5.0 out of 5 stars A top rated game for a reason.
I got into board gaming again a few years ago. Started with everyone's favorite -- Settlers of Catan -- and moved on from there.

While there are some amazing games out there, the market is also flooded with tons of crap. Unfortunately, your local adult gaming store can't play them all and just because they like it, doesn't mean you'll like it...
Published 16 months ago by K. McCauley

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing Tiles
I would like to warn customers to check the game when you get it to make sure you are sent the correct number of tiles. The copy we received was faulty, and the process to return it was unsatisfactory.

Published 2 months ago by Michael C. Imhoff

5.0 out of 5 stars A top rated game for a reason., April 18, 2013
This review is from: Carcassonne Basic Game (Toy)

Carcassonne was one of the earliest "German Style" games and put off playing it because many of those games haven't aged well or have been outclassed by later derivatives. The more I looked at this one, the more it seemed like the latter. But, it was cheap, so I grabbed it.

I'm so glad I did.

The scoring is a little odd if you don't have someone to show you how it's done -- I recommend reading closely, especially as it pertains to farmers -- but once you get it, it's simple. Because it's simple, this is a game you can quickly explain to new players and have them "get" what's going on right at the start. They won't be master strategists, but they'll be able to play and not feel like they're making bad decisions now that will doom them in the mid/late game. It plays fast, and there's enough depth to keep you playing for a long time -- mainly because the board is completely different every time it's played. My only complaint is that you need a large table, as it can be difficult to predict which direction the game board is going to grow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game with a new publisher!, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Carcassonne Basic Game (Toy)
Carcassonne is a classic tile laying game that has been around for about 12 years now. Recently, the US publisher/distributor has been switched from Rio Grande Games to Z-Man games (who also publishes the awesome Pandemic and Agricola games among others). The BIG DIFFERENCE between this version and the Rio Grande version is that this one includes the River tile expansion in the base game. Bottom line, regardless of who makes this game in the US, EVERYONE should have it in their board game collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even great for two players, March 6, 2013
This review is from: Carcassonne Basic Game (Toy)
I was in the market for some good games that can be played with 2 players. We enjoy playing games with friends, but if we're going to be honest, the majority of our game time at home is between my wife and I. I did my research on boardgamegeek.com and asked around the Tabletop Community on Google+, and this game was recommended every time.

I just got it last week, and we already love it. The game seems a little complex at first, (wait, how do I score this guy?), but as you pick it up, it's really simple to play. I'd heard some reviewers say that if you love Settlers of Catan, you'll love this game. That worried me because my wife is NOT a Settlers fan, but she loves Carcassonne now. We've played almost every day since I picked it up.

The addition of the River expansion in the box is great. After the first couple of games, we added it into our game and have played with it every time since. Plus, I'm not sure if it's something I would have paid for separately, so it feels like a nice bonus in the box.

The tiles feel of good quality, and wooden followers are great too. My biggest concern with them is that my 1 year old may run off with one at one point. My only complaint about the game is that in our box, the slot for the tiles is just slightly too short for all the tiles, which means you have to stuff it into the side where it sticks up slightly. It's not the end of the world (and not enough to deduct a star for), I'm just the type of person who hates when something doesn't fit the way it should.

We're excited to try this game out with more than just the two of us, and I'm sure the dynamic will change in that case, but for now, this will sit on the shelf of our most played games next to Dominion and Ticket to Ride Europe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Carcassonne Review by Dad's Gaming Addiction, October 7, 2013
Carcassonne: 2-5 Players, Ages 8+, Average Play Time = 60 Minutes

As I mentioned above, I was very surprised by how much this game grew on me. At first, I was skeptical by the fact that you didn't have a hand and were at the mercy of whatever tile you drew. In the beginning of the game, you won't have that many choices in terms of placement, but towards the end, you'll be trying to screw up your opponent's scoring chances while trying to resolve your own.

Keeping along those lines, I personally enjoyed how strategic the game turned out to be. I was constantly thinking of ways to extend my son's city (the one he had a follower on) so that he'd never be able to complete it. He'd still earn one point per city tile at game end, but that was significantly less than the two points per tile he could have earned.

Resisting the urge to place all of my followers in the beginning became a real challenge. I saw a lot of potential fields that future cities might connect to, but I had to make sure I had enough in reserve to score on the more immediate opportunities. Since you and your opponent are limited to how many followers you have, it becomes a battle of wits to see who claims what first and who is able to save enough for when it counts.

Out of all of the game mechanics, the scoring was the hardest for me to pick up on. At times, I was scratching my head on how farmers scored and what fields were considered theirs. Once you overcome this initial learning curve, play is relatively fluid. Luckily, the manual is fairly easy to understand when trying to put it all together.

I should also mention that this game has a TON of expansions, which shoots up this game's replay value tenfold. It seems like there is always something new to keep the game fresh and interesting. Not all of the expansions will appeal to everyone, but having the option alone is a plus in my book.

Carcassonne is a great game to introduce to players that are new to the wonderful world of board games, especially if you have an experienced player on hand to help with the scoring and flow of play. It's also a great game for players of all ages (within reason), so if you are in the market for something relatively easy that provides a fair amount of depth, then you may want to look into this game further.

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing Tiles, May 31, 2014
This review is from: Carcassonne Board Game (Toy)

Instead of a new game being sent to us we were given a full refund, had to return the game through UPS, and would have to order the game again if we wanted a new one. This is a lot of work on the customers end when the expectation should be that a working product is sent out in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars So fun!!!!, April 2, 2013
The Interwebs Shopper (Jacksonville, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carcassonne Basic Game (Toy)
We've had this game for about a week and can't stop playing it. Thus far, only my husband and I have played, so I can't speak to games with more than 2 players. It's awesome for 2 players. Literally every game is different. It has enough strategy to keep it entertaining, but since you don't know what your next tile will be, you spend time talking with the other player instead of strategizing. I like games that move along quickly, give opportunity for offensive and defensive strategies while still laughing and talking with the person you're playing with.

5.0 out of 5 stars This contains The River!, August 20, 2013
Ian M. Filson (Jamesburg, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carcassonne Basic Game (Toy)
I am an avid board gamer and have owned Carcassonne and several of its expansions for years. Carcassonne is quite easy to learn (and to teach to your friends), is scalable through numerous expansions for a more immersive gaming experience, and is quick to play (approximately 45 minutes). The basic premise of the game is to build a medieval town and to place your markers to gain points. In the basic game, there are only four ways to get points, meaning that this game is quite easy. Because of that, I would place Carcassonne into the category of being a crossover game. To explain, Carcassonne, as a board game, is an excellent introduction into the foray of European games -- it helps people to crossover from the traditional board games, like Monopoly, Battleship, Clue, and the like, to these newer European style games, such as The Settlers of Catan or Ticket to Ride.

As I previously stated, I have been playing Carcassonne for years, which begs the question as to why I just purchased this copy of the game. I had temporarily retired Carcassonne from my gaming rotation because I feel that there is an inherent flaw with the strength of farming. The expansion, The River, rectifies this issue, but has been out of print for years. The River consists of 12 tiles all with a river on them. These must be placed at the beginning of the game prior to any other tiles being utilized. The river serves to break apart the massive farm that usually is created, thus preventing one person from gaining 100 points by simply winning the "farming war". Years ago, The River was available for under $10, but being that it is now out of print, this copy of Carcassonne is the only reasonably affordable means of acquiring the River.

In summation, I highly recommend Carcassonne for a family looking for a new board game, for people looking to introduce their friends to European board games, or for someone looking to add some spice to their gaming closet. Pick up this version because it includes The River, or go for the Carcassonne Big Box for some of the other expansions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super addicting game that is new and exciting each time, March 22, 2013
This review is from: Carcassonne Basic Game (Toy)
I got this game for my husband after he played it with a friend. It is suuuper fun! I had a difficult time getting into it at first because the rules were slightly confusing, but after playing a round I caught on and really enjoyed it. The game has virtually no set up which is really nice. It comes with 72 tiles, 40 men (8 of each color) and this set also includes the River expansion (about 12-15 tiles). It's fun as a two player game and also with a larger group. I think little kids would enjoy playing with the tiles (even without rules or really playing a game) by arranging them and connecting buildings and roads. I think a kid would have to be about 8 before they could actually understand the game itself. It's a really fun game that I can't wait to play again! i can't wait to get more expansions for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quick game!, November 17, 2013
This review is from: Carcassonne Basic Game (Toy)
My boyfriend and I play this game a few times a week. The rules are easy to understand once you begin playing. You basically take turns laying pieces down and claiming either the road, the city or the farm. Points are calculated as you go for completed roads or cities and at the end for uncompleted roads or cities and any farmers. The strategy of this game comes in placing farmers, so make sure to read about that section as that is often where the point difference comes in toward the end.

We typically only play between the two of us, but we've played with three players a few times and it's just as fun. You can play with up to 5. Depending on how much you think about each piece, this game has taken us between 10-20 minutes. Set up is quick and easy and it cleans up fast as well.

If you want to try the game out before you buy it, someone created a free online version available for download: [...] If you've never played before, you can either google the rules or use this PDF [...]

I use the online version to hone in my skills so I can crush my boyfriend when we play, but it's also helpful to test out the possible expansions once you get into the game and want to see what else can be done with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, January 30, 2013
This review is from: Carcassonne Basic Game (Toy)
Well made and with river in the basic game. We now have 2 extensions and really like it. I recommend it.

Carcassonne Basic Game