Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Dirty Gardener Zenith Zoysia Grass Seed - 5 Pounds
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Zoysia is normally vegetatatively propagated, a fairly expensive method involving the use of plugs and plantings of grass sod or sprigs. Because of the cost and labor involved in plugging, for 60 years, they have been trying to develop a seeded zoysia that is as good as the plugged varieties (eg,, Z-52). Success has not arrived yet. Zoysia seed is extremely moisture constrained, and in the unlikely event you can get it to germinate, it is often genetically unstable, producing a thick bladed, rather light green, non-uniform turf. (However, recent cultivars, like Zenith, have better leaf texture and color.) Given the low cost of seeded zoysia compared to plugged, a seeded zoysia lawn is still a good option for many people, as even a seeded zoysia lawn still has many of the advantages of zoysia in terms of weed resistance and low water use. BTW, I do not recommend zoysia north of the Mason-Dixon line, because it will be brown too much of the year.
on March 30, 2012
I used this exact seed. 1 lb. bag of seed. I tilled an area of 1,500 sq. feet. Put out some 10-10-10 fertilizer and spread the seed evenly over the area. I watered the area just long enough to get the soil moist. I did not try to bury the seeds as I read they need sunlight to germinate. I then put clear plastic sheeting (cheapest clear plastic I could buy at Lowes) and left this on the area for 3.5 weeks. The grass sprouted and was about 1/4 inch long. Weeds sprouted too but quicly died due to the heat under the plastic. The plastic kept the area damp under the plastic so I only wattered the are once before putting down the plastic. I would water the are each day after work (about 5pm) for another 2 weeks. The grass didn't spread much the first growing season but has entirely filled in the second growing season. This is what it takes to get this to grow from seed. I gave 3 stars due to difficulty in growing and added expense in plastic but its a 5 star grass now. I recommend if your not lazy..if your lazy don't try this from seed.
66 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2015
I am very pleased with the Zenith zoysia grass seed I received. I've had exceptional success with the germination of this seed. I was very surprised well beyond my expectations.
Before planting I removed the existing sod and worked and leveled the top 4 inches of soil and added starter fertilizer. I planted the seed by hand on May 17th on a small, narrow section of my lawn (around 225 square feet). I covered the seed with a thin layer of peat moss to protect against birds and erosion. I watered the peat moss thoroughly in order to wet through to the seed (very important), and kept the area watered well. Seeds started to germinate at 7 days. I removed weeds by hand. This was somewhat tedious but the weeds were easy to remove and, since the plot was only about 6 foot wide, I was able to do this without stepping on the sprouting seed. Foot long tweezers were a great help here. I added another light application of granular fertilizer at 3 weeks. It is now June 14th (week 4) and the area is almost completely covered with 1 inch tall zoysia with very little weeds to boot. I am a very happy camper to say the least and plan on doing this again next spring.
on August 23, 2015
The grass seed arrived on time and was very clean, pure Zoysia. We prepared a 1,000 SF seed bed, buried a Railbird popup sprinkler system around the perimeter, broadcast a good fertilizer, broadcast the seed and then raked it in about an inch deep. One week later we have a good stand of one inch tall new Zoysia grass. We have the sprinkler system watering every six hours and that seems to work since we're also in a rainy period on the Big Island - Kona side, where we live. It is a small lawn in front of our bamboo home next to a koi pond and small Japanese garden. It should look great when it grows and thickens and will provide a green carpet of short grass for eating outside with a view of Kealakekua Bay and South Point. I will mow with a reel-type mower to keep the grass short. It seems to be the right solution in our situation for a small grass lawn.
on June 7, 2011
I purchased this seed and installed to the letter of the instructions. Not a single sprig grew. Unfortunately, I purchased an additional $700 worth of Zenith Zoysia seed from another company thinking that the problem was just with this distributor's seeds and had the same results. I have since discussed it with several area experts, including from the Univ. of Florida extension, and was told that Zenith Zoysia will not grow in Florida. I was also advised that even that which I grew and nurtured in a vegetable starter tray and planted as plugs will not survive a year. After an unsuccessful attempt with another type of zoysia plugs, I ended up sodding the 1/2 acre with Empire Zoysia and have great results. Be sure to check with your local extension office before wasting your considerable time and resources seeding zoysia.
on April 23, 2013
After you plant your seeds until you see it start to come up, which seems like it takes forever (2 weeks for me), you have to keep it moist all the time. If you let the soil get completely dry at any time it will not grow.

I tried test patches until I figured this out. Continued parts of my lawn this way for the past two seasons and have had no problems at all. This should be my last round of planting. I would have done it all at once but it's hard to keep that much area watered.

It's not rye grass people. You can't just toss it around and expect it to grow.
on March 10, 2016
This is really GOOD grass. On so many levels. First off, Im not like some of my neighbors, who are obsessed with their grass. I just want to survive after cutting a few acres and hilly acres with a push mower, well, it's gas all wheel drive. But lil Mama would love a rider. Okay, so for the grass. IT DOESNT GROW MUCH AT ALL!! Meaning I am not a slave to cutting it as much as one would with some regular grass. Even after a good rain, it holds it growth. Its very thick and lush, drought tolerant too. AND BIGGIE, Weeds just don't grow here. It pushes them out which is amazing. I have a smaller area of regular grass, and its full of dandylions, crab grass, wire grass and any other weed that finds its way. This Zoysia grass is the best. I had to have a new main sewer line put in...now that the dirt has settled and adding another 50 bags of 40 lbs of soil (FUN STUFF) its nearly spring, I could only find the seeds here on amazon. Praying it will set to seed and blend in with the rest of the lawn., because without much work, my grass-lawn is really beautiful. This is warm seed grass, so don't rush the planting. Best to plant in late spring when the soil is 60 degrees and the nights aren't to cool. Most grass one would plant in the fall, but this is a warm seed grass. Be sure and water each day for weeks, and a fertilizer etc.,
on March 29, 2013
I prepared the soil as instructed, spread the seeds and then watered the lawn three times a day for three weeks. Finally the tiny shoots appeared (along with some weeds) and the seedlings continued to spread and fill in. By fall I had a thick lawn that was weed free. This spring it is greening up and looks to have survived the winter well.

If you don't have patience, this is not the grass for you. But if you do have patience, you'll love its low maintainacce and beauty.
on July 31, 2012
You have a better chance of winning the lottery then getting any of this grass seed to grow.
My husband prepared the soil, planted the seed, watered the seed & not 1 single blade of grass grew. Zip Zero . When I inquired to the company about this they responded to me it is difficult to grow. I say mission impossible! My husband has quite the green thumb & can almost anything to grow so this was very dispointing. They said I could return the unused seed - a moot offer right as the seed was planted - that is why we got it. Nothing to return & nothing to show for it. Seriously save your money as this product is not cheap & look at other options. Lisa
on June 8, 2011
planted seed according to instructions, after 3 weeks of none of the seed germinated. would not recomend this method of plating zosia.