5.0 out of 5 stars Little pieces of heart in a little book
Published on January 31, 2004 by Carol C.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting idea for a book
Published on August 20, 2005 by E. Stewart

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Little pieces of heart in a little book, January 31, 2004
Carol C. "ccjello" (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks) (Board book)
This book is fun, a charming introduction to dim sum, and even a little bit educational for adults -- I'm hoping I can do more than point next time I go for dim sum. The rhymes are simple and catchy, and the illustrations (with pictures made from scraps of fabric) are intriguing. My baby daughter is mesmerized by the book and stares at each page intently as I read. As an added bonus, after reading "Why oh why, my little sho mai, why do I love you so?" aloud several times, I have taken to calling my daughter shao "sho mai" (little meat ball). This is BY FAR one of our favorite read aloud board books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, October 26, 2003
cmp (Merrimack, NH USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks) (Board book)
My sister-in-law bought all four Amy Wilson Sanger books for my kids, starting when they were about 6 months old, finally buying this new title recently (the kids are now 18 months.) They absolutely love all her books. The rhythm is perfect for little kids, and the illustrations are colorful and fun. The books are also somewhat educational for grown-ups - I didn't know the names for all the dim sum myself.
My only gripe is that, while she puts definitions on the back of this one, there's no pronunciation guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Love Red Beans!, December 11, 2005
This review is from: Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks) (Board book)
I really LOVE this multicultural food series in board book format. The collage illustrations along with the simple, rhyming text are perfect for both child and adult to enjoy! I also appreciate the word glossary, which is provided at the end of the book. Good rhythm and flow throughout the book.

This book is a wonderful preperation for your child's first Dim Sum experience. As an adult, you will be able to ask for certain dishes in Chinese- no more pointing at the rolling cart and saying "That one, please." My 1-year-old's favorite dish is the sesame balls with red bean paste! I love them, too!

New vocabulary: dim sum, oolong, ha gau, scallion pancakes, dau fu, siu mai, jing cha siu boa, sticky rice, spring roll, sesame ball, don tot.

Text example: "Smell the steamy oolong tea pouring from the pot. Let's wait together while it cools. These little cups are hot!"

The art represented in this book is really quite good, considering it's target audience is small children! Within the background of the pictures, you will find Chinese calligraphy, traditional Chinese folk art, silk brocades, dragon prints and floral paintings. All of this is behind the main, collage-style illustrations!

Makes a great gift for your toddler's first Chinese New Year! (Coming up on January 29th).

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting idea for a book, August 20, 2005
This review is from: Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks) (Board book)
The art is neat and interesting, the rhymes are awkward. We like it because we eat dim sum with the Chinese side of our family, and take our daughter to dim sum whenever possible. At 16 mos old, she is not at all interested in this book yet (if ever) although she loves most of her books. It is possible she will grow into it as she makes the connections between the book and Chinatown.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my daughter's favorite books!, August 9, 2004
This review is from: Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks) (Board book)
After spending 14 days in Guangzhou and eatting dim sum and loving it, I am enjoying reading this book to our daughter! She baby signs more, more and we love reading and looking at this beautiful book and the pictures. The photos are so life like that you almost expect to feel the fabric and material of each page! Can't wait to get more of Amy Wilson Sanger's books!

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughetrs favorite book, August 9, 2005
Kimberly Kaye "Busy Mom" (Fort Mill, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks) (Board book)
I checked this out from the library with a stack of other books. I am alwasy trying new books for my daughter who can not get enough of us readsing to her. Well she loves this book. We have to read it every night before bed. She pretends to eat the food off the page and learned to say "Yum Yum," and "little bit of heart." fromt his story. I can not recommend it enough! Our copy had to go back to the library, so I am ordering one from amazon today. I know my daughter can;t wait for it to arrive.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO cute, love this entire series, October 20, 2005
This review is from: Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks) (Board book)
Bought this, my first book of sushi & let's nosh - my son LOVES them. They are very clever little books and I love that they are short, whitty and fun to read (especially when your toddler wants you to read the same book over 20 times in a row...it better be fun:) I also just bought this for my sister's new baby girl and she loves it too. These are a must have in a baby/toddler's library. WARNING: make sure you've eaten before reading - book will make you hungry!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the sushi book., October 7, 2008
JK (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks) (Board book)
I bought this book for my one year-old son, because he loves the sushi book in this series. Neither my son nor I enjoyed this one as much. I expected the book to be more interesting. The pictures are nice and it it does provide an easy way to introduce dim sum to a young child. Ultiimately though, after reading it to my child, I decided not to buy any additional ones in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant way to introduce our baby to cultural diversity... through food!!!, September 23, 2007
L. Levine "Dodger Fan!" (Santa Monica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks) (Board book)
My husband and I are both foodies. We love ethnic cuisines quite a bit. So, we are so happy that our little boy, who's almost a-year-and-half, already loves items like pasta, onigiri, dim sum, fried rice, taco, quesadilla, etc.

I was so excited when I discovered this book series one day. I thought it would be a great addition to his little library, as well as being a great supplement to our effort to introduce him to all the various yummy food different people throughout the world eat. I began with "Yum Yum Dim Sum." It provides lots of fun, helps him associate these yummy dishes with exciting pictures. I cannot wait to get more.

Highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars can i give it 7 stars? THIS IS OUR FAVE SERIES!, November 2, 2008
This review is from: Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks) (Board book)
i can't write in all caps, but this series of baby books from amy wilson sanger are our absolute favorite. i have all 7, and give them as gifts to lucky friends. so funny, so cute, so creative and a great way to learn about world foods, really. my older daughter likes to read the dessert sections to our baby and we have even experimented with some of the foods. A MUST HAVE FOR KIDS OF ALL AGES!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks)
Yum Yum Dim Sum (World Snacks) by Amy Wilson Sanger (Board book - October 1, 2003)
$6.99 $6.01