4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Cultural Info - but little else
I guess I am lucky with this book.
I am a great fan of Yunnan, and that's mostly because of its fascinating ethnic/cultural mix. I spent over a month exploring the province years ago, impressed by the diversity and a strong traditions of its minorities.
Published on November 5, 2009 by Laszlo Wagner

3.0 out of 5 stars Yunnan: China South of the Clouds by Jim Goodman
The book provides some useful background information about the cultures and history of Yunnan.
The maps are unhelpful. There are nice photos but not enough useful information. There isn't much else about this beautiful province.
Published 15 months ago by esther geva

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Cultural Info - but little else, November 5, 2009
This review is from: Yunnan: China South of the Clouds (Odyssey Guides) (Paperback)
I guess I am lucky with this book.
Back then guidebooks only covered a few popular tourist spots in Yunnan, basically the Kunming area, Dali, Lijiang, Zhongdian, Dehong and Xishuangbanna. A few more recent guidebooks promised more detailed and specific coverage, but none really delivered it.
Now, this book does! It covers all corners of Yunnan, fairly realistically divided into a chapter on popular regions and off the beaten path ones. Better still, at least for me, the author just happens to concentrate on the very thing I am interested in, that is minority cultures, and offers great, detailed info on these for each region. That info is presented in a lively, sympthetic style - a great read. The photos are great, too - as usual for Odyssey guides.
Now for the shortcomings. If minority cultures are NOT your main interest, you may find that information on other types of attractions, be it historical sights or especially nature, is very limited in comparision, and is buried in the text. Sights are not really highlighted in the flowing text, town maps are few and typically fail to show the location of most sights and places to stay. Practical information is even more limited. In the back of the book there is a list of hotels in key towns and cities, but it gives you neither price info nor even their names in Chinese script to help finding them. Transport information is, if anything, even more limited. Sure, I was not expecting Lonely Planet style detail on these, but even Odyssey guides usually do a better job at this!
But then, I am the type of person who can usually find these things out once there. So this guide is almost perfect for me, especially when accompanied by Lonely Planet's China's Southwest guide for practical details.

5.0 out of 5 stars best cultural reference for Yunnan, January 18, 2012
This is, by far, the most comprehensive guide on Yunnan. It deal with all aspects of culture, history, art, society, minorities, festivals, markets, etc and it is probably going to remain an invaluable resource for the intellectually motivated traveler for a long time.

The books does NOT have much in terms of where to stay and eat, logistics, practical info. But this kind of book is not meant to. I recommend the Lonely Planet Southern China for that. But by all means buy this book if you want to have one reference work to turn to for your cultural interests and curiosity. It is a bit heavy to carry around, and there is no kindle version for now, but it's worth every gram!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, December 28, 2013
Traveled to Yunnan providence..wished I had the book before I left, but fun reading now that I have been there. Very accurate .

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish the photos were better, September 11, 2013
I expect the photos in this title as good as those in other Odyssey Guides. There are few outstanding photos, some are very dated. Overall, very disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yunnan: China South of the Clouds by Jim Goodman, July 29, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Preparation for a trip., July 22, 2013
I haven't made my trip yet but the book gives me all of the aras I wanted. It gives me all the data I want without trying
to "sell" the area. The photos and the maps are excellent.

Yunnan: China South of the Clouds (Odyssey Guides)
Yunnan: China South of the Clouds (Odyssey Guides) by Jim Goodman (Paperback - July 14, 2009)
$29.95 $22.64