Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 17, 2009
Wow. I'm sitting here after my second listen, still wondering what just happened. Is it POSSIBLE for someone to be this good, this tasteful, yet also this over-the-top? Jeff Loomis is simply amazing. Why does this album have to end? Please Jeff, PLEASE make some more solo stuff (but not if it means no more "Nevermore"!).
on April 4, 2009
Okay, first of all - I am a guitar player for over 18 years. Raised on Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, etc. Here comes this guy who I never heard of, playing a Schecter (I never touch em - sworn Ibanez devotee) and just tearing down everything in his way. Okay - not just speed - he has clarity and tone. You can hear every note, he annunciates very clearly even at the speed of light. As far as metal guitarists go I don't think anyone can touch him - nobody. And this disturbs me at times because of the Satriani & Vai influences, but damn... Jeff Loomis is just that good. People have said that Chris Broderick (Megadeth) and Jeff Loomis are the new Jason Becker & Marty Friedman. Yes, I would agree, but come on - "Miles of machines" I don't think even Malmsteen could touch that one. Amazing! This whole album is amazing - just wish it were longer/more songs. Jeff Loomis definitely one of my favorites now due to this album.
66 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2016
i've been told jeff loomis' plains of oblivion effort and the conquering dystopia album are both huge improvements on zero order phase, so I'm looking forward to listening to those soon (keep forgetting, too busy).
your enjoyment of zero order phase will mostly hinge on how much you like jeff loomis' riff writing style, melodies with a lot of diminished chord patterns and stuff, guitars guitars guitars, great solos, and heavy metal tone. If any of that sounds good, great, listen to zero order phase. the only real downside i can think of is there's not a whole lot of.... variety, for lack of a better word. If you don't fit in the criteria i described, I'm not sure you'd like this album.
favorite tracks on this disc are Jato Unit and Shouting Fire At a Funeral.
on April 30, 2009
This is a unique album in this genre. Jeff Loomis takes all his guitar skills from Nevermore and puts them in an instrumental work, that is full of rhythm, melody and a complexity not found very often.
There are many instrumental recordings out there, but I don't know of any that is this heavy (let me know if you do).
The songs in this album are complex, and that makes them very interesting to study, but the rhythm sections, melody and soli sections intertwine perfectly and smoothly.
I recommend this album to anyone who appreciates complexity in music, and to instrumental metal fans.
NB
on March 25, 2016
I just found out about this earlier Jeff Loomis album, what more can be said, it's Jeff Loomis ! I have been playing guitar for over 40 years and I still cant't even begin to comprehend the musical ability of Jeff Loomis, adjectives elude me ! In case you didn't know Jeff Loomis was the guitarist for Nevermore for many years and has been touring as a member of the Arch Enemy band these days !
on June 24, 2013
This is really one of the greatest guitar records ever. I have easily listened to this a few hundred times already. I am a guitarst (20+ years) and follow all the greats; Randy, Eddie, Zakk, Dime, Marty, Jason Becker, Hetfield, etc. This one is up there with any of them. The solos are amazing, jaw dropping. But not just technique for the sake of technique. The melodies are amazing. This is now on the list of the most critical guitar records for any metal/rock guitarist to own; Perpetual Burn, Dragons Kiss, Zero Order Phase, and Plains of Oblivion. Zero Order Phase is beyond amazing.
I have a hard time knowing which one I want to listen to, Zero Order Phase or Plains of Oblivion. The rhythm playing is amazing too - the riffs are just sick.
I talked with Jeff about the records and told him that they totally reminded me of Perpetual Burn and Dragons Kiss and that I read that is what he had in mind when he was making them. He really appreciated that and took it as a compliment.
He was sick playing this live, and he was a stellar human being. He gave everybody tons of time and photos and was really available. He was super nice and humble and he didnt have to be. That just makes him that much better.
Beyond amazing. I am a fan for life. While I cant wait for future releases, these will never get old.
btw this is very similar to my review of Plains of Oblivion because they both hit me in very much the same way.
on April 9, 2009
I was a little skeptical when I heard that about this instrumental shred album, because I haven't really been all that into Nevermore. I was not sure if Jeff Loomis really had what it takes to create an original shred album. I was pleasantly surprised after listening to this album. It contains complex melodies, cool riffs, and showcases Loomis' technical mastery of the instrument. I really like his tone, it reminds me of Marty Freidman's tone in Dragon's Kiss. Zero Order Phase not only contains fast tempo songs, but also slower tempo shred, which I really enjoy. I was mostly impressed with the phrasing and scale choice of Jeff's compositions. I love the chromatic runs in one of the riff's in Jato Unit(it is pretty distinct to the trained ear). The arpeggio sweeping at the beginning of Miles of Machines is a melodic treat, on par with the Serrana arpeggios of Jason Becker. The Bach influenced, octave spanning riff (with second guitar on top)toward the end of Devil Theory isn't just shred, it is beautiful music. I am also very impressed with the way each song was layered, and mixed.

The reason I didn't give this album five stars is because I feel like the album doesn't come together as a whole very well. Each song shines in it's own way (some brighter than others) but as a whole it is just lacking a certain synergy or completeness that a 5 star album would have.
on November 25, 2014
possibly his best release i was expecting something a little different but he went way out of his way to make this cd a very good stand alone product for himself the rhythms could have used some help on a few tracks but overall this cd will get my playback award and stay in my rotation of favorite cds for now.
on March 9, 2015
Better than his senior effort but, a little flat as far as tone and overall compositions are the same old stuff (ref. NEVERMORE)... Love Loomis but, he is a little one dimensional compared to a player like Stephan Forte!
on September 25, 2014
Jeff is quite the talented guitarist, but he really needs to fire his sound engineer. There are times when the drums drown out the guitar parts at inopportune times which kills the melody. Otherwise a great Album