Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Zack Files 01: My Great-grandpa's in the Litter Box (The Zack Files)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 13, 2004
I have a little trouble with the idea that the reading level is 9-12. I really enjoy it still and I'm 50. I read it aloud to my dad and he's over 80...

How I came across this. My daughter was a non-reader. I am a voracious reader. I used to think that if you could find the right books you could turn anyone into a reader. Maybe this is true if you count Manga as reading. I'm not sure that I do. My daughter started the fifth reading at a third grade level and this is one of the series I discovered while trying to find things that she could read and wouldn't find boring. The series was up to about 12 books when we stopped buying it, year-round school and a desire to read the first Harry Potter came along that year and ended the inability to read, even if the desire isn't all I would have wanted. I read all of these that we bought, and enjoyed them for the characters and the stories.

*************UPDATE***
I just want to say, I'm 59 now, my dad is 92 and my daughter is 23. We still really like this book, though I'm happy to say that it isn't a challenge for my daughter anymore. With a lot of courage and determination on her part she graduated high school as an NC State Scholar and was accepted at every college she applied to. She tried a couple of them, decided to take time off and is now making more money than I do. She's not a voracious reader, but she does love books.
VINE VOICEon June 16, 2005
I've been looking for a while for a nice long series of books that my 7 year old really liked. I wanted to read to him each night, and perhaps even tempt him to read to himself when I made myself too busy! He has an interest as many kids do in the supernatural, but I didn't want anything too extreme in this direction. The Zack Files are perfect! To start with, they are hilarious, especially for kids, but somewhat to me also. They are clearly written, fast moving, not lots of description, and have great plots. This first entry is about Zack adopting a cat that turns out to be a reincarnated relative of his. My son especially loved the fact that characters, including the cat, show up over and over in later books. You could probably jump into this series at any point, but I would start here---it's one of the strongest titles and a lot of fun to read!
on November 9, 2004
For three years, I've tried to interest my now eight-year-old in reading. This series is the first he has wanted to read. He finishes one Zack Files story and immediately wants the next book. The children in his class at school are asking my son to donate the books so that they can read the series too. The titles are catchy -- pulling the children into reading!

In this story, Zack starts out to adopt a kitten and ends up with a very, very old cat. The author introduces the word reincarnation and repeats it throughout the story, so that the child can learn a new concept and understand it. New words are cleverly defined. Ah! A talking cat, imagine that, but read to find out what the cat has at the bank... This story includes the words cigar and schnapps, which may be for the adult reader and ignored by children.

These books are perfect for book reports because the action is fast, funny and happens in each chapter. The books are illustrated, short (50-60 pages) and complicated enough so that they hold adult interest. Read them too, so you can talk with your child after they read them silently. Dan Greenburg has a wonderful imagination, so you never know what Zack will do next. Also, the author doesn't use a lot of extra words, so the books are true page turners.

Zack's parents are divorced. It isn't discussed, but presented as a fact. You don't have to read these books in order, but you should encourage it because after your child works their way through these stories they will have read 26+ books. What an accomplishment! Our local elementary school rates this series 2.2 - 3.0 grade reading level.
on April 13, 2005
The Zack Files:

Great Grandpa Julius Is in The Litter Box

A review by: Lauren Richardson age, 8

This book is about a boy named Zack. Zack goes to the shelter for a cat. He comes back with a talking cat that say's he's Zack's great-grandpa Julius. Great Grandpa Julius the talking cat told cat lies can Zack trust him?

If you like books that have people in their fictional lives, Zack Files are good books for you! I liked this book because I really like fiction.

I like the T.V. show too on HBO. I give it 10 stars

This is the first book and the greatest in the Zack Files series. My favorite part was the shelter. It was funny and easy to read.

I recommend this book to 2nd graders and up.
on August 12, 2014
Being the kids' department head when I worked at a bookstore, I saw these books a lot in my chapter books section and decided to see if they were any good so I could decide whether to recommend them to others. They had a surprising amount of somewhat off-color jokes in them, but other than that they were cute but nothing super-special. I just read a few during my lunch break; they take about ten minutes to read.
on June 5, 2013
I bought this book for my son and he absolutely loved it. We has the pleasure of meeting Mr. Greenburg at a literacy event at my son's elementary school. Not only is Mr. Greenburg an amazing writer, but he is an amazing speaker who brought his books to life. My son wants to now get all of Mr. Greenburg's books
on October 8, 2007
I came across this book when I was tutoring a third grader in reading in the Cleveland Public Schools during 2004. I thought this book was hilarious and immediately wanted to read the whole book. The whole concept of finding a talking cat at the animal shelter was very appealing to me because I like cats. This has to be the funniest book I ever read and recommend it for adults who want a laugh as well as for kids of all ages. I took it as being a sort of satire on reincarnation. I am thankful to the third grader who introduced me to the Zack File series. I eagerly read other ones since, but this one is the BEST of All that I read.

Karen Arlettaz Zemek, Author of "My Funny Dad, Harry"
on January 19, 2013
I bought this book for my nephew as he's beginning to transition to chapter books. It's great for kids who need a slightly easier reading level than most chapter books provide. It's not high literature, but it is imaginative and fun.
on March 21, 2002
This book has very great carachters.The author made this book very exciting to read.This book is very funny.The book made you feel like if you were at a fair or at a little kids school.The collection of Zack file books are very nice books.I wished i could read all of the zack file books.
on November 12, 2000
I liked the book, there is always something weird going on in Zack's house. This time Zack wants a cute cat. Instead he gets a Tomcat that talks. The cat says he is Zack's grandpa. To find out if he realy is read this book.