1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough light, annoying shadow all over the place!!, February 22, 2012
This review is from: Gen 2 Z-Bar White Daylight High Power LED Desk Lamp
I was really excited about the product until 20 mins after putting it into use. First I have to give some credit to the design -- the lamp is gorgeous indeed.

But in my opinion, there are some significant flaws. The fundamental problem: all 6 LED bulbs are on one thin and relatively long bar. It surely looks great. But since the beam from each bulb is concentrated, the lamp has strong and weak zones in light coverage, creating a scenario like what you will see when you are driving at night (a little bit exaggerated but the same idea). Normally, the zones are not noticeable when you read. What makes a difference is when you try to read and write/take note at the same time. The effect is immediately clear when you pick up a pen and start to see a partially overlapped six-layer shadow. If you move the pen closer to the upper bar where the bulbs are located, you will see six shadows as the beams are more concentrated up there. I assure you this is very very annoying.

Another very annoying thing is the light coverage is too limited. Because all the bulbs are on one straight bar and the beam from each bulb is very concentrated, the coverage is a rectangle area which is long but narrow. So you cannot easily move/change position when you read. The direction of the limitation depends on how you put the lamp. Normally it is your back-and-forth movement that will be restricted; but if you put the lamp on the side, it is left-and-right. So if you are like me, who cannot sit still for say 5 mins, then this lamp may not suit your need.

Of course the last point would not make sense when you could easily adjust the lamp. But the design is very concise on this lamp -- it uses three simple joints, which means there is no mechanism to allow automatic/simultaneous movement of the joints. In other words, you cannot easily adjust the lamp with one hand as you could do with some other lamps out there. It is really a shame cause the reason I bought the lamp is because its flexibility. Now I am packing it for shipping back.

This is the first time ever (or at least in a very long time) I have posted a "bad" review. I admit I am picky person. But still, this is the one time I feel the flaws are significant enough that I have to put it down so people could make informed decision.

Gen 2 Z-Bar White Daylight High Power LED Desk Lamp