1,042 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not Canon, but definitely right behind!
Alright, I was skeptical about this after reading so many mixed reviews, but the draw of a battery grip that seemed to be well loaded and at a much cheaper price than Canon's...I couldn't resist.

Am I glad I got this? Definitely!

Published on March 5, 2010 by sh00bie

2.0 out of 5 stars Usable, but still disappointing...
Published on October 15, 2011 by Truth Be Told

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not Canon, but definitely right behind!, March 5, 2010
sh00bie (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zeikos ZE-CBG7D Battery Power Grip for Canon 7D Camera (Camera)

Am I glad I got this? Definitely!

Okay, let's get things out and open: yes, this is NOT exactly like the Canon battery grip. Duh. It's not made by Canon and it doesn't cost $300. That said, however, this is an amazing "replica" that fits the bill just fine!

I was a little concerned when I got this because of reviews that said it was all plastic and cheap and that it would screw up my camera. My fears were quickly put to rest as soon as I opened the box.

I'm not one to dwell on packaging (if it comes in a brown paper bag but works great, who cares?) but the box for this was good, and the grip was wrapped in a bubble-wrap envelope. There's a protective cover-cap for the connector to keep the pins safe (and the cover isn't flimsy).

Taking the grip out, the first thing I was surprised to notice was that, yes, it DOES have a rubber grip. It's not as rough as the inlaid gripping Canon puts on its cameras, but it is definitely not just a textured part of the plastic. This is a great touch. There's a strap-hook/bar on the bottom, as well as a tripod mount so you can still use a tripod even with the grip installed.

According to the instructions you should always attach/detach the grip with the batteries removed, so that's what I've been doing.

Attaching the grip to the camera is easy. Just pop the battery out of your camera, and take off the battery cover door (there's a spring-clip to detach the door). The grip has a place in the handle where you can store the battery door, which is fantastic. Now you just slide the connection post into the battery slot, and spin the thumb-wheel on the grip to lock the grip into the camera's tripod mount.

The battery compartment is probably the most fragile part of this grip, but unless you go tearing through the electrical innards of your camera like a rabid moose, it's not an issue. Inside the grip is the AA-battery magazine which pops out via two retaining clips. The magazine isn't so sturdy, so some care is needed, but with batteries in it the magazine feels much more reliable. I bought my grip with a kit that came with a spare battery for my camera, and since the grip holds two camera batteries I went ahead and put both in. Close the door, turn the camera on...it's brilliant! The grip feels very sturdy on the camera and I've had no fears in holding my 7D by this grip alone.

There's a little rubber insert that you call pull out (it stays attached to the grip) that allows you to put in a wall-plug adapter into one of the battery bays and still be able to shut the door with the cord coming out. That's a great touch that I thought would be lost on a cheaper grip.

How does it function? There's a switch on the side (or top, depending on how you orient the camera) to turn the grip on or off, which keeps you from accidentally pressing buttons when not in use. Holding the grip, the shutter-release button, top-scroll-wheel, and the M-Fn button are where you'd expect them. On the back (for your thumb) are the AF-ON, exposure lock (*) and AF-point-selection button. All the buttons feel good in quality and function, comparable to the ones on the camera itself. The shutter-release button isn't the same as the camera's button...it feels a bit lighter...but it still functions well and once you've used it a couple times you won't notice it at all.

There are only two downsides to this grip (neither of which would prevent me from buying it). First, the grip is actually quite large. Fortunately I have big hands, but this grip might be a monster for anyone with smaller hands. Second, with the grip on and loaded, the camera is not only heavier but much larger. If you're using a small bag, keep in mind this grip adds about 2-inches to the bottom of the camera.

To conclude, if you are pro and have the money, certainly fork it over for the Canon piece. If you're an amateur or semi-pro photographer who wants a well-featured, well-built grip, without paying for the Canon piece, GET THIS ONE!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well made - excellent alternative, June 29, 2009
Jayse Hansen "jayse" (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
So I took a chance on this one - thanks to the other good review, and I'm glad I did. The box it came in looks a bit dated and I was scared to open it. However once I did I was happy with the quality. I'm used to Nikon grips - so this is definitely lighter and less 'heavy duty' feeling (as all Canon gear is). However testing it out feels solid and I'm actually appreciating the lightweight of canon gear after I add all my accessories and spend all day with it.

So! I've shot three shoots with it - one an all day 13 hour event - outside, inside, dirty trains - steadicam mounted, monopod mounted, shoulderbrace mounted and plain hand-gripped and this performed flawlessly. It REALLY makes the camera much more useable as well I should mention - it's one of those must haves. I compared it with my friend's actual canon grip and the only difference I noticed was his has the rubber grip along the battery compartment back as well as the front.

That's a hugely minor thing tho - and other than that you really can't tell the difference. Solid-wise - usefulness-wise - etc. - it's the same. So I'd say based on a few days of solid use out of it i'm impressed.

Hope that helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Zeikos vs Nikon I Can't Tell Them Apart!!!, September 18, 2009
Tom Miller (Harrisburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I put the Zeikos ZE-NBG90 grip next to the Nikon grip for my D200 and if you cover the names, I guarantee you can not tell them apart. The only difference is the D200 is slightly larger because the base of the D200 is wider than the D90's.(Gee,,, I wonder why Nikon didn't make them the same size???) All the controls perform the same functions with no differences in feel, operation or location. As others have stated, it matches up to the base of the D90 seamlessly. Even the holders for the AA batteries are identical... So save yourself $90, unless your name brand crazy and buy the Zeikos!!!! I'm finding many of the after market accessories for Nikon cameras are not only far less expensive but work just as well..... I'm tired of every time I buy a new Nikon camera, I have to pay their outrageous prices for new accessories, especially since it would not take much effort on the engineers part to make them compatible!!!!! It's just another way to make money and it's a rip-off!!! Do yourself a favor and buy this Zeikos grip over the Nikon Brand.... Amazon has one of if not the best price...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product !, April 22, 2009
The comment from the reviewer above(Mr.Phillip) was so useful. I contemplated different brands myself but just looking at the product made me feel that its well made. So finally i got mine today and i cant be happier. Great fit and finish and your Nikon D300 recognizes the grip immediately and all the functions work great. I was wondering if the shutter release button and the scroll wheel will be as good as Nikon and yes it was.

I rarely buy anything else other than a Nikon, but i thought i will give this a try and i am glad i did. The Nikon MB-D10 is a great grip too, its made of magnesium alloy and rubberized coating just like the camera, hence its expensive.

If you are going to place your camera in rocks or if its going to take some beating in buses in africa or forests in the amazon, then buy the Nikon. If you are a casual user, who keeps his cameras in his bag all the time other than when its being used, then buy this one. You wont be dissapointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Usable, but still disappointing..., October 15, 2011
I don't normally write product reviews just to avoid redundancy, but seeing how this product only has one review so far, I thought I'd give back to the Amazon's community who has helped me with purchasing decisions on so many occasions. I think what makes my feedback even more valuable is the fact that I also own the Nikon-built battery grip (MB-D11) which at this time is exactly three times the cost of this grip. I know that a lot of the D7000 owners have been waiting for Zeikos to come through with a high quality alternative to the overpriced Nikon grip, so hopefully this review will help you decide if the savings outweigh the compromises (there are few major ones).

I bought the Nikon MB-D11 grip for one of my D7000s just about as soon as it came out (no alternatives available at the time) and have been very happy with it except for its price. Main reason why I use it is to offset the weight of the 70-200mm lens. The second D7000 set-up is never that heavy, so I decided it was worth waiting for the cheap third-party alternative.

The first third-party grip that showed up on Amazon was of Neewer brand. I was ready to pull the trigger as soon as I saw its price (currently 1/6th of Nikon's and 1/2 of Zeikos'), but after reading the reviews discussing a strange issue of "reversed dials" I decided it wasn't really worth the frustration. I shoot for a living in a very fast-paced and constantly changing environment, so I'd hate to take a chance of missing an important shot because the dials on my camera are screwed up. I know this probably makes no difference to those who leave their camera on "Auto", but I depend on correctly functioning equipment thus very biased in this regard.

When Zeikos grip showed up in Amazon's inventory I was ready once again, but not before it had more than one review, except non followed. I figured it was my turn to take one for the team, so here I am.

Amazingly the grip looks like an exact copy of the Nikon MB-D11. I really don't understand how they pull it off without infringing on Nikon's patents, but other than for the slightly different ornament on the rubber piece and the non-rubberized dials it looks exactly the same. Even the outside plastic's texture matches Nikon's indistinguishably.

Unfortunately that's where the similarities end. Simply put, it feels like Zeikos didn't invest any effort into this grip other than in its looks. The first thing I noticed after attaching it to the camera is the wobbling and rattling lock wheel. The same annoying wheel that plagued the D90's grip. You can't even move your camera without it sounding like rattle-toy. Seems like Zeikos didn't bother to listen to the numerous complaints related to that issue from their previous product releases. I agree that it's not a deal-breaker (to most) and just an annoyance without any measurable effect on performance, but why is it still there years later, when it could've been easily eliminated in just 5 minutes of basic engineering effort?

Even though this grip looks like an exact copy of Nikon's, for some reason it doesn't have as good of a fit. It does appear to be as flush, but when I apply a little bit of force to the corner closest to the shutter release button, I'm easily able to achieve about 1/8th of an inch of separation. Does it mean the camera may come loose? I really don't know, but I can't say I'd have 100% confidence in it when a really heavy lens is attached. Probably more like 99%, but that's enough to make you question whether the price difference between this grip and Nikon's is worth risking several thousand dollars worth of equipment for.

Another gripe, though not a really big one was the non-rubberized command dials. Unlike Nikon's, these are made of hard plastic and don't stick to your fingers. It's somewhat difficult to get a full rotation from one side to the other while doing so in a hurry. Not a major thing, but just as silly as the awful lock-wheel. I doubt it would've added more than a few cents extra per wheel if Zeikos had chosen to use ones of better quality.

The most disturbing thing about this grip was discovered after I'd turned on the camera. The camera detected the grip without any problems, focused just fine and also took pictures. But lo and behold, the darn command dials were reversed!!!

And that's when I went ahead and printed the return shipping label. I could've lived with all the other flaws, but the sole reason for getting this grip instead of the cheaper Neewer was the need for uncompromised functionality. Instead I got the same thing but for double the price.

Verdict:

As overpriced as Nikon MB-D11 is, it's still the best grip currently available and should be the one you get if money is not an issue, while Neweer's somewhat flawed grip should be considered as a solid alternative for the budget-conscious because it's dirt-cheap and reliable. Zeikos on the other hand, brings absolutely nothing new to the table in terms of quality and price. Just as flawed as the Neweer grip (as far as I know they are the same grip sold under different names), but for double the price. Hence the two stars.

*****************UPDATE********************

Before returning this item I decided to test my theory of whether Neweer and Zeikos grips are the same thing under different names. After inspecting them closely next to each other I can confirm this. Only thing that's different is the label. Though the label on the Neweer actually says Meike and so does the box. Makes no difference either way, just odd that it isn't listed as such on Amazon.

As for my search for a perfect alternative to the expensive MB-D11 - it's still on, but at the same time I decided to keep the Neweer/Mike grip until something better comes along or until the MB-D11 gets a major price-cut. Neweer will work just fine for some light use on my secondary camera and it's still better than no grip at all, since I will not be getting another Nikon MB-D11 at its current price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matches Perfect, March 12, 2009
For me It was either out of the flashpoint and this one from zeikos .. They had some other ones buts theses two were the only ones that I found that looked the closest to the Nikon grip ... long story short im 100% pleased with the zeikos grip -- the painted matted finish on my Nikon d300 is matched perfectly on the zeikos ,, Nikon recognized the grip with no problem, I got my 8 frames a sec -- which I love -- the textured grip part matched the camera grips perfect , everything fit snug all the controls worked great especially the little control that changes the focuses point, the feel was snug when healed in the vertical position

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon grip have your wallet wincing? I've got the solution!, March 26, 2010
Lrn2Go (Oklahoma City, Ok) - See all my reviews
So... you're in need of a battery grip for your Canon EOS 7D. You'd like the vertical grip... or the extra shooting time... or the ability to use AA batteries if you're in a pinch. So, you hop on to amazon, type in your search, and up comes the list of battery grips. Having heard the general internet buzz that ~typically~ official Canon equipment is the "best", you check out the official Canon BG-E7 and your mouth hits the floor when you see that pristine price tag.

If you're like me... your mind goes "Wow... that's a lot of money! I don't want a piece of junk, but certainly for something that is the equivalent to a handle with buttons and one extra battery slot they could price that a little better!" After all... aren't we all "saving up" for our next piece of glass anyway? Every dollar you can save on something trivial brings that sexy "L" glass that much closer... but, where do you cut costs? What is worth it, and what will you be regretting later? I've got one thing here that will put your mind at rest.

Buy this grip instead. You won't be sorry.

I wasn't sure... but the reviews were all very positive so I pulled the trigger and ordered this. I'm happy to say, everybody was right. Time for a quick list!

What's hot?
* Solid, excellent fit and finish, feels very "high quality"
* Actual rubber (not textured plastic) around finger-grip area on side and front.
* Extra "finger ridge" helps the grip feel more secure (NOT found on the Canon grip)
* Hole for Tripod mount
* Enables you to use a (not supplied) after-market hand strap.
* Will let your camera run on single OR double camera batteries, or 6 AA's, like almost all battery grips.
* All the same buttons as the Canon grip, all of which feel and work just like the 7D's buttons.
* Buttons can be turned on or off on the grip itself.
* Cheaper than the Canon grip by OVER $100 (which you can use to buy a second Canon battery, and STILL be ahead!)

What's not?
* It's thick. Seriously. It's about 2 3/4" thick all the way down. I have medium hands and it's not any real trouble for me to hold with it's rubber grip, finger ridge, and there's a place to tuck your thumb on the back. It's just thicker than the normal camera grip and takes some getting used too.

Final word: Again... buy it. You won't be sorry. It's not a "cheap knock-off" in any sense that you feel they cut any corners or skimped on material. It's solid, rugged, with a great textile feel. Zeikos trumps Canon on this one... as rare as that kind of an event is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for your money, August 31, 2009
PNOYTECHY (Daly City, CA) - See all my reviews
I'll go straight to my points

PROS
- Easy to install, no brainer
- Perfect fit with the D90
- It's the closest and best thing you could get to an MB-D80 for about $70... sweet
- Works as expected

CONS
- There is a delay in response when turning the dials, but not to the point that it will annoy you.
- The material (plastic) could have been sturdier if they made it a little thicker.
- The dials of the D90 and this grip are not of the same feel.

Overall, I am still pretty satisfied with this product considering how much I paid for it. The most important thing
is, IT WORKS PERFECTLY.

5.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS NOW, May 14, 2009
This battery pack is just like the MB-D10, and in my opinion has an even better shutter release. It does everything the MB-D10 does for a whole lot less. You must be out of your mind to buy the MB-D10 when you can get this at a fraction of the cost.

See my detailed 2 part video review on youtube under the user name of transferases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another rare 5 star rating! Well worth it!, August 5, 2009
PROS
====
1. The price is unbeatable.
2. It looks so good on the camera (I haven't seen the Canon version, but it can't be much better than this)
3. It's designed perfectly...buttons in the right places! How sweet to have most of the important buttons repeated and placed perfectly on the battery grip.
4. Battery compartment is on the back, so you don't have to take it off the tripod to change batteries.
5. Accommodates two batteries for double the power (see my review of the generic battery replacement...you really should get two of them)
6. Comes with a well built tray that holds 6 AA batteries for when you're in a power pinch.
7. Build quality is EXCELLENT. The buttons press nice, the dials roll nice, the battery compartment is well built and the rubber grip is perfect! (I'm sorry but I just can't see how Canon could make it any better.)

CONS
====
1. It's not Brand Name (if you can call this a CON) <--some people really have a problem with this. The only way you can tell it's generic is to look at the bottom (or base) of the grip...(the part that is always covered)
2. Resale value...since it's generic of course.

Conclusion
==========

I'm going to be blunt here, if you really are so petty that you have to get the 'brand name' version of this grip...I feel sorry for you. You're missing out on a great product that completely fulfills it's purpose flawlessly.

Save some money, or better yet, use the money you save to buy another flash card or some other gear you've been needing.

5 out of 5 and for good reason too!!

Zeikos ZE-CBG7D Battery Power Grip for Canon 7D Camera