4.0 out of 5 stars UV filter
These filters are good, but not great. I would definitely recommend them, but there are better ones out there. These are cheapest multi coated filters that I have been able to find. I owned some other "tiffen" ones, but they sucked, and were not multi coated.

Published on November 24, 2009 by Victor Garcia

3.0 out of 5 stars Only for small aperture lenses/settings
Published on August 6, 2010 by Mr. Vijay Venkataraman

3.0 out of 5 stars Only for small aperture lenses/settings, August 6, 2010
This review is from: Zeikos ZE-UV77 77mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
I don't like using unnecessary filters on my lenses (I have a B+W CPL as the only other filter I use), but I wanted to protect my 10-22mm without spending a ton. I wanted to give this multi coated filter a shot for its incredibly low price. After receiving this, I did a bunch of RAW tests with and without the filter in bright sunlight and with the bright sun in the pictures, and I could not see any perceptible difference between having the filter on or off. If anything, there was very minor improvement with the filter on (this was on a hazy evening and pixel peeping at 100%). There is no vignetting at 10mm. Excellent value.

Update 10/31/2010:
I tested this Zeikos on my large aperture Sigma 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4 with a light source in the picture frame and I found prominent halo and internal reflections with this filter on. My Hoya MRC filter showed no haze or internal reflections and was indistinguishable from no filter on. As a result, I have decided to downgrade my recommendation for this filter to average. This is not a filter to be used on large aperture lenses with significant light sources in the picture frame.

4.0 out of 5 stars UV filter, November 24, 2009

They did show some glare in the pictures, but it was MINIMAL compared to the non coated ones I previously had. The only other option is to buy 30-40 dollar multi coated filters. Pass on that.

I'm a person that likes to always have the filters on for protection, so I bought 4 for all my lenses.... This was the cheapest way to do it.

1.0 out of 5 stars I know the package says it's multi-coated..., May 19, 2010
...but you sure can't tell by looking at it.

The purpose of multi-coating is to reduce reflections from the surface of the glass. These filters appear to have the same reflectivity as a plain piece of glass. And, unlike every other multi-coated filter that I own, reflections from this Zeikos filter are untinted. As far as I know, that's pretty much impossible with a true multi-coated filter.

My conclusion? Either the filters I received have serious manufacturing defects or somebody is shading the truth. Since other reviewers have commented about the lack of tinted reflections, I'm assuming it's the latter. Both filters (the 52 and 72mm) have been returned to Amazon for refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, no difference in image, August 5, 2009
I got this to protect the stock lens of my Canon XS. Took me a couple tries to thread the filter on to the lens. The pictures with the filter on show no visible difference from the ones without.

Pros
- Multi-coated unlike the Tiffen filter
- No scratches
- Auto focus is still fast. I couldn't tell the difference
- cheap

Cons
- Threading could be a little better. Although, it doesn't bother me because I don't plan on removing it from the lens often.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Multi-coated, November 10, 2010
The product name is mislabeled. This is not a multi-coated filter. It may or may not be single coated on both sides. Multi-coated lenses show a faint purple or green reflection. This shows a natural color reflection, indicating uncoated or single coating. Additionally, consider that it is not mentioned on the actual packaging nor printed on the ring that it is multicoated or even single coated.

For the three dollars that I got it for, this would be a 3-4 star rated 58mm uncoated UV filter. It works fine as an uncoated filter, except that the filter threads do not properly fit both the EF-S 18-55mm and the EF-S 55-250mm, whereas the Hoya 58mm UV MC Filter does fit both perfectly. The filter stays on, but it may damage your threads if you tighten it properly.

I would recommend this if you don't care about glare or the thread fitting properly. If you keep it on a lens that you don't use much for protection, it should be fine. If you are sensitive about image and manufacturing quality, buy the Hoya 58mm UV MC Filter or equivalent instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Muilt-Coated Filter, December 9, 2009
New to digital photography and read that multi-coated filters where the way to go. I purchased two of these for my Canon XSi 18-55mm lens and a 55-250 telephoto lens. It took a gentle hand to ensure it threaded properly, but once on worked fantastic. I would highly recommend this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars This isn't a Multi-Coated Filter, November 7, 2009
The price was great, but actually looking at the filter I can see clearly this isn't what I was hoping for -- there's no multi-coating.

You can test this by looking at a reflection of a light source on its surface: a perfect reflection indicates no coating, a dim reflection indicates a single coating, and a green reflection indicates multiple coatings. This filter mirrors reflections perfectly, which means it's just untreated glass. (sigh)

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, but you get what you pay for, June 25, 2010
I bought the Zeikos filter for my new Tamron 18-270, hoping to save a few bucks. In the past, I paid more for Hoya and even B+W filters, but thought that I didn't need to do so again. I was wrong. I could easily see image degradation with the Zeikos that I didn't with a Hoya Pro-1 Digital. You'd think a piece of glass is a piece of glass, but... The advanced coatings of the Hoya do seem to make a difference. I bought a Hoya and put the Zeikos on the shelf, and I could see the improvement.

3.0 out of 5 stars decent considering low price, October 2, 2009
This review is from: Zeikos ZE-UV77 77mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
I currently only purchase multi-coated UV filters for all my lenses, but it's difficult to find an inexpensive 77mm Hoya HMC filter. I took a chance on this Zeikos UV filter, noting that the packaging did indeed state that it was multi-coated. When I received the product, the glass appears to have no better anti-glare coating than a non-coated UV filter I compared it to. My Hoya filters show little to no light reflections (just a faint blue-green ghost reflection of light sources), but the Zeikos just looks like basic glass. I haven't noted any ill effects (reflections/flares/distortion) in photos yet, but I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the extra $$ for a Hoya filter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than more expensive Tiffen, April 17, 2010
valleyblog (Western Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
Having had Tiffen filters in three of my lenses, I was getting uncrisp, almost faded looking photos in the day time, and heavily flared nightime photos. At first I thought it was due to my relatively low budget Nikon D40 camera and lens setup.

After much trial and error and eventually suspecting the filters, I tried the Zeikos and what an amazing eye-opener. The pictures are now much crisper, more contrasty and professional looking. The flare is still an issue but only mildly and occasionally, and never nowhere near as bad as the Tiffens were. And the Zeikos online cost about a third of what I paid for the Tiffens at the camera store.

Zeikos is probably not the best out there, but for the low price they're probably among the best values.

The Tiffens are going in the garbage.

Rate and Discover Movies