Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Most of the time Zamouri knocks them out of the park with their blends, but this is one of their rare ones that fall a little short.

The ingredients are of the same high quality that I have come to expect from this brand, but the za'atar blend is a little too bland. I normally make mine from scratch, but purchased this locally on a whim to see if I could improve my own blends. In this case, what I make at home is better.

The thyme is the dominate flavor, and the amount of sesame used is generous. I do not think the sesame was sufficiently toasted, which is why I subtracted stars and probably why this blend is less than spectacular. If you are using this to make manaqish - flatbread with za'atar and olive oil- then when you toaste the flatbread with the za'atar and oil the seeds will toast a little.

However, on the plus side this blend does have a nice proportion of sumac to the thyme and sesame seeds. And I can 'improve' this blend by adding a half ounce of dried oregano to the two ounces of this blend, plus a pinch of sea salt. Then mixed with some quality olive oil and spread over a flatbread, this works out well. But those are to my personal tastes. In fairness, if you have never tasted za'atar this one is OK. Not great, but not horrible either.

Overall, of you know how to make za'atar pass this one by. If you have heard about it and are curious, this is probably as good as any to try as a sample. Just know that it's not the best there is.
review image
on January 6, 2012
I really don't know how this spice is used traditionally, but a friend of mine introduced me to Zahtar. I mix this spice with cold pressed olive oil and a bit of salt to make a dipping oil for my home baked bread, and it's awesome! This was priced really good compared to ethnic food stores, and the amount lasts me for couple months.
on August 14, 2012
Read about this spice several years ago in the Wall Street Journal in an article concerning chefs' secret ingredients. Zahtar was one of them. Now that I found it on Amazon, I'm glad I bought it. It has an unusual flavor that is pleasant. One should try new things: this is one of them. Excellent.
on May 31, 2013
I used this to make za'atar for one of my Saudi friends and she said it was the perfect spice blend.
Having never had za'atar myself, I can say it is very tasty, and I would not hesitate to order this again.
on October 14, 2010
This is a rarely used spice (at least in the US) that compliments middle eastern food. It is a salt-free product that adds flavors of sumac and thyme to meats such as barbecued chicken and lamb. This product is quite pleasant.
on February 15, 2012
Wonderfully unique taste for roast chicken, chicken salad, grilled salmon & trout, & roast turkey breast.
Also tried it on roasted cauliflower, but not such a good match.
on January 28, 2013
The Za'atar I used at Le Cordon Bleu (made fresh) and prepackaged one used at the restos I have worked at are far better than this one. It's dried thyme, white sesame seeds, and sumac. As an addition to home cooking, say a roasted (brined before hand) chicken breast, I guess it works fine. But the flavor is almost stale and somewhat boring. Other items from Zamouri (Chermoula, Ras El Hanout, etc) were more flavorful, although nothing can beat making these spice mixes fresh.
on January 22, 2014
I'm learning a lot about these mid Eastern spices. This one was new to me, but was part of a recipe I wanted to try. The meal was incredible and I know that the Zahtar added a lot. I highly recommend this spice from this vendor.
on December 22, 2013
I cook a lot of Middle Eastern, and this spice adds a nice something extra. However, it's not THAT much of a different taste from some other herbs, so I wouldn't run out to purchase it for just one recipe. But if you're doing a lot of Middle Eastern cooking, this spice is a great addition to your cabinet!
on December 23, 2013
Very nice mix of Moroccan spices. Every zahtar seems to have different ingredients; this one is spicy and goes well with meats. it is a wee bit expensive but cheaper for me than making my own.