5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable difference in recovery time
I'm relatively new to running and found I would sometimes be sore the next day. My calves would be a little tired feeling after a run. Sometimes there would be shin pain, not splints exactly, but something uncomfortable. I'd read about compression sleeves for the shins as a possible cure and got these hoping they'd do SOME good.

They surpassed my expectations...
Published on December 26, 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Seemed to be working well, then injury
Published 14 months ago by rdrunner

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable difference in recovery time, December 26, 2009

They surpassed my expectations in every way.

I ran this morning and hours later I feel as fresh as if I hadn't run at all. I put the Zensah Compression Leg Sleeves on right after I'm done running and wear them for the rest of the day. I've heard of people sleeping in them, and they're certainly comfortable enough to. I just haven't. My shin pains are gone. My calves are ready to run much more quickly than before. It reduced recovery time dramatically.

I wasn't prepared for how well they would work. I thought maybe I hadn't run as far or as fast but that wasn't the case at all. I'm getting a second pair because I think I'll be able to run more frequently and well, I'm not doing laundry EVERY day and I'll want to wear these more often than I'm willing to wash them. They're machine washable and they dry really quickly hanging to dry. I haven't dried them in the dryer. I'm nervous they'll shrink or I'll ruin them. I'm a convert.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect fit, January 7, 2013
Dominique (South Georgia, USA) - See all my reviews
I use these as varicose vein prevention during my long shifts as a nurse. They leave my legs feeling very good after 12 hours on me feet. Color is vibrant. I have noticed NO fading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasently Surprised!, August 28, 2011
This is a great product! I bought this for shin splints and it will help you a lot more than you think. I also bought the CEP brand and these are better:

The CEP sleeves have more compression, but dont pin point as well and therefore dont prevent the pain as well as the Zensah!
Also the CEP have more space between the fibers of the fabric yet they are still hotter, and the mosquitos can still bite though. The Zensah stops mosquitoes and are much cooler (Temp wise). CEP and Zensah are both great, but for shin splints I can say without a doubt Zensah is better!

5.0 out of 5 stars These work!!!, August 16, 2012
I severly injured the shin muscles in my left leg in 2005 by being a stupid runner. Overuse with no rest days, not properly stretching, not replacing my shoes as I should...

Physical therapy healed me as best as it could, but my shin would still bother me. I gave up running for good in 2008 and switched to "traditional machine" cardio (elliptical, rower, etc.) until last year, when I became tired of icing my leg every day and being in pain. Now I swim and usually don't have shin pain from my workouts. However, if I am on my feet for too long (I stand for a good portion of the day at my job) or go up and down hills or stairs (I lived on the third floor of my apartment building for the last two years; I moved to a ground floor unit two months ago) my shin let me know its displeasure.

I actually had been in slight pain daily ever since the move (I packed most of my things myself and carried many items up and down the steps) and decided to try these sleeves. Even though it's usually only my left leg that bothers me, I figured wearing one on my right leg won't hurt anything.

I've had them a week and WOW what a difference!! No more pain! I put them on after my swimming workout and wear them while I stretch, and then for the next half-hour as I drive home, put away my gym items, and drink my protein shake breakfast. I then put them back on again once I get to work.

I've noticed, first and foremost, my leg doesn't hurt anymore! These have helped more than Advil and ice therapy. I haven't even needed Advil or my ice canister since I've been wearing these. On top of that, my legs feel fresher, and I seem to have more energy and more spring to my step. I bought a second pair so I can keep one in my gym bag and one in my work tote.

They are very comfortable to wear, not hot or itchy at all. I barely even notice they are on. If anything, it feels like my legs are being gently massaged.

I am 5 feet 5 inches tall and wear a size 6 pant, but I have muscular legs. According to the size chart, I was on the border between the x-small/small and the small/medium. I ordered both, and the small/medium size fit, whereas the x-small/small would barely go over my foot and ankle. If you have muscular legs or are on the border between sizes, I would encourage you to go up a size.

If you have any type of shin pain, I highly recommend these! I wish I had discovered them in 2005. They could have saved me years of pain!

3.0 out of 5 stars Seemed to be working well, then injury, June 18, 2013
rdrunner (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
I purchased these compression sleaves a couple months ago due to some pain I was having in my calfs on a regular basis while running. I had never used compression sleeves and figured I would give them a shot. I began wearing them immediately and wore them for 90 percent of my runs. I purchased the large/x-large size and I am 5'11". They extend from just below my knee nearly all the way to my ankle. The compression and fit seem pretty good, but maybe slightly big. Since my calf size and height are right on the edge of the two sizes I opted to go with the bigger size. I would say that the compression did help my calf problem to a degree, but I began to develop another problem just below my achillies tendon on the opposite leg. In my 8 years of running I have never experience an achillies problem and am really unable to identify any other changes in my habits that would have led to this injury other than the compression sleeves. The bottom of each sleeve has a fold in the material and is slightly thicker with a stronger elastic in it. I have a suspision that the extra compression right around my achillies has aggrivated this part of my foot. I'm no expert on the matter but I think the extra elastic and roll of material could be eliminated to provide less compression right around the achillies. I am a veteran of 10 marathons and countless other races. I average 1200-1800 miles per year. I am an experience runner for whatever it's worth. I would recommend this product with a couple of cautions: If you are on the border of a size I would go down instead of up in size and be extremely careful with the area around the achillies. If you begin to feel any discomfort at all stop using the sleeve immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars These work great for runners, especially if you have a calf injury, April 21, 2013
This review is from: Zensah Compression Leg Sleeves (Apparel)
I run about 1200 miles a year and sometimes overdo it. EMS had these on sale for $31.99 just at the same time as I had done a number on my left calf by pounding the treadmill too much at my gym, so I ordered the small/medium size, which was perfect even with my runner's calf. It was painful for me to even walk, but as soon as I put these on I felt instant relief. About a week after my initial injury I was able to complete a 7.5 mile run outdoors with no pain at all thanks to wearing these. Here is why I like them.

1. These are well made and look good. They are just the right length, breathe well, and stay perfectly in place while running--no curling up or sliding down.

2. I have read negative reviews complaining that these don't provide enough compression are are too loose. I vigorously disagree, though I recognize that compression is a matter of preference. I haven't tried the competing CEP brand that a number of reviews mention (and one review points out the problems with the CEP brand), but I do own a pair of compression running tights that I wear in the colder weather and which are a bit tighter than these. But so what? These worked beautifully to support my calf and provided all the compression that I needed.

3. These are easy to put on and take off (unlike my compression running tights), and not so tight that you have to worry about cutting off circulation if you sleep in them and basically wear them nonstop, which I did the first couple of days when my calf really hurt. They easily fit under my dress pants for work, and putting my dress socks over the lower portion did not create any kind of bulge.

Bottom line: If you are a runner, this is a great product for helping to recover from a calf injury.

Update April 23, 2013: These are great even if you don't have an injury. I wore these for a 5 mile run on the treadmill and running never felt so effortless. I was able to run at a higher speed, and didn't suffer the muscle fatigue that often follows a vigorous run. I like these so much I just ordered another pair--I'll use one during the week for running, and the other pair will stay "clean" and I'll wear them after my runs and to go to sleep as needed. Another reviewer is doing the same thing.

Update May 28, 2014: I just bought my third pair to vary the colors and love how these work.

I use the S/M, which is for a calf 12.5"-15" and height 5'4"-5'10".

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe It, It WORKS!, March 25, 2013
I'm in the process of training for my first half-marathon in May. I started training in January and I was running every other day. As I increased my mileage, I noticed my calves were still achy from my last run. There were so many positive (and multiple) reviews for this product that I went ahead and tried it. I can definitely say they helped with my sore legs! My husband thinks it's psychosomatic but whatever these do (mentally or physically) they WORK! I even started to wear them during my runs. It takes a little getting used to when you first put them on but after a few wears, you don't really notice them. They also keep your legs warm! Just remember to measure your calf to order the correct size. I ordered a black pair in size s/m which is for calf sizes 12.5-15" (I am 5'3" and 113lbs w/big calves! 14.5").

3.0 out of 5 stars falls short compared to CEP, March 10, 2012
This review is from: Zensah Compression Leg Sleeves (Apparel)
I am a minimalist style runner (usually run in Vibrams) and I needed something to aid in muscle recovery. I have read the positive aspects of compression sleeves for your calf and wanted to try. I purchased both the Zensah (L/XL) and CEP (IV) based off of my calf size 15.5 inches. The Zensah quality is very nice, smooth material, the seam in the back does not bother your skin. The downside of the Zensah is the sizing, it is not tight enough to offer adequate compression. I plan on using the Zensah for when I travel or when I sleep as I do not think they are tight enough for when I run.
The CEP however is perfect tightness. The material is not as soft as the Zensah but does not irritate your skin. They are a bit tough to get on at first, but like anything (especially Vibrams) you learn the right technique of application. They also seem to be one solid piece, no seam like the Zensah.
If you have an opportunity to try on both at a local store I would recommend doing so, my fit issue may be relative but I will not be purchasing Zensah again because of this.

As far as compression sleeves themselves go, I feel it does help with recovery, in addition to myofascial foam rolling and static stretching after runs. My calf soreness is slowing down and hope to continue my progress.
Best of luck with your purchase and always remember to take care of your muscles and they will take care of you.
Cheers,
Justin

4.0 out of 5 stars Too short but otherwise excellent, April 13, 2013
My calf determined I should be a small/med but it definitely on the short side for me and I am 5'6". Don't get me wrong I frickin love these things. I am a nurse and am on my feet for 12 hours at a time, oh man do they make a difference! I love that they have no feet as well because I have stink foot and this prevents me from having to wash them everyday.

3.0 out of 5 stars not great for inner shin compression, October 15, 2011
This review is from: Zensah Compression Leg Sleeves (Apparel)
Got these because they came in beige and I could wear with own socks. Compression is great on the calf, but that's not my problem. I was looking for compression along ankle to shin. I have a pair of compression socks that feel great, but was looking for a sleeve to alternate. I was on the lower end of S/M and even got the XS/S and even that doesn't feel like good support.

Zensah Compression Leg Sleeves