5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric Pop from Sweden!!
Lykke Li is Sweden's latest Pop export and she's gotten the inevitable comparisons to fellow Nordic Pop stars Robyn and Annie, but in truth, her style is miles different from those two. 22 years old she may be, but her music is far ahead of her years, even her arty cover photo sets her apart from those two.

Her debut "Youth novels" is produced by Björn...
Published on July 14, 2008 by Nse Ette

3.0 out of 5 stars I love this product
I love this record and it was exactly what I was hoping for. The only downside was it wasn't in stock for awhile, so had to wait for about a month to get it.
Published 19 months ago by christine

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric Pop from Sweden!!, July 14, 2008
This review is from: Youth Novel (Audio CD)

Her debut "Youth novels" is produced by Björn Yttling of Peter Bjorn and John and Lasse Mårtén, it is rather experimental and dreamy, fitting her light airy vocals to a tee.

In an album awash in brilliance, standouts include "Dance dance dance" (tapped percussion and strummed percussion, a squidgy Sax solo building to a nice choir finale), the sunny "I'm good, I'm gone" (with a killer chorus and lovely keyboard flourishes), the acoustic/Pop "Let it fall", the lilting Jazz/Folk "Little Bit" (which wouldn't sound out of place on a Kings of Convenience CD), the stark yet astonishingly beautiful ballad "Hanging high", the acoustic spoken largely instrumental "This trumpet in my head" (of course daintily adorned with trumpet playing), the buzzing Björk-like "Complaint department", the hand clap-filled Jazzy/Synth number "Breaking it up", and the brooding, almost hymnal closing number "Window blues" (with haunting harmonies).

This album is incredibly clever pop music with a great attention to detail. If only all Pop music could be this intelligent. I think we'll be hearing a lot more of Ms. Li in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class tuneful album, November 13, 2008
British Commentator (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
Ignore the person who says this is not for over 20's, I am late 30's and love this album. It is full of great tunes, very catchy with strong beats. It is best described as electronic pop, but I think it will strongly appeal to some Hip Hop heads too. It is from Sweden but lyrics are in English.
Buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even enjoyable for old farts, February 20, 2009
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
Seeing some of the ageist comments on here made me reflect..... good music can be enjoyed by anyone... of any age.
This ablem has entertained me for several months now - and i am 62. I was brought up on the staples of hippydom and hard rock, but the album reaches across those boundaries and has given me hours of listening pleasure.

zippydedodah

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Beautiful Voice, February 10, 2009
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
So this turned out to be a review on her vocals...wasn't intentional, just turned out that way.

I tend to be quite particular with female voices. However, in the past year, I've managed to find two I absolutely love: Lykke Li and The Ting Tings lead singer, Katie White. I'm seriously being honest in saying that the last female voice I've truly enjoyed as much as these two is Shirley Manson from Garbage. I realize this is a review about Lykke Li, however, you certainly need something to compare her voice with and I consider the other two to be in good company.

Highlights:

Little Bit
Breaking It Up
Dance Dance Dance
I'm Good, I'm Gone
Tonight

As stated below, Ignore the 1 Star Review as I'm pushing 30 and this album is more definitive of who I am than 99% of what I listened to when i was under 20.

4.0 out of 5 stars Breath of Fresh Air, December 14, 2008
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
My first introduction to Lykke Li was through a friend via a youtube video for her song "Little Bit." I admit that I was hooked. The video was different in a good way and her voice was unique: soft, innocent and a little bluesy. Her sound is eclectic ranging from dance to indie to electro to blues. There's no other way to describe it. A very melodic album. I can't wait to see what else she has up her sleeve. All in all, a breath of fresh air in all the pollution streaming through the radio these days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scandinavisku Pop Sem Singur, April 28, 2008
Steve "Steve" (Scotts Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Youth Novel (Audio CD)
Peter Bjorn and John influence... true. But Lykke Li transcends what they were influenced by. There is just something about this Scandi-Pop, if you pardon me, that sings every time. Lykke Li is right there in with the whole Icelandic, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish pop thing. I don't know what it is, but isn't it easy to know that this is Scandinavian Pop? It's unmistakable!

Now hey, everyone blends everything. Can you hear Tegan and Sarah in the vocals? Emiliana Torrini? Morcheeba? It's easy to see for me; it's really nice.

This album is slightly uneven, but the first half (six songs) has stand-out tunes (please concentrate on these!!). Tracks 7 through 9 seem a bit of a miss. Then track 10, "Breaking It Up", through 12 are pretty good.

This is an "Ágætis Byrjun" (excellent start).

Steve

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected---better, February 16, 2009
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
Someone said if you're over 20 you won't like this.
I'm male and I'm now 49. I like this. A lot.
But then I also like Isis (not a female pop star) and Robyn and Foghat.
My collection is very far and wide a mix of genres.

Believe or Not I recently saw this artist mentioned on the Kids Post page in the Washington Post (in January I think).
So when I chanced upon her Parlaphone Video for "I'm Good, I'm Gone" on YouTube I thought to give it a try and I was very impressed.
I was not only impressed by her but by the assemblage of musicians for this very acoustic rendering of the track.
It was odd to say the least and not like a lot of vids with flash and sex.
That video led me to track down the album and any single and remix.
She is really fascinating.

I still find it odd that she was featured in the Kids Post section.
Why? She's not like Ms. Spears of 1999 or Ms. Cyrus of 2007.
Also, I don't think this artist was marketed to young teens here in the USA anyway as she is already over 20.

This is not for everyone but it's very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lykke is like no other, December 4, 2008
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
I absolutely love this singer. The best songs are "I'm good I'm gone" and "Let it fall." I am in my upper 30s and am impressed with how grown up her lyrics and music sound--considering she is a mere 22 years old!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lykke Li album is a hit, September 16, 2008
Maggie "Maggie" (New York State, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Youth Novels (Audio CD)
Youth Novels is singer Lykke Li's first major US debut. Stand out tracks include I'm Good, I'm Gone and Little Bit. I hope this album blows up, her voice is absolutely stunning. The sparse instrumentation on a lot of the tracks definitely works to her advantage! Pick this album up if you're a fan of upbeat, mellow, female voices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lykke Li - Youth Novels, September 5, 2008
Youth Novels (2008, LL Recordings) Lykke Li's first studio album. ***1/2

In 2007 I became very tired of minimalism. It had been around since the late 1990s, and only few bands were able to do it successfully, namely blues-based bands such as the White Stripes and the Black Keys. There were others of course, but they seemed to be the only ones who had it down pat. And even then I wasn't crazy about it; Icky Thump, while still an exceptional album, ranked as one of the Stripes' weakest outputs. At the same time, wonderfully flourished albums like Neon Bible were sonically epic in every sense, and that was the direction that I had been waiting for.

And now in 2008, we've been seeing less minimalism in favor of bigger sounds. That doesn't always make things better, but it was a nice change from the norm. Li, however, seems to have missed the memo, and has actually put out one of the few truly great minimalist indie electronic albums (assuming there's more than this one). It's dance music for the kids who are too cool to dance. Youth Novels is disjointed, and it tends to sputter more than it stands solid. Things don't kick in until "Let It Fall," a very simple Prince-esque groove with lapping vocals. Even after this moment, it doesn't always work. The next great moment doesn't come until the robotic "Complaint Department," and appropriately it meanders until the end. There is no bad material here, what's here is just uneven, and Li is merely inconvienced to have a debut that's not quite as proper as it should be. We'll see where she can go from here, because while it's a promising start, the genre she's adopted as well as her sound don't lend to a whole lot of growth. (Let It Fall, Complaint Department, Breaking It Up)

Youth Novels
Youth Novels by Lykke Li (Audio CD - 2008)
Rate and Discover Movies