5.0 out of 5 stars Zeikos ZE-TR201P 77-Inch Full Size Tripod
Published on December 7, 2009 by B. Leszczynski

2.0 out of 5 stars A cheapo tripod with height
First off, I would have given the tripod a 2 1/2 star rating if possible, but opted for 2 over 3 to balance against what I deem to be excessively positive reviews.

Published on April 22, 2010 by A. Lohr

2.0 out of 5 stars A cheapo tripod with height, April 22, 2010
A. Lohr (Buffalo, NY USA) - See all my reviews

When I started shopping for a tripod, my main concern was to find something affordable that had enough height that I would rarely have to raise the center column (this seriously compromises stability) and would allow me to take vertical photos which my Velbon 607 Videmate does not (if you're shopping for a tripod for video, the 607 is an amazing tripod for the money). By the description and reviews, this tripod appeared to fit the bill.

When it arrived I was initially impressed by the apparent quality of the tripod. While the legs aren't heavy duty or more expensive material, the same money at Best Buy won't get you something as sturdy or tall, and the padding, carrying handle and functional dual bubble levels seemed like icing on the cake.

The main problem, however, lies in the quick release plate. For those who don't know, this is the component you attach to the bottom of your camera that allows it to latch onto the tripod. The issue is that it simply isn't very secure on the camera itself. I bought this tripod mainly so I can shoot vertical (portrait) photos, but if I put my old, 80-200 telephoto lens on this thing and turn it for a vertical shot, it simply spins and points downward. The camera and lens together weigh between 2-2.5 pounds.

I tried tightening the screw on the plate as tight as I could, but the small plastic knob is impossible to get a firm grip around. It does have a shallow notch with which you can use a nickel to tighten it further, but after two uses I can already see the plastic stripping away. And after tightening as far as it would go, the camera would still spin loose with the lightest touch.

It does, however, seem to work ok when using a very light lens like the stock 18-55, so maybe it won't be so bad when I get my new, lighter telephoto lens, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

The second issue I have also deals with the tripod head. When you tilt the head for a vertical shot, the thing goes about 10 degrees past vertical, which means you need to manually align the camera by pushing it left and right on a sticky, plastic hinge, and neither bubble level is designed to help you in this regard. You'll just have to eye it up.

Third and finally, while the leg clamps do keep the legs from slipping, a few of them pop loose with hardly any force. Just brushing against it with the seam of your jeans is enough to pop it loose and cause a leg segment to suddenly collapse.

So ultimately, if you need a cheap but tall tripod (I'm 5'11" and don't need to extend the center column on this thing), and either don't really need vertical photos or are using a very light camera, this isn't that bad. However, for my DSLR I'm wishing I spent a bit more and got something with a better quality head. Also, if you're looking for something for video, I'd recommend going with the Velbon 607 if you have any intention of panning while filming as this thing is far too sticky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zeikos ZE-TR201P 77-Inch Full Size Tripod, December 7, 2009
Tripod head is all metal, no plastic parts to break or strip so camera weight is not an issue. Joints and machine screws came factory lubricated and hold true in any position. Head is removable and quick release mount is spring loaded and locks solid (also metal). Legs lock in place with plastic compression clamps that are quite sturdy. Elevator gear moves flawless after a few squirts of DW 40 or Silicone. No spikes on feet. Weight hook is plastic, flimsy and worthless. All in all having a metal head with your tripod is worth the price. Most tripods are junk but they made this one right! You should buy it. Comes with a great bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than adjustable three-legged stand, February 12, 2010
This review is from: Zeikos ZE-TR5A Flexible Tripod (Camera)
Before buying this item, I did lot of research on all types of tripod.

1. All Flexi mini Tripods in this category are same except Brand name on Tripod. I purchased Zeikos and other 2 brands from Amazon.

I tried this tripod on Sony Cybershot DSC (Whose tripod holder is not at center place (Sony likes different)). but I did not face any issue with that.
This Tripod strong enough for a Canon SX10IS.(its similar to SLR without additional lenses. But You need to spread out the legs of Tripod.)

2. I bought this mini Flexi tripod and ended up making this my travel companion. Here are my reasons for liking it a lot:
- It's sturdier than I expected. The rubber feet prevent slipping and the flexible legs can easily hold a typical camera without bending under the weight.
- While it's light enough to carry around, you can keep in your pocket. Flexi Tripod size is less than 6".
- With the legs spread out at the bottom it makes a great grip for little cameras.
- Its perfect replacement for Mini Tripod also Mini Tripod are more bulkier, heavier.
- Flexi Tripod helps you a lot to take pictures on self timer with less space available for Tripod.
- You can spread out the legs also bend/twist the legs (not at great extend)to adjust the angle.
- Unlike straight-leg tripods, you can make the feet grip a vertical edge, like a cube partition.
- shooting at a low speed and risk of blurring the shot, You can use any object/ place for stability (6" X 6" place is more than enough)
- Very nice tripod for who thinks they are not professional photographers.

Drawbacks
- One design drawback is the mounting screw is fixed. You don't get a little thumb knob to twist when mounting the camera, you have to rotate the whole tripod. But it's so small and the legs squeeze together so close that it's easy to do.
- Tripod height is less if you keep on ground its but obvious it makes some angle when you are standing for photograph.
- I am not sure about life of this Tripod, But It can go for 2-3 years at least :)

Conclusion:
Hello!!!
You are buying this item for nothing. This item is just for $1-$4 range. Don't compare with Costly gorilla pod/ mini Tripod.
Who needs quick photographs at any place(and bother to ask others for clicking your snap). If you lost this item you will never mind.
This item is great you can go for that.

11/13/2013 UPDATED:
********************
After 3 Years it is still working without any issue.
Now I upgraded my camera to Canon T5i and it holds nicely(Need to keep at certain angle for bulky camera).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Price, February 8, 2009
Its easy to give this product five stars because it performs amazingly and the price it outstanding. I've used this tripod for all sorts of projects from photography to time lapse work and night work using infrared cameras. Every camera it has held well and sturdy and has performed without any flaws. It has great height to get low to high shots which for me makes overview work easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, and it's almost FREE!, September 3, 2010
This review is from: Zeikos ZE-TR5A Flexible Tripod (Camera)
How do they manufacture something like this across the ocean in China or somewhere, package it, ship it to the US, ship it from Port of Entry to the retailer, pay Amazon their commission, and then ship it to the end user, ALL FOR UNDER TWO BUCKS delivered to your door?!? It's crazy! I'm amazed! Even more amazing is that it really works!

I bought it because it is small enough to fit in my camera bag, and never again will I be wishing I had something besides a rock or a table or a tree branch to balance my camera on. Yes, it's only 4 inches tall, and that means you can't spread the legs far enough for some serious stability like you would be able to do with something with longer legs. But for my approx 1-2 lb digital camera, it is plenty stable, and you can bend the legs every-which way, meaning that you can put them where they need to be to hold your camera securely, as well as angle the lens slightly up or down, or adjust for unevenness of whatever surface you are setting the tripod on. You can easily spread the legs as far as 6" apart, so you can get the feet comfortably outside of your camera's center of gravity. The legs are stiff enough to stay where you put them, although you have to initially bend them past the point you want, as they will spring back a little bit. The little rubber feet have good traction.

So while the downside is that it is not a larger tripod, the upside is that it is not a larger tripod. It fits in my camera bag and will hold my camera much more steady and securely than balancing it on some fencepost, the roof of a car, or whatever I've resorted to before. And did I mention that it's PRACTICALLY FREE?!?

Besides the inherent limitations of a small - no - tiny tripod, the only other negative I've noticed is that the little rubber feet will leave a "track" on a light-colored countertop if you scoot it around, but that comes off easily with some spray cleaner and a paper towel. Also, some reviews of similar products here on Amazon mention a "toxic plasticy odor" that is apparently extremely strong with some similar products. That was what I was most worried about when I ordered this one, and I'm pleased to say that, while it does have a slight "plasticy" smell, it is no worse than many new products made of rubber or plastic when you first open the box. But it is not a strong odor, and I think it will actually go away completely with some time airing out.

The price varies, depending upon who you get it from - I got mine from GetItDigital for less than two bucks with free shipping. (And the shipping is free even if you only order this one item, instead of having to reach the $25 minimum order that sometimes applies.)

So go ahead, get one - what do you have to lose? Two bucks? How many times would you have given a lot more than that to have something besides a rock to balance your camera on?

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW 4 the Price, August 8, 2009
I looked at several mid to low priced tripods before buying this one. I got it to go with my Canon Rebel 500d because of it's weight. It sets up easy and feels very sturdy. I would suggest that anyone doing gallery shots where 77 inches of height makes a difference, this is the tripod for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Zeikos ZE-TR26A is a bad product., July 19, 2009
I think anyone that looks at this product should consider another brand because the build of this product is way to delicate for any kind of Photography. It is too wobbly, thin, and it feels like it's going to break in your hand's, yeah this one is cheap but you will end up buying another one after a few weeks to a month when you could have bought one for 20-30 dollar's more but will outlive this one by a long shot.
I really do not recommend this tripod for nature Photographer's or any outdoor Photography. just maybe for indoor but even then I still would not recommend it.

Richie

2.0 out of 5 stars it's ok I guess, October 2, 2009
drderek (knoxville,TN) - See all my reviews
I recently bought this tripod for a family trip to the beach. I am relatively new to slr photography and this is my first tripod.

When the tripod first arrived the knob for setting the head for portrait shots would not stay on. However I called customer service and they did send me replacement knob for the one that turned out to be stripped.

Even so, that function of the head is more or less useless since the swivel is not strong enough to really stay where you set it and the weight of the camera pulls it down. Fortunately I figured out that you can take portrait shots anyway simply by putting the camera on sideways and using the tilt.

Since I was at the beach, naturally I attempted some sunrise/sunset landscape shots. This is how i found out that the bubble level is pretty much useless. I figure either the bubble is wrong, or it levels the legs beautifully and the poorly-made head doesn't sit level on them, or the ocean itself is off level. I did notice that even after everything was leveled, panning would throw it off again which makes me think its the head and not the un-level ocean. Either way it was a hassle to have to look through the viewfinder whilst leveling the legs every time you wanted to pan or move the tripod.

Overall, I guess it did what its supposed to, although I will definitely be looking for a better tripod that won't be such a pain in the neck to set up each shot. I guess I should have listened to what other people have posted on the net about bargain tripods, but I guess you have to try everything for yourself before you can fully understand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it at any price, August 11, 2009
Received this with a camera kit I bought. Extremely light construction, won't hold a digial SLR camera. Even with a small point-and-shoot digital camera, the legs are wobbly when set up, so not usable for any type of outdoor shooting (a small gust of wind would topple it).

I would reccomend paying a little more and getting a sturdier tripod.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed, January 24, 2010
Jerry Hogan (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
Purchased the Ziekos ZE TR125B black 75" tripod hoping it would perforn above average due to the higher load capability and past performance of a friends similar tripod. Sadly, I am disapointed and have 2 concerns. The first is the lock that is to hold the plate and whatever you have mounted in the vertical (portrait) orientation is plastic and definetly NOT up to holding the weight of my Nikon D80 with Tamron 17-50 and Nikon SB600 flash in the vertical plane. It broke the first time I attempted to tighten it. I have repaired and modified it so it works better, but it still is not satisfactory. The second is that the lower legs are difficult to extend, this condition may ease as the unit ages, but I feel it should not require such a hard pull on each leg to extend as the upper legs virtually slide out. I guess I have learned (again) not to try to go "cheap" when quality is needed.
Other things like appearence, stability, weight, transportability etc. are all good.

Zeikos ZE-TR5A Flexible Tripod