on July 31, 2010
Verified Purchase
Two important points to note prior to purchasing:

1. This is reference material, not a course in Zend Framework.
2. The content of these books is available for free online at the Zend Framework Programmer's Reference Guide ([...]). From the comparisons I've made, these books are verbatim copies of the online material including examples. The online version is free, searchable, and color-coded so I think I'll literally close the book on these.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
I had a long standing preorder with Amazon.com for the book "Zend Framework: The Official Programmer's Reference Guide"

The order was shipped on 17 April, and arrived today (in Australia), but there are the following faults found within the first 30 seconds of opening the book.

Volume 1:
Table of Contents starts on page v and the first entry is for Results - Page 50, what happened to the Table of Contents entries for pages 1-49?

Volume 2:
ditto, Table of Contents starts on page v and the first entry is for Results - Page 45, what happened to the Table of Contents entries for pages 1-44?

The last page in Volume 2 is page 636, yet the Table of Contents lists Appendix D on page 637, and an Index starting on page 639, where are these?

These errors (have not even had time to read it to find typos etc - I hate to think how many there will be!!!) make the product unfit for its intended use, namely a reference manual, and I am wondering how soon you can re-ship a working product?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 2, 2010
Verified Purchase
I pre-ordered this book over a year ago and received it the day it was published. I was so expecting an in depth look into the Zend Framework and simply. I was sadly mistaken. This book is just the same reference material you would find on the [...] web site. Now if that is how they described the book to me I would give it 5 stars. Their is nothing wrong with having a hard copy of the online docs but ZEND it would be so much better to have a series of books that bring you an in-depth usage of the Zend classes and methods. The online documentation only scratches the surface and is useful for newbies. We need an enterprise level manual! Now if your really in need of a good Zend book check out this: Zend Enterprise PHP Patterns (Expert's Voice)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...