You've got to PLEASE recommend me another cult film as good as this one!!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 10, 2011 4:15:59 AM PDT
Oh!Susanna says:
I have watched it several times, and have just finished watching it again...what do I do now? I miss it! I need another film of this style. Any suggestion??

Please try and suggest others than all the obvious, other well-known films (Magnolia steel, the color purple, etc): of course I've seen these already. Besides, they're not as good...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011 11:56:10 AM PDT
Did you see "The Help"? It's about the Deep South with probing about relationships among women. I liked it and the book very much.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 5:58:00 AM PDT
Oh!Susanna says:
Thanks, Marjorie! Never seen this title before, it looks like the type(s) I'm looking for, I'll go for it!

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 8:53:32 AM PDT
Rachav says:
I just loved Fried Green Tomatoes so much I bought it on DVD.

There is another Cult Classic movie that is quite different, but equally memorable and quotable. "The Princess Bride" (1987)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/
My children and grandchildren have their own copies and love quoting it.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 8:26:38 PM PDT
G. Sutton says:
Boys on the Side (also starring Mary Louise Parker), The Joy Luck Club, I imagine you've seen Waiting to Exhale (Joy Luck Club is similar, but with a multi-generation, Asian-American cast rather than African-American). When I think of more, I'll be sure to post them. Lots of luck on your cinematic journey! Enjoy.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 9:05:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2012 9:07:05 PM PDT
Rachav says:
There is a cult classic series by Josh Whedon 'Firefly' which was cut short by Fox, before the story was finished Fox even aired the episodes out of order. The fans were outraged at this and began a campaign to have it restored. Ultimately Fox agreed to sell the rights to Universal who made the movie 'Serenity' to finish telling the story. I definitely recommend that you get series Firefly on DVD or Blu-Ray in the episodes in the correct order, and the movie Serenity as well. Fox is still making money out of 'Firefly' http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1271/firefly.html and so is Universal for 'Serenity' http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Serenity-Blu-ray/2637/

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 4:44:25 AM PDT
Oh!Susanna says:
Thanks a lot to you both, G Sutton and Rachav - I will look into The Joy Club and Firefly + Serenity!

(I saw the other 2, loved 'Boys on the Side', but didn't find 'Waiting to Exhale' such a cosy film because, from what I remember, I didn't like the men in it, the way they treated the women (who were way too stunning for them too, they didn't deserve these women!).

And while I'm here, Marjorie, I saw your advised film, 'The Help' - FANTASTIC! It haunted me for days afterwards. I watched it the next day again with my husband... Sad theme of course - and one that I'm rather sensitive to -, but really takes you away; very atmospheric...
Actually, er...would you have any other film of that style to advise now??

Thanks!

PS : Lately, I've also enjoyed these (still talking of cosy, warm, atmospheric films, which also take you places):

"The Long Walk Home" (with Sissy Spacek & Whoopi Goldberg);
"Once upon a time..when we were colored";
"Corrina, Corrina";
"Cold Mountain";
"Down in the Delta";
"84, Charring Cross Road";
"There are no children here" (with Oprah);
"Songcatcher";
"Cupid and Cate" (no idea why this film is so wonderful...but I keep coming back to it too. Has Peter Gallagher in a lovable role, and Mary Louise Parker as in Fried Green Tomatoes);
"Get Low";
I'm in the middle of "Harlan County" (and love it but am a bit bothered by the lack of subtitles as I'm not American and they talk very fast with a strong accent there! If you know of a copy with subs or cc, please let me know);
"Sordid Lives" (the movie).

I think I can recommend these films for those like me who loved Fried Green Tomatoes.

I'll think about what else in this style I may have seen and come back here to add more if so.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 7:29:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 7:38:05 PM PDT
SkyKing says:
If you enjoyed the depth and sensitivity of Fried Green Tomatoes, then search for and watch Now Voyager with Bette Davis. Great story that captivates you from the beginning.

Also, A Christmas Memory with Geraldine Page (not the Patty Duke version). There is a black and white version of this movie on YouTube. If you are lucky you can find a good VHS tape in color. Pretty rare. Look at the YouTube video for a few minutes and you will either love it or not. Truely one of my favorite Christmas movies.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 11:07:17 PM PDT
how about Cookie's fortune?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Apr 10, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fried Green Tomatoes (Special Edition) [VHS]
Fried Green Tomatoes (Special Edition) [VHS] by Kathy Bates (VHS Tape - 1999)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (917)