5.0 out of 5 stars No one should be this good
Wow. I'm sitting here after my second listen, still wondering what just happened. Is it POSSIBLE for someone to be this good, this tasteful, yet also this over-the-top? Jeff Loomis is simply amazing. Why does this album have to end? Please Jeff, PLEASE make some more solo stuff (but not if it means no more "Nevermore"!).
Published on March 17, 2009 by Jeff Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars guitar playing
While there's some nice guitar soloing going on here, it's really nothing groundbreaking that will change the way you listen to guitar playing. This is just typical Deep Purple and Metallica-like influences, with guitar workouts played at lightning speed (in fact, on one track, there's a noticeable influence of the classic late 70's Rainbow song "The Gates of Babylon"...
Published on February 2, 2009 by B. E Jackson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars No one should be this good, March 17, 2009
Jeff Miller (Elizabethtown, KY United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - really - just too good, April 4, 2009
Ashir Daniel (Schaumburg, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zero Order Phase (Audio CD)
Okay, first of all - I am a guitar player for over 18 years. Raised on Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, etc. Here comes this guy who I never heard of, playing a Schecter (I never touch em - sworn Ibanez devotee) and just tearing down everything in his way. Okay - not just speed - he has clarity and tone. You can hear every note, he annunciates very clearly even at the speed of light. As far as metal guitarists go I don't think anyone can touch him - nobody. And this disturbs me at times because of the Satriani & Vai influences, but damn... Jeff Loomis is just that good. People have said that Chris Broderick (Megadeth) and Jeff Loomis are the new Jason Becker & Marty Friedman. Yes, I would agree, but come on - "Miles of machines" I don't think even Malmsteen could touch that one. Amazing! This whole album is amazing - just wish it were longer/more songs. Jeff Loomis definitely one of my favorites now due to this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive intrumental Prog Metal, April 30, 2009
N. Bock "NB" (Columbus, OH Usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zero Order Phase (Audio CD)
This is a unique album in this genre. Jeff Loomis takes all his guitar skills from Nevermore and puts them in an instrumental work, that is full of rhythm, melody and a complexity not found very often.
There are many instrumental recordings out there, but I don't know of any that is this heavy (let me know if you do).
The songs in this album are complex, and that makes them very interesting to study, but the rhythm sections, melody and soli sections intertwine perfectly and smoothly.
I recommend this album to anyone who appreciates complexity in music, and to instrumental metal fans.
NB

4.0 out of 5 stars Good instrumental album, April 9, 2009
This review is from: Zero Order Phase (Audio CD)
I was a little skeptical when I heard that about this instrumental shred album, because I haven't really been all that into Nevermore. I was not sure if Jeff Loomis really had what it takes to create an original shred album. I was pleasantly surprised after listening to this album. It contains complex melodies, cool riffs, and showcases Loomis' technical mastery of the instrument. I really like his tone, it reminds me of Marty Freidman's tone in Dragon's Kiss. Zero Order Phase not only contains fast tempo songs, but also slower tempo shred, which I really enjoy. I was mostly impressed with the phrasing and scale choice of Jeff's compositions. I love the chromatic runs in one of the riff's in Jato Unit(it is pretty distinct to the trained ear). The arpeggio sweeping at the beginning of Miles of Machines is a melodic treat, on par with the Serrana arpeggios of Jason Becker. The Bach influenced, octave spanning riff (with second guitar on top)toward the end of Devil Theory isn't just shred, it is beautiful music. I am also very impressed with the way each song was layered, and mixed.

The reason I didn't give this album five stars is because I feel like the album doesn't come together as a whole very well. Each song shines in it's own way (some brighter than others) but as a whole it is just lacking a certain synergy or completeness that a 5 star album would have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing., June 28, 2009
This review is from: Zero Order Phase (Audio CD)
This is some really good work by nevermores lead jeff, this album went to my top 25 overnight and if i continue to listen to it as much as i have its going to my top 10 before the end of the year. i would definatly recommend checking out warrel danes solo work too, any fans of nevermore and or my fellow metalheads would appriciate these albums. \m/

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Instrumental Metal Album, June 13, 2010
This review is from: Zero Order Phase (Audio CD)
This is an amazing instrumental metal album from one of the greatest guitarist to have ever lived. In my oppinion Jeff Loomis is metal's very best guitarist, and this album has all of his signature sounds. This instumental piece is different from most guitar driven instrumental albums because the songs are not just a showcase of guitar virtuoso, it showcases Loomis's excelent song writing skills. The songs aren't just out of control solo's. Each bigger, faster, and longer than the last, like many of these sorts of albums. They are real songs that could very well been transformed into songs for the next Nevermore album. The lack of a singer does not take away from the music, it does however showcase an amazing guitarist at work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, March 19, 2009
Metal Queen (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zero Order Phase (Audio CD)
How amazing. I can't even describe the depth. If this is his first solo, he is mile away from so many guitar artists. The guy is unparalleled in arrangement. It has just heaviness, speed, and neo-classical feel to it, to be transported into another realm. I love variety in an album and this takes the prize. Thank you Jeff for sharing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Album, November 7, 2008
This review is from: Zero Order Phase (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of Nevermore (Jeff Loomis' band) forever now, and have always been a fan of guitarists such as Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, etc. This album is just awesome: imagine Nevermore, but without vocals and with more guitars.

One thing I've never liked about those shredder albums is the fact that they can play real good leads, but they such at rythym (creating dumb down riffs that are essentially boring). Well, that's not the case with Jeff's album: his riffs are awesome, strong, to the point, and they don't work just as the background for senseless shredding; they are a display of how Jeff masters the arts of song writing, rythym guitar playing, and shredding.

I can't have enough of this album. Period.

4.0 out of 5 stars Virtuosic shredding "meat and potatoes", though a tad "dull" to me..., February 7, 2009
I. MUNOZ (Montreal, PQ, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zero Order Phase (Audio CD)
You bet Jeff Loomis can play -- oh boy! This album is a total neoclassic shredfest that very probably will please to fans of early Marty Friedman and Jason Becker. No doubt Loomis got the full shredder's bag of chops... and more. He speaks fluently the language of Yngwie, Gilbert, Batio and other fast-guns with his flawless technique and a lot of attitude -- because Loomis also got B4LLS!

However, in spite of his virtuosic abilities, his aggressive taste and some quite melodic ideas too (because Loomis can also play slowly, putting his soul into it), I feel like something is missing anyway. It's weird, because I also like Nevermore a LOT, and many modern metal and thrashy ingredients from Loomis' band are (of course) here. Yet, "Zero Order Phase" is not moving me at all. What's wrong then?

Well... maybe I hear on this album too many things I've heard before, maybe I had big expectations about how far Loomis would push the borders when left to his on devices (and he didn't), maybe the excessive workout-like soloing annoys me at this point, or maybe I just liked too much Steve Smyth's (ex Loomis' partner in crime in Nevermore) "The Esseness Project"... I just don't know...

The fact is, I find the songwriting aspect on this album to be quite weak, or even predictable, and I guess that's where it falls short to my expectations. I mean, maybe a fresh ear not used to listening to early neoclassic Gods would find this album amazingly original, but not me -- and that's a true shame, because again, you bet Loomis CAN play.

So, is this album innovative? Definitively no, it is not... Perhaps its mission was just to refuel the neoclassic shred movement, or to repackage/recycle those ideas and bring them to a younger audience... That's a fair scope and if that was the intention, the mission is 100% accomplished. Production-wise it's a huge success too, so no complains about that.

All that said, I'm not impressed about this release in spite of Loomis' guitar wizardry. I think the album still deserves some spins in your CD player, but at the same time I know it is no more than JASA (just another shred album) -- an excellent JASA, yes, but still just that.

My final score then: Playing: 5 stars. Songwriting: 2 stars. Production values: 5 stars. Overall: 4 stars. So, do not expect a masterpiece, but still go for it if you like technical shredding. You won't be disappointed after all because, once again, you bet Loomis can play!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loomis is Among Us, April 2, 2014
This review is from: Zero Order Phase (Audio CD)
This guy is a huge shredder with an incredible prowess and this offering is no exception. There are enough straight-ahead up-tempo shred pieces to give the listener their fill, plus some slower-paced, spaced-out numbers to give the album depth.

Can't stop playing it. Great album. Tight band.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Zero Order Phase
Zero Order Phase by Jeff Loomis (Audio CD - 2008)
Rate and Discover Movies