5.0 out of 5 stars Can your mind be open? Can you see things through?
Published on March 6, 2011 by Anya

3.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING...
Published 24 months ago by globaljeannie

5.0 out of 5 stars Can your mind be open? Can you see things through?, March 6, 2011
This review is from: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward (DVD)
A must see! This film elegantly explains why so many things don't seem to be right in the world today. Do we ever examine what we believe? Do we ever ask ourselves what money really is? The monetary system is not helping us in any way - it is hurting us in many ways. It's a modern day slavery. The whole global monetary system is a giant Ponzi scheme soon to collapse... but hey, don't believe me. Who am I to say this? Do your own research. There is plenty of evidence out there in the daylight, waiting for us to see. But we are so brainwashed with the way things are that we don't even see any signs or worse, we simply deny the parade of things-gone-wrong in the world today (the end of oil, environmental degradation, wars, to mention just a few). Do your research; this film is a good place to start. It will open your eyes to things most people are far from being aware of. Wake up - you are not a mindless consumer. You are not what you think you are; the world is not what you think it is; and certainly, the money is not what you were taught to believe it is. The change can only start in the heart - let it be your heart.

Money: Understanding and Creating Alternatives to Legal Tender
Web of Debt

5.0 out of 5 stars The world needs to WAKE UP!, March 27, 2011
This review is from: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward (DVD)
This movie is maybe the greatest movie ever created for the purpose of saving humanity from it's plight against the global economic system that is against the growth of humanity. It proves that money is no longer valid in a world where humans will stop at nothing to destroy the planet in the name of profit. We currently function in a world where capitalism promotes infinite growth, where the planet has finite resources. Obviously we have a problem, and it must be fixed, otherwise there will not be a planet to pass on to our children. This movie is well overdue and will create awareness and open minds to what is really happening in our world today. This movie will seriously change the way you view the world, and it offers solutions to the problems we face. Please see it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Please, March 11, 2011
This review is from: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward (DVD)
Please watch this movie. Are there any intelligent people left in the world? This sums up our future. Everyone needs to see this movie, EVERYONE.

3.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING..., August 4, 2012
This review is from: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward (DVD)
As a huge fan of the original Zeitgeist (I watch it every 4-6 months), I sat down last night to watch Zeitgeist: Moving Forward with great anticipation for three hours of cerebral massage. Well, I got my wish---in a painfully slow, ponderous way. The format was a back-and-forth montage of videotaped academics lecturing on neurobiology. The lecturers laid the foundation for the connection between societal violence and poverty (poverty of both economic opportunity and of social needs). I doubt this discussion will offer much revelation to the majority of knowledgeable viewers. I kept asking myself, "Where is this film going?"

The answer lies in the final hour (if you can hang in there that long)---where The Earth Project and a future cashless society is described in utopian details. Lovely ideas. A cool description of self-sustaining, futuristic concentric city design. A vision of world citizens on every continent dumping their fiat cash in the streets as a sign of independence from the international monetary cartels. [The visual image portrayed in the movie reminded me of Mario Savio's 1964 ode to civil disobedience, "There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart that you can't take part! You can't even passively take part! And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus---and you've got to make it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it---that unless you're free the machine will be prevented from working at all!!!"]

Sadly, this film does not provide insight into effective civil resistance to our unsustainable socio-political morass. It is a journey of disjointed information that leaves the viewer lost in the 'fog of rhetoric'. Bummer.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph for Believers and a Comedy for the Rest..., March 31, 2014
This review is from: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward (DVD)
If you already subscribe to the ideals that this movie promotes then this will be a good cheerleading session for you.

However, if you are a critical thinker you will probably be disappointed. The movie is slanted, it is not interested in balanced descriptions of problems and solutions, it basically starts with an end in mind and ponderously works its way towards it. Along the way is a role call of the usual suspects who have caused this mess but whom seem to mostly be those on one side of the political, ideological spectrum which is somewhat suspicious but is at least consistent with this kind of demagoguery. (Meet the new boss, same as the old boss plays as I write this) The conclusion (spoiler alert!!!) that science is what we should be using, as politics and religion have nothing meaningful to add here, to direct our lives has its own special irony as science is empirical and material and generally does not do well with things like the spirit (Zeitgeist?). Oh, and for all the conspiracy inclined, the solution also seems to be a World Resource Authority that will coordinate everything, remove the concept of property (or at least private property), create one civilization, and all use would be based on need not merit. People of only the correct political orientation need apply except it won't be called political orientation once everyone who was wrong is gone.

I think that you either have to be a believer to appreciate this or at least have a low level of skepticism in order to enjoy this kind of movie/book/sermon. As I am not the former and have a lot of the latter, I see it a mostly a waste of my time. It quickly lost its humor and its obvious attempts at manipulation are examples of insipid propaganda bordering on indoctrination. Not to say that I didn't agree with some points but that the bobble-headed pronouncements of 'obvious' truths belong in a good comedy, not a movie that takes itself seriously or that I am supposed to take seriously. If I were 15 again I would probably like this a lot more. But then again, when I was 15 we were reading 1984, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, and Walden Two so your results may vary, mine taught me be suspicious of people who want to run the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can We Hit the 'Reset' Button?, December 24, 2012
Eric Sanberg (Berwyn, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward (DVD)
Oliver Stone's movie "JFK", as much as I like it, is barely a movie in that it is a barrage of information. If you blink you miss something. There is no real breathing room. It's very much like this documentary.

Here's the scoop. Zeitgeist: Moving Forward propounds that the angst, horror and overall crumbling we are experiencing around the world in general, and in the United States in particular, is due to the world economic system. Writer/director Peter Joseph systematically outlines how things work and how they are doomed, by nature, to finally fail. He then goes on to outline a new system whereby not only can the world sustain itself, but crime, poverty and many other of the ills we are experiencing will be reduced to the bare minimum.

I am not going to tell you I am smart enough to have absorbed everything thrown at me here. At two hours twenty this is jam packed with enough information to keep the average viewer busy for months. Joseph has a cadre of (for my dollar) brilliant talking heads on display addressing parts of the equation in line with their particular discipline. The first part deals with socially related items such as mass and serial killers and how they are a product of a fiercely stratified society. The second half outlines how the global economic society is set up and how, finally, it must crumble because of things like planned obsolescence and finite resources. He then shifts gears and outlines a plan to make a u-turn and get things on a track that will divert disaster.

What Peter Joseph envisions is noble no doubt, but I have to wonder if it could work. It's not the plan I doubt, it's whether or not the planet could shift its paradigm. I don't see the powers that be doing anything other than what they have been doing no matter what the cost to the rest of us. They aren't going to let go. And what of us? We are inundated day in and day out to want more and see things a certain way. It's who we are. How do we change who we are? According to Joseph, there isn't much time left and what he's asking seems as though it would take a long time. We are talking about restructuring society.

This is generally well made. I took exception to some of the unfairly heavy handed images that accompanied the script. And the end was cheesy and unrealistic. This needs to be seen by everyone, including the powers that be. I don't know that these changes can be made, but I can hope.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looking backwards, December 30, 2012
This review is from: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward (DVD)
"Zeitgeist: Moving Forward" is the last part of the trilogy that gave us the Zeitgeist Movement. I admit that I didn't bother watching all of it, nor shall I do so in the future. It seems to be a rehash of the ideas in "Zeitgeist: Addendum", the main difference being that director Peter Joseph has added interviews with a number of scholars to give his little movement more clout.

If anything, "Moving Forward" sounds even more absurd than "Addendum". The film advocates a world-wide planned economy, but without mentioning that tainted term. Instead it uses the flashier monikers Global Resource Management System, Global Production Management System and Demand & Distribution Tracking System, all part of a Resource-Based Economy defined as "the scientific method applied to social concern". The planned economy controls everything through computers, which work independently of humans. Science and technology are unbiased, neutral and objective. "There is no Democratic or Republican way to build an airplane". Therefore, a strictly scientific economy will truly solve our problems and take care of all our needs.

Apparently, all (!) private ownership should be abolished as well. Everything you need can be borrowed gratis from local "access centres". Production is based on an assessment of human needs, including the need for leisure, recreation and music. It's not clear how these needs can be assessed or quantified by computers, but we are assured that they will. Strangely, there will be abundance despite the fact that the planned economy will be strictly sustainable and in harmony with Nature.

Our old friend Jacque Fresco is featured again. He is virtually unknown, but presented as an important inventor, political thinker and social critic. According to Wiki, Fresco used to be both a Communist and a Technocrat before striking out on his own. Indeed, the Technocrats seemed to have had some ideas similar to those of the Zeitgeist group.

As usual, we are not told *how* the brave new world should be brought about. What groups, strata or classes in society have an objective material interest in creating an international planned economy? Who could carry out such a program? How? Using what strategy? Presumably, scientists, engineers and technocrats are the vanguard of the future. But then what? Why should scientists support Joseph or Fresco?

I'm not against sustainability or even state intervention in the economy, but please, this is demented. I'm not against technology either but, once again, the over-reliance on technological solutions in "Moving Forward" sounds almost like a parody. A parody of Murray Bookchin or Sam Dolgoff, perhaps?

The Zeitgeist Movement is something as peculiar as a utopian socialist sect based largely in cyberspace.

And there it shall remain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Points out many of our problems, but offers no real answers, only fluff and crap., December 29, 2013
I loved the first half of this program, and agree with the problems caused by a few people controlling the rest of us through graft and manipulation. However, the last half is filled with crap.
The 'solutions' offered is more CONTROL. More 'you only have what you need, and you get it from our system of resource, production, and supply.' Communism taken to the extreme.
Take transportation as an example. We only use a car for some 45 minutes a day he claims, so their answer is that we don't need to 'own' a car, only 'rent' one when we need it and return it when we don't - like a library book he says. How do we get home after returning it to the 'car library'? What if you live in the country, like I do? Do I walk the twenty miles? Fly? Get a ride? If I get a ride, what does the person do when they drop me off? Do they beg a ride from someone else who has to return their car to the 'car library'?
Who puts gas in the tank? Who does the oil changes? The tire rotation? Fills the washer fluid? The people at the 'car library'?
What about holidays? Will there be enough cars at the 'car library' for everyone who's going to see family? If so, what about the waste of all those cars sitting all year long? Isn't that horribly wasteful?
That's just cars. They want us to 'borrow' everything! Video cameras, computers, clothes, dishes, everything. Use it for the few minutes or hours we actually use it, then return it to the 'clothes library' or the 'dishes library'. How do we return all these things? Go to the 'car library' and 'borrow' a car, return everything to their 'libraries,' then return the car? How wasteful! Think of all the usage on the cars from the 'car library' and all that gas to go borrow everything we need or want to use everyday and then return it when we're done using it! Insanity!
Pathetic. And it's all run by whom? Who decides if my need for a car to get to work at the same time every day is important enough that there will be one available for me every day? Or to go borrow everything else I want to use every day. Or do I have to give up my 'unsustainable' lifestyle in the country and move to a city with everyone else? No farms then. How are we going to grow crops? On rooftops? Or just eat Soylent Green on Mondays and Soylent Yellow on Tuesdays and so on?
The entire last half of this thing had me laughing! It was like some crazy redux of a Russian propaganda film from the fifties or China in the seventies! Impossible answers to simple problems.
I really loved, "Ownership is an outdated concept, and inherently evil."
Bwahahaha. Yes comrade! I will begin riding my bike to work in the cruel northern winter immediately! Oh, wait, I can't! I don't own a bike, I have to go 'borrow' one from a 'bike library'!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Start, but..., November 3, 2013
Loved the first part... interesting, thought provoking. SO disappointed with the offered, "solution." After criticizing a lack of empathy on wall street. The film offers pure logic, supercomputers, to decide what is best for all on a new earth. Last I was aware, you can't get much a larger lack in empathy than pure logic, or the machinations of a computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly, Amazing Dare I say Naked Truth, September 30, 2013
The series runs together in my mind. All was enlightening albeit unsettling for me to absorb. Certainly when exposed to the naked truth of events, circumstances & fact it can be upsetting. I think about all the US has done It is no wonder the world hates us...Certainly, one can not argue with someone who interviews & says he did what they chronicled...Hit Men to governments...the 3 stages...It sadly was easy to accept the facts & realize the possibility of it being the unvarnished truth!

Zeitgeist: Moving Forward