Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Board book|Change

VINE VOICEon January 31, 2004
This book is fun, a charming introduction to dim sum, and even a little bit educational for adults -- I'm hoping I can do more than point next time I go for dim sum. The rhymes are simple and catchy, and the illustrations (with pictures made from scraps of fabric) are intriguing. My baby daughter is mesmerized by the book and stares at each page intently as I read. As an added bonus, after reading "Why oh why, my little sho mai, why do I love you so?" aloud several times, I have taken to calling my daughter shao "sho mai" (little meat ball). This is BY FAR one of our favorite read aloud board books.
VINE VOICEon October 26, 2003
My sister-in-law bought all four Amy Wilson Sanger books for my kids, starting when they were about 6 months old, finally buying this new title recently (the kids are now 18 months.) They absolutely love all her books. The rhythm is perfect for little kids, and the illustrations are colorful and fun. The books are also somewhat educational for grown-ups - I didn't know the names for all the dim sum myself.
My only gripe is that, while she puts definitions on the back of this one, there's no pronunciation guide.
on December 11, 2005
I really LOVE this multicultural food series in board book format. The collage illustrations along with the simple, rhyming text are perfect for both child and adult to enjoy! I also appreciate the word glossary, which is provided at the end of the book. Good rhythm and flow throughout the book.

This book is a wonderful preperation for your child's first Dim Sum experience. As an adult, you will be able to ask for certain dishes in Chinese- no more pointing at the rolling cart and saying "That one, please." My 1-year-old's favorite dish is the sesame balls with red bean paste! I love them, too!

New vocabulary: dim sum, oolong, ha gau, scallion pancakes, dau fu, siu mai, jing cha siu boa, sticky rice, spring roll, sesame ball, don tot.

Text example: "Smell the steamy oolong tea pouring from the pot. Let's wait together while it cools. These little cups are hot!"

The art represented in this book is really quite good, considering it's target audience is small children! Within the background of the pictures, you will find Chinese calligraphy, traditional Chinese folk art, silk brocades, dragon prints and floral paintings. All of this is behind the main, collage-style illustrations!

Makes a great gift for your toddler's first Chinese New Year! (Coming up on January 29th).
on December 26, 2014
We really love this book. Our only complaint is that it switches back and forth randomly between Cantonese and English so that's a little odd. Why call it 'don tot' and 'siu mai' but then switch to 'scallion pancakes' instead of 'Chung yao beng'? But it's a cute little book with cheerful illustrations and a fun rhythm and we are delighted to have it in our little library.
on June 21, 2015
We just love this book series, my kids have adored these books since they were about a year old. We're now buying a second set for a friend's baby shower. They're a great gift to buy for others as they're a little more unusual and it's unlikely someone else will show up with the same thing.

My kids also happily eat almost anything these days and I certainly think it helps that no food was too foreign to them thanks to this series!
on February 5, 2016
Sent it back. There was something about the "Oriental-ness" of the background illustrations that I couldn't get past. My son will get a more authentic dim sum experience by actually going to eat it, so we'll stick to that.
on June 9, 2015
I love these books! The rhyming makes the books flow nicely. My daughter loves that. They are informative and fun. The book is sturdy ( board book) so it holds up nicely to a toddler throwing it around.
on January 7, 2015
We purchased this book because our daughter is half Chinese (my husband is Chinese) and we love eating dim sum! This book is absolutely adorable! Amy Wilson Sanger does an incredible job creating dim sum treats out of paper and other materials to make the images come alive on page! I love reading this book to our 6 month old daughter, who is so fascinated by the pretty colors and sing-songy words. This is sure to be a favorite of hers when she's older!
on August 20, 2005
The art is neat and interesting, the rhymes are awkward. We like it because we eat dim sum with the Chinese side of our family, and take our daughter to dim sum whenever possible. At 16 mos old, she is not at all interested in this book yet (if ever) although she loves most of her books. It is possible she will grow into it as she makes the connections between the book and Chinatown.
on December 6, 2011
My husband and I love going to dim sum with friends and family and we bring this book along to entertain our son while we chow down. I'm a big fan of Amy Wilson Sanger's picture books, we have the whole series, but this one is my particular favorite. I wish I had this when I was a kid to entertain myself while my family was picking things from the dim sum cart!