5.0 out of 5 stars Inguinal & Rectal Temps Matched Exactly - 100.9
Published on April 20, 2011 by M. Downey

1.0 out of 5 stars item does NOT work!!!
Published 22 months ago by vet hospital

5.0 out of 5 stars Inguinal & Rectal Temps Matched Exactly - 100.9, April 20, 2011
This review is from: Zampa Non-Contact, High Accuracy Multi-function Body Temperature Thermometer For Pets. LCD Digital, + Surface & Room Thermometer. Audio Readings In Multiple Languages. (Misc.)
I bought this unit because my dog has Canine Epileptiod Cramping Syndrome (CECS - also known as Spike's Disease). Prolonged cramping can cause high fever which is a medical emergency, so I need a way to safely and accurately check my dog's temperature in the midst of an episode to know when to apply cold packs at home and/or if I need to take him to the vet immediately. I experimented with the four suggested areas of the body and felt that the inguinal was probably closest to being accurate. I brought this unit with me to my last vet appt in order to check it and got an inguinal reading of 100.9 followed by the vet immediately taking a rectal temp, which showed exactly the same reading, so my hunch was confirmed.

If you're not going to check it against a rectal temp, at least get a feeling for what readings are 'normal' for your dog when using this. Be consistent with whatever area you decide to use and check it while at rest and after play. If you do this at random for a few days, you'll get a feel for what is your dog's norm with your unit. It's my opinion that the ears and gums are less accurate than the inguinal area because those areas can be more influenced by the environment and panting, though I believe the manual said this unit comes set for the ear. The inguinal reading might run a tad higher at times than the true temperature, but if fevers are your concern, then it's better to overestimate temp. Normal rectal temp for most dogs is around 100-102. But if your dog always shows between 98 and 100 with your unit, and suddenly shows 102, this would be cause for concern.

Unlike taking a rectal temp, this baby is quick! If you are going to use the ear as the location for testing, I'd recommend turning off the audio to spare your pet the sound of the voice immediately speaking the temperature. There is no way you can get as close as you need to for an accurate reading (less than 2"), then pull it away quickly enough to avoid having it be loud in their ear.

A bonus feature that might be handy for some people for whatever reason is, this thermometer also takes room and surface temperatures, which I've also found to be accurate. Just be sure if you are using on your dog, you have it set to the BODY position. Also, I noticed the manual states that sometimes adjustments need to be made and tells you how to do it. However, the additional support links listed in the manual do not work (at least at the time of this writing). Hopefully that will be corrected soon, as I would like to review that info as well.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars item does NOT work!!!, March 7, 2013
We are a veterinary office and ordered this and used it multiple times and compared the results to our rectal. Problem was this thermometer didn't even register normal tempertures for ANY of the pets. And now that we want our money back for an item that has never worked it is past the allowed time to refund. I really hope that the seller contacts me so that this can be resolved, but I can't find any number to reach them.

5.0 out of 5 stars YES YES YES!!! Do not force your dog to use rectal thermometers anymore!!!, August 9, 2012
This thermometer is so awesome! I used it to monitor my Chihuahua though her entire pregnancy. Her average turned out to be around 100.6 and it was usually this most days I checked her and when it dropped to 100 I knew birth would be soon, 45 minutes later it dropped to 99.3 and 15 minutes after that she delivered her first baby. I also used the thermometer to monitor the puppy box I had built to make sure inside was a good warm temperature. This thermometer takes body, room and surface temperatures. I only use it in the inaugural, near her lower belly, because it gave the most accurate readings. Definitely turn the sound off, it scarred her the first couple times. Also it comes with batteries and a great carrying case. All the other ones on the market are around $30-40 and I'm sure they can't be better than this one. Seriously recommend to everyone with a dog!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better for you and your pet than traditional thermometers., September 8, 2011
I love this thermometer. I hate inflicting any discomfort on my Corgi as he is dramatic and whines. Now that I have this thermometer we are both much happer-the reading is very accurate. I found the gums and groin area to be the best. I turned off the voice so there is no noise near my dog's ear. Conferred with vet and temp. is spot on. Worth the money-comes with a case and everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING DOG THERMOMETER, June 12, 2012
I bought this OUTSTANDING dog thermometer thru Amazon and use it weekly on my GS PUPPY who is now 10 months old 70 lbs/26.5" tall...The thermometer is very hi-quality and accurate when compared with my vets readings..it is also very easy to use with only [1] silent button to click after inserting the tip into his 'outter-ear' and and you get the digital reading as well as a voice reading..the readings have always been within 1/10th of a degree of prior readings which demonstrates it's repeatability...i only wish i had this device to use on my prior GSD who lived for 15 years!! I highly recommeng this thermometer to any dog-lover!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for dog lovers!!!!!!!, July 30, 2010
I absolutely LOVE this thermometer. I needed to bring my dog to the vet, but, before I brought him in I called the office. The vet asked me what my dogs temperature was... I had no idea! He recommended the ThermoPet and I searched online for one. I found this on Amazon and read the reviews before purchasing. I made my decision to buy and am very pleased that I did. This thermometer is a life saver. It's simple and very easy to use. Taking a dogs temperature is not like taking the temperature of person. It's a little more difficult and the thermopet made it stress free for me and my baby. I found that after using it a few times and following the instructions it works perfectly with no problems. I'm not sure why anyone else wouldnt be pleased with this product. One thing i did notice was in the excitement of using it for the first couple of times, I would use it very fast and constantly pressing the buttons which did not give the thermometer time to reset. Now I do this and let it wait for about a half a minute before taking the temperature again. I recommended the thermometer by thermompet to my friends and they bought them too and love them! Highly recommended and for the money it cost it could save the life of my baby.

1.0 out of 5 stars excellent thermometer, November 29, 2012
I LOVED the idea of this thermometer and was tickled to get it so much below retail price. The packaging and product quality appears high end. However, after using it for a week, several times a day to monitor my pregnant dog, I found it is inconsistent and nothing short of annoying. I can take the temp a few times in the exact same place, and it is never the same. I tried to calibrate it, but that didn't help. I decided to send it back when a found that the product website no longer exists. Seems they may be selling these out to get rid of them. Anyway, back to Amazon it has gone. Taking the temp the old fashioned way; poor puppy. She hates that. But when she hears the beep go off on the digital rectal thermometer, she runs to the kitchen for a cookie. That works okay as long as I have a good hold on the thermometer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pet thermometer and more., July 23, 2012
This is a handy little thermometer. We got it because we have a pregnant dog. It has a body temperature, room temperature and surface temperature mode on it. I have used it on my children as well as my dogs. It is quick and easy! The box it comes in is well padded and that is where we store it. It also comes with a drawstring bag that you can put it in. Another handy thing is it comes with batteries. Not many products do. It is so simple to use that my three year old is helping me take my female dog's temp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I think of this???, March 15, 2011
I can't believe I didn't think of this! I was uncomfortable with the thought of taking my dogs temperature, which my veterinarian recommended after several recent visits to her office. I had no idea that I could use something like this and didn't require a rectal reading. The thermometer took a little to get used to since I was not accustomed to taking Qtip's temperature. Anyone with a dog should have this and thankfuylly it is here on Amazon, my favorite shopping site.THermopet works as advertised and I am a happy cuustomer. I think this company also sells a baby thermometer that I have not yet tried. Qtip is a fan! thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars great pet thermometer, August 14, 2012
This is a great addition to your pet medical kit. No poking, proding or breaking off of the thermometer in the rectum. Quite accurate.