5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected!
Published on October 3, 2011 by Jamsmo

3.0 out of 5 stars This is ok, the video is a bit choppy ...
This is ok, the video is a bit choppy and not real fast. Memory limit is 4 gb. Keep that in mind.
Published 1 month ago by btomasetti

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected!, October 3, 2011
This review is from: ZOTAC ZBOX Intel Atom D525 1.8 GHz Dual Core All-in-One Mini-PC ZBOX-ID41-PLUS-U (Personal Computers)
I bought this to replace an aging PC. I was skeptical of the brand name, but the reviews were very positive. I did not want to spend a lot of money, plus I subscribe to Visual Studio Ultimate w/ MSDN, so I could easily load this PC with the OS of my choice - I chose Windows 7 Ultimate 64. I attached an external DVD player and it easily loaded the operating system. I then used the driver CD supplied with this PC and after several reboots there were no errors in the device manager. Everything was working within a few hours - I was very impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent MythTV frontend, July 9, 2012
Dan (Henrietta, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased two of these boxes as replacements for aging MythTV frontend machines. I am very happy with the results. Installation of mythbuntu went flawlessly on both boxes, once I figured out how to make a bootable USB thumb drive. Hint: "apt-get install usb-creator-gtk" This is a very useful utility for making a bootable thumb drive in Ubuntu.

Using the nVidia drivers for the ION video card, and the VDPAU option in MythTV, I am able to get very smooth 1080p playback of my HD sources. I was able to easily get Dolby Digital and DTS output from either the optical out or the HDMI.

Other thoughts:

* The boxes both seem to get a bit warm to the touch, though I haven't noticed a difference when running HD video versus when idle.

* The D525 CPU is 64-bit and has HyperThreading, hence can run a 64-bit OS, and shows up with 4 cores. I wasn't expecting either. Guess I didn't do enough homework. I'm not complaining, though.

* Even with "-vo vdpau", mplayer is not able to play my 1080p content smoothly without adding "-lavdopts threads=4", illustrating that the raw processing power of a single core of the CPU is not all that impressive.

* It took me a little while to figure out that the blue USB ports are 3.0, and can't be used for USB 2.0 devices. It was my understanding that the ports should be backward compatible, but they don't seem to be. There are 4 USB 2.0 ports, though, and they all work fine.

* The blue circle on the side of the box lights up and is pretty bright. I haven't checked to see if it can be disabled in the BIOS yet. Due to the placement of my box, it's not an issue for me, but it could be distracting in a home theater environment.

* I can't speak to the reliability of the devices. I have only had them a couple of weeks. So far, they start up the same way every time, and mythbuntu 12.04 seems to be perfectly stable after running HD video for long periods of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Debian ran out of the box, March 31, 2012
It runs as advertised. Debian Linux ran out of the box. It is quiet and has a small footprint. Lots of ports for USB and external hard drives.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little wonder. Perfect HTPC if you like Linux, October 26, 2012
This is a very good option for those of you looking for a cheap HTPC or a budget living room PC for your internet needs. I use this PC with OpenElec and Ubuntu as a HTPC and a living room PC. OpenElec for my HTPC needs and Ubuntu for my casual PC needs like browsing and skype on my 47 inch HDTV. I added 4 GB of RAM with a Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s with Data Transfer Kit CT128M4SSD2CCA which i bought in an awesome amazon gold box deal. Total cost of $300~ this replaces my streaming player, my skype cam and transforms any TV to a super smart TV.

You may consider other similar Mini PC's based on other architectures, but this one is special. What makes it special? The NVIDIA ION tech. It is easier to configure drivers, and supported by Linux. OpenElec has special builds made for this architecture and it is the most popular among HTPC enthusiasts. It plays 1080p like a breeze, No problems at all. But this was possible when i moved to Ubuntu/OpenElec. With windows, it just not has enough juice in it. But I was not disappointed as i was expecting this on a windows 7, but secretly hoping it would do just fine. if you want use this as your primary PC and expecting HD playback on windows, it's better to invest on a better PC.

The product from Zotac, is very well made. Installation was very ease without the need for any kind of tools. The internals are very well organized keeping in mind the size of the PC. A good bunch of USB ports, and very well placed. USB 3.0 and the card reader is a very good addition.

The support from Zotac is only for windows, and there is nothing for Linux. I would give it a 5 start if i was able to have a smooth and easy windows setup but not too bad for a $200~ PC. It offers most value for the money I spent on it, and does everything I need though it took a little effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Atom Box that works with Ubuntu, August 22, 2012
Water Dog "lake tech" (ClearLake Oaks, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Just picked this up to run i386 Ubuntu 12.04, no problem installing it and the nvidia drivers via USB flash drive.

The price is right with a hard drive and memory, pretty much ready to go.

Knocked off a star since I was hoping this would be running at 14 watts or less, but it is clocking in at 22 watts. My i3 shuttle runs at 25watts with the 64bit flavor of Ubuntu 12.04 and is much more powerful, and I've seen Atom Based boxes running as little at 9 watts similar with similar configuration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, quiet, mythfrontend/XBMC box, January 2, 2013
I have 2 of these around the home running Ubuntu 12.04 with mythtv and XBMC. I have HDMI Audio working well on both through mythfrontend and XBMC and I use these quite often. One of them is used in my home theater and if you turn of the blue circle light and modify the fan speed settings it fits in well. I use VDPAU to playback QAM recordings, Blu Ray rips without any problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, January 29, 2013
I bought this as an upgrade for my Dad. I installed Debian 6.06. It's working great. The installation was painless.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great computer solution that more people should know about., September 22, 2013
It's a very light-weight, ultra-quiet, portable desktop computer that everyone should have instead of a desktop. I own two of them. They're great. We use one in our living room connected to our TV screen. We use it to stream movies and music and for all our other computer needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product and a true wave of the future, April 22, 2013
I bought this product because I wanted a compact lightweight PC.
My Zbox is great! Its lightweight, compact and I can take it anywhere and hook it up to anything. I upgraded the RAM easily as it was made easy to upgrade. Lots of USB ports! Has all of the features of the large CPUs in a small package and at a great price. I love it...this company has created the wave of the future in PCs.

5.0 out of 5 stars To check my email!, March 21, 2013
This little computer, quiet and powerful enough to check my email, and to review some spreadsheets and Word documents. It plays perfectly for these applications, without noise, without taking up space, and with a minimum expenditure of power. I recommend it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›