Top positive review
80 of 80 people found this helpful
Good Value for a Hard Case...
on March 17, 2010
Here's what you get in the box:
* Hardside Case w/ handle & wheels (all pre-assembled)
* Nylon Strap
* 6 Hard-board, foam covered, slotted Dividers:
> 2 long dividers
> 2 medium dividers
> 2 short dividers
* 3 layers of foam:
> 3" perforated, pre-diced foam sheet (this is the layer you make your custom cutouts in...)
> 2" solid foam sheet (this is untouched, NOT perforated)
> 1/2" solid foam sheet (this is thin and is also untouched, NOT perforated)
Fit & Finish:
* The exterior is finished in a plastic/vinyl like material. The color is more like a flat gun metal black almost gray.
* The edges & corners are reinforced with aluminum type metal. They are fashioned with typical punch rivets.
* The hinges for the lid seem to made of steel, although not the highest grade.
* The locks are the typical brief-case/luggage style locks. They do the job to keep the lid closed, but I wouldn't rely on them to keep a thief out!
* The hand is a mix of metal, plastic, & synthetic leather.
* The wheel assembly is mostly plastic and is attached to the case with screws. The only metal part is the extendable handle - the actual handle assembly is plastic.
Form & Function:
I would not classify this case as "road-worthy", meaning if you are looking for a case that can take a beating and withstand very rough handling, then look elsewhere - this case will not last under abusive conditions. However, if you are looking for a case to keep your gear organized and give the illusion of professionalism for a bargain, then this is the case for you.
I think the case will handle the occasional drop and mishandling, but I fear it will begin show that kind of wear-and-tear quickly. But, if cared for, you'll get some pretty good mileage out of it.
I'm not using the "dividers" so I can not comment on how well the work. I can say that they are consistent with the rest of case as far as value and construction.
Now for the important stuff - customizing the foam inserts...
1) I did not expect the 3 layers of foam, of which, only 1 is perforate, pre-diced. All 3 are removable. (Be careful not to pull up the foam backing that's covering the bottom of the case - it is the same foam as the 1/2" blanket/layer...)
2) The perforations run the whole depth of the 3" layer. So, when you start pulling the squares out to form your custom inserts, you can NOT customize how deep you need them. If wanted, you can try to cut them at the point where you want the depth to be, but I found it easier to just remove the entire section - remember, this layer is only about 3" thick anyway...
3) The 2" solid layer is removable and is laying under the 3" perforated layer. (I actually had to cut a custom insert section in this layer as well to accommodate a bigger item...)
4) The 1/2" layer is like blanket that originally lay on top of the 3" perforated layer. I've since relocated it to the bottom under the 2" layer - so that means from the bottom up, the layers are: 1/2", then 2", and 3" at the top, obviously to expose the custom inserts.
The case is a really good value. For the size, the customizable foam layers, and numerous dividers, you really get a great value for your money. Keep in mind that the case is NOT built for a rugged/rough adventure, but rather for customized organization, protective storage, and transportation of your precious equipment. I highly recommend this for amateurs & semi-pros looking to get the most bang-for-your-buck, for this I give it 5-stars!
Remember! "Measure twice. Cut once."