 8 children, and a single mother, also with around 8 children (or perhaps more). The father (Mr.Quaid) and mother (Ms.Russo) had been high school sweethearts, and we are shown their photograph in their high school year book.

The movie starts with Mr.Quaid leading his clan to New London, Connecticut, where he is to be in charge of a naval academy school. His rank is admiral. Mr.Quaid is an exceptional officer in the U.S.Coast Guard, and towards the end of the film, he is offered a position as Commandant (the highest rank obtainable in the U.S.Coast Guard). Mr.Quaid's children express weariness at having to move to a new city every few years, due to the fact of their father's government position. As it turns out, Mr.Quaid and Ms.Russo meet in New London, rekindle their high-school romance, and get married. The result is a "Brady Bunch" scenario, where two groups of unrelated children are forced upon each other.

This situation is both interesting and disappointing. What is interesting is that the mother, and her children, are liberal hippie-types, who prefer disorder, hippie-clothes, and graffiti (and they have a pet pig). In contrast, Mr.Quaid, as well as his children, prefer to be orderly, to have a scheduled life, and to be more mainstream. The bulk of the movie contains slapstick comedy, where the contrasting (but not necessarily incompatible) life styles of the two families lead to mild forms of chaos. YOURS, MINE & OURS seemed to contain at least ten scenes where somebody got his or her face covered with housepaint or mud. If you like THE THREE STOOGES, then you will love YOURS, MINE & OURS. The pinnacle of this slapstick chaos occurs in a large hardware store (Home Depot), where one of the children accidently commandeers a fork-lift, and drives it down the aisle, causing merchandise to tumble off the shelves.

What is disappointing, is the fact that the two sets of children conspire to cause chaos and disorder, with the goal of driving their parents apart, and causing them to divorce. While this is the overall thrust of the second half of the movie, the conspiracy element was poorly developed. It seemed to me that the chaos naturally happened on its own. Also, I find that the notion that two sets of children would conspire to drive their step-parents apart to be somewhat contrived. The contrived nature of this premise or theme, and the continual use of mild slapstick, prevents the movie from being a "keeper."

For people interested in movies showing the theme of "chaos verus order" in households filled with children, and where the parents are on the verge of splitting up, I recommend MRS.DOUBTFIRE and THE SOUND OF MUSIC. It is easy to see that YOURS, MINE & OURS trods some of the same thematic material as is found in MRS.DOUBTFIRE and THE SOUND OF MUSIC. It is also easy to see that MRS.DOUBTFIRE and THE SOUND OF MUSIC are works of art, and worthy of repeated viewings, and that the same cannot really be said of YOURS, MINE & OURS. On the other hand, I cannot get enough of Mr.Quaid's squinky smile. Mr.Quaid has acted in a number of movies featuring children, for example, the excellent PARENT TRAP with Ms.Lohan and THE ROOKIE. The squinky smile is in abundance in these two fine films. Ms.Russo is distinguished in that she looks a bit like Jacqueline Kennedy.
on January 16, 2013
I teach a unit on Families in my classroom with my special education students, and this is the perfect movie to use to describe different types of families and how families handles different situations and conflicts!
on September 13, 2014
My granddaughters and their grandfather watched this together. The girls are 8 and loved it. They thought it was really funny and crazy with the 18 children. They particularly liked watching how things started and ended up so ruined. Grandpa watched it so he could be with them and ended up enjoying it much more than he expected.
on July 11, 2014
WriterMom
Terrific movie. I recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, enjoyable, and upbeat family movie. Wish there were more out there like this. It's different from the Lucille Ball version, but I liked this one just as much--especially the lighthouse tie-in at the end.

However, the video quality on the copy I rented was not great. I'm giving it a good review for content, but be aware that the sound and video at times were out of sync, and the screen was sometimes blurry and out of focus. I am reporting the problem, and hope you get a better copy when you rent it.