Published 22 months ago by DT FAN 4 LIFE

1.0 out of 5 stars Had lock trouble from the start.
When I first got my 560 I noticed the lock bar was at nearly 65%. The lock was also very sticky. It was extremely difficult to unlock. I figured with some break in it would be fine. How wrong I was. I was using my 560 in my garden when I noticed the lock bar was all the way over touching the opposite side. It had somehow worked it's way across the blades lock face and...
Published 19 months ago by Martin J. Ley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenominal Knife, but please read if you have read Victoria's Review!!, September 15, 2012
This review is from: Zero Tolerance ZT0560 Hinderer Design Black Folding Knife (Sports)
I do not know where to begin about the comments (prior comment by a female whose name starts with Vic) about this knife, but with all due-respect I question the thought-process about giving this knife 3 out of 5 stars. This knife won the 'Collaboration of the Year' award at the 2011 Blade Show, as it was designed by Rick Hinderer and ZT. His direct experiences in both rescue and firefighting have given him the practical edge over most other custom knife manufacturers. ZT knives may be "over-built" as you said, but they are built upon extremely high levels of quality and standards using cutting-edge (no pun intended) materials and engineering. If you feel that the knife is over-built, maybe you should have bought something that isn't quite as expensive.

The detent of this knife is fine, so I'm not sure why you are having a difficult time opening the knife. ZT used a unique and proprietary pivot bearing system that allows the 560/561 to open incredibly slick with ZERO blade play. The flipper requires absolutely no wrist motion to open the blade. The new bearing system is referred to as the "KVT" (Kershaw Velocity Technology) and is smooth-as-silk w/o any friction since the blade rides on captured ball bearings in nylon raceways instead of being sandwiched with conventional washers. If you don't want to use the flipper you can always use the thumb studs worn by the blade, but the flipper works so well I don't see why you would want to move-away from such a good thing. The flipper also plays a dual-role in which it is a large integral guard. I am a proud-owner of many ZT knives (including the ZT0560 and 0561) and feel that it is very difficult for your hand to slip over the flipper and get cut.

As for the jimping of the knife (not gimping), the term is defined as, "Small notches or file work cut into the back of a blade or put on the choil or other portions of the knife. Jimping is used to prevent your fingers from sliding when using the knife". I have used the knife heavily for hours with no pain in my thumb. The jimping on this knife is aggressive, but rightfully so given that it is a TACTICAL knife and many users may be LE or military & will be wearing gloves.

The steel is ELMAX...a third-generation powdered metal with a high Vanadium content (3% added to the alloy blend) allowing the blade to reach RC 58-60. This makes the blade almost unbreakable in normal use and the tumbled blade finish is non-reflective (tactical), easy to clean, and speckle-resistant.

I don't feel that it is a fair comparison to compare a "Real-Hinderer" as you put it to the ZT 0560. This knife is a limited-edition, hand-made, PRODUCTION knife whereas the Hinderer XM-18 (which is what the 0560 is based on) is Rick's "signature" knife and is pretty-much always unavailable at any price. If you are one of the lucky few to find an XM-18, I would buy it as Rick is several years behind on orders and the ZT 0560 is nearly identical in shape but has a few innovates of its own. You are comparing a knife (0560) with an MSRP of $325.00 to another knife (Hinderer XM-18) that you cannot find for less than $1200, IF YOU CAN FIND ONE.

I'm not sure about the reference of the famous actor who played Superman, but Chris Reeve did NOT invent the frame lock. Chris Reeve was the pioneer of the Integral Lock©, which is defined as "A folding knife lock, introduced with and popularized by the Sebenza folding knife, where one of the handle slabs is slotted to form a lock bar, which falls into place behind the blade to stop the blade from closing".

The ZT 0560 is one of the best and newest knives to KAI USA's lineup and is a phenomenal combat folding knife which is geared towards the professional adventurer and war fighter.
I am the proud owner of fourteen ZT knives (2 x 0350's, 2 x 0350ST's, 2 x 0301's, 3 x 0350TS's, 1 x 0350TSS, 1 x 0560, 1 x 0561, 1 x 0700, and 1 x 0551). In my opinion, there is not a better quality knife with higher-quality parts, craftsmanship, a lifetime warranty, etc for the money. Their knives are as close to a semi-custom knife that you can get w/o paying the costs of a semi or custom knife. It's also nice knowing that a portion of each knife sale goes to the Paralyzed Veterans of America Heritage Fund.

I hope people have found this review with corrections to a previous "owners" review to be both helpful and useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Knife, October 25, 2012
I purchased the ZT0560 as my 1st Zero Tolerance knife. I have been a huge fan of Kershaw for years now and wanted to step my EDC knife up a notch so I decided to give Kershaw's Zero Tolerance line a try. I mainly chose the 0560 for the weight. For such a large, heavy duty knife, the weight is about 5.8 oz. It may seem like a lot but when you hold it in your hands its pretty impressive. It's very comfortable to carry this knife, it's slim design makes it unnoticeable to me while its in my pocket and I gotta say, ZT's "LowRider" pocket clip it comes with is very very well done, it has good retention and it sits very deep in your pocket. The lockup on this knife is very secure and occurs pretty early during deployment. There is literally no blade play while the knife is open or closed and the while closed, the blade is pretty much dead centered inside the liners. When it comes to comfort, you can disregard the comments of the jimping being too aggressive, it really locks the knife into the hand and also works great while wearing gloves. The large flipper on the knife makes an excellent finger guard when the blade is deployed. The blade comes literally sharp enough to shave with out of the box and of course, after use, you can send the knife back to Kershaw to have the factory edge put back on( all you do is pay shipping to them).

Now the reason I had to give it 4 stars is because when I first got the knife and flipped it open pretty quickly the lock was nearly impossible to release. It stuck to the end of the blade and didn't let go. The harder I deployed the blade, the harder it was to release the lock. Luckily I drive by the Kershaw factory every day on the way to work. I walked into the warranty shop and showed them the problem. They took it into the back and fixed it in about 20 minutes. They said this issue occurred because the lock face was not properly carbadized. They apologized and sent me on my way. Now the lock releases like butter. If I didn't live so close to the factory then this would've been a little bit of a hassle, having to send it back to ZT or exchange it for another one with the seller.

Over all I would totally recommend this knife to a friend, this is the most sturdy knife I've yet to own and I will be carrying it everyday for years to come. The little problem when I first got the knife will not deter me from purchasing other ZT knives. Kershaw has excellent customer service and are willing to help out their customers however they can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust EDC Knife, February 1, 2013
When I first received this knife, I was surprised at how large it is. This is a robust, well-made knife, and is about equal in size to my ZT 0200ST, both of which have blades just shy of 4". The fit and finish is excellent; the blade is centered when closed, and there is no play whatsoever in any direction when locked. The lock itself is solid, and covers a little less than 50%, leaving plenty of room for wear without sacrificing safety. The grip surface is just about perfect, with the 3D relief enough for a good grip in any condition, without being so aggressive as to cause wear on pants pockets. The clip is for "deep carry," keeping the end of the knife about even with the top of the pocket. While some don't care for this, I prefer it because in some environments I don't want it screaming "Knife!" at everyone who notices.

This is a "flipper" knife, with no spring-assist, and it doesn't need one. The blade slides open without any drag, and locks firmly with a somewhat subdued click. Disengaging the lock takes a little effort, most of which has to do with technique in my case, as I tend to use my fingers to hold against the frame as I push with my thumb. While this works fine with a liner-lock, it causes frame-locks to not want to open until I lower my fingers a bit. Once I do that, the effort needed is minimal. Keep in mind, there is no play in the detent which keeps the blade closed. This means as soon as you open it, all drag disappears and it moves freely. If you're not used to this, I would exercise some caution until you become accustomed to it. This is also noteworthy regarding your preferred mode of carry, because if the thumb studs (in tip-up mode) or the flipper lever (tip-down) catches on your pocket, it can pull the blade open as you pull it out. For me, a quick brush against the thumb studs with a fine file minimizes the risk.

The blade sharpens well, and holds an edge surprisingly long. I'm not familiar with "Elmax", and it seems to wear considerably better than S30V, which I have in other knives, and also slightly better than the 154CM steel which is on the 0200ST. I was surprised to discover that the factory edge was close to the 30 degree (inclusive) angle on my Sharpmaker. After stropping, this blade will cut anything from hair to cardboard to wood with little effort or drag.

Overall, this knife is an excellent addition to the "Zero Tolerance" line, and I have no doubt it can take whatever gets thrown at it. If you like large knives, you will find this a dependable EDC companion.

Update: I found that after using the 30 degree edge that the blade would take on a burr that was all but impossible to get rid of. I finally gave up and and changed it to 40 degrees, and after stropping it's again hair-popping sharp, and no burrs no matter what I do with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife, April 13, 2014
I haven't used this knife very much yet, but so far I love it. Amazingly comfortable to grip and looks great too. Very fast and easy flipping system. I think it'll be a great hard use EDC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ZT/Rick Hinderer Collab., August 3, 2013
Excellent ti frame lock. Elmax takes a wicked edge and holds it well. Lock up was tight, absolutely zero blade in any direction. Great ergonomics. Milled titanium is much "grippier" than you'd expect, the g10 side even more so. Knife is light, yet can take abuse well. Easy to deploy with the flipper, or with a little practice, the blade stops, very smoothly I might add. Rides in the pocket well. Word to the wise though, the knife has a much larger "presence" than the specs would lead you to believe. Looks large in the hand, may be intimidating to people not comfortable around knives. Overall as close to perfection as a production knife can get.

4.0 out of 5 stars ZT 0650......Two sides of a Coin...., February 1, 2013
Ive owned and used knives for quite a while now...I really enjoy good sized (3.75" +) folders. I am an admitted knife collector and cherish my collection. On a retired salary, i have to really research and save to buy a good quality folder. I had heard so many good things about the ZT Hinderer 0560 that i watched all the related youtube videos and comments here on Amazon and the knife forums. To be honest, i did see some very negative comments but more positive comments. I just figured that the negative comments could be attributed to a persons individual skill sets or a lack of (or just a defective blade...think Glock 17 Gen 4). So with that I set out to buy my most expensive knife to date... Also, I do think ZT makes some great knives as i also own the 0200 and the 0700.

The price here at Amazon was high so I went searching where i normally do....EBAY! I picked up a "like new" ZT 0560 from a good seller at a decent price. The seller stated no dings, dents or scratches and working order like new out of the box. Man, i couldnt wait to get the 0560. watching the youtube videos again also got me jazzed even more. I also, found myself reading the reviews here again. Within 3 days IT came well packaged and flat out just looked cool. Thats when the nightmare began!!!

I could not deploy the blade using the thumbstuds. When I used the flipper, the blade was very stiff to open so i did the wrist flick to open the blade. Man, the sound of that lock=up is sweet. When I tried to unlock the framelock it would not budge. I used both fingers to try and get it to unlock but it was stuck in place. Finally, I used a screwdriver to pry the framelock loose. About 50 flipper openings later, the framlock issues only got worse. The G10 handle side thumbstud would not budge and i finally got the titanium side thumbstud to partially open the blade. Both my thumbs were killing me ( and im one of those crazy knife luvers that plays with my knives while watchin TV ...well except when my wife is around). So I contacted the Ebay seller. he told me that the thumbstuds were not made to open the knife but are used as a blade stop (really!!!). Also, he said that the 0560 needs to be broken in as it is "machined to rigid specifications". I wrote him back saying no knife is made to not work and I told him that the knife was defective. He repeated that i needed to break it in and sent a thread from a blade forum regarding the latter problems. I told him that the knife was defective and i wanted a replacement. Thats when he went for the "No return Policy" Bottom line, i had to forward a dispute to the Ebay Customer service section. After we (seller and Me) went back and forth, he sent Ebay and myself a blade forum post where a Kai kershaw ZT rep states that many of the problems with the knife are not actually problems but characteristics of a well-made high performance knife includin a strong detente (that was designed that way); thumbstuds that were actually made as a bladestop and a framelock requiring a break-in. I won the dispute as i used a knife reviewer named nutnfancy "0560 video" to show that this knife should come without defects. So Ebay paid for me to ship back to seller and get a refund. By the way...that ZT serial number was right around 2500.

This time I go with an Ebay seller that I have bought from in the past and although he has the 0560 at $260 it also has a "Or best Offer" for a new one. I contacted the seller before making the offer, he remembered me and we discussed my problems with the first 0560. he says all three that he has are working fine and no discernable problems. I make my offer on Ebay and he accepted and I saved some decent money! So now I cant wait for this to come and in three days it arrives. Very well packaged! I wish i had taken a picture of my face when i gently nudged the G10 side thumbstud and that beautiful blade just glided open and the sound of the lock-up...oh yeah!!! (ikno i sound crazy but i probably am but bear with me). This is the way so many folks on here said it would work...both thumbstuds, flipper, so silky smooth. Ok, youre probably thinking...ok so no problems right? Wrong...wth!! The framelock was stiff and got stuck a few times...damn! So when i was watching the youtube videos, one fellow took his apart and used a Sharpie to hit the two places where the blade and framelock meet when the knife is opened. It worked! Now i can enjoy breaking this knife in... Also, I noted that closing the blade with my right hand (G10 scale up) is a little harder than closing the blade with my left hand (titanium side up). Maybe some break-in will help. For your information the serial number on this 0560 is approximately 5000.

I guess as I read all your reviews I actually wound up with two knives that represented both sides of the coin...two different tales (no pun intended). I did spend over $200 dollars to finally get a knife that I had to take apart and use a sharpie to fix the framelock. i guess in my way of thinking, if i pay that much for a knife ..i should just be able to enjoy it. Also, i do have some slight difficulties closing the framelock using my right hand...G10 scale up. I dont have those kind of problems with other framelocks that i own and I have never had to take apart some of my cheaper "beater knives."

Right now my ZT Hinderer 0560 sits in my rt pants pocket and this will stay in my collection forever (the 0560 will outlive me) and will one day be enjoyed by my grandson. I know i will take flak for it but its just my opinion....My benchmade 810 Contego is easier to deploy, about a 4" blade, great handle ergos and grip and is probably my first choice defensive folder and more fun to play with...but thats just me....besides as the saying goes...never take a knife to a gunfight but i say..take a knife with your gun to the gunfight.... When I compare my ZT to my 0200 and 0700, i guess Im a little disappointed because those two are just enjoyable knives. In fact i think of the 0560 as a lean and mean version of the 0200. So , i can say without any second thoughts....it has been an experience buying the ZT 0560..... kma367

I read all the posts including follow=up comments and I can honestly say...i now understand both sides of the coin....

UPDATE.Ok, so my sharpie fix to get rid of the framelock lock-up didnt last. Sent the knife to KAI ZT. Had to box it up and pay postage to send (that sucked) for such an expensive knife. It took about 3 weeks to get back and it was apparent the knife was fine-tuned even the detente (increased). There was still some stickiness with the framelock. it was at that point that i can recall cursing...lol. Howvever, after a week of working with the knife about 200 openings/closings per day, i now see what all the good talk aboutthis knife is...suhweet!!! it is a very sturdy tank of a knife at a decent weight. Blade is very sharp and a very positive feel in hand. A very fine defensive type folder. As i'm watching TV at night, there are now two defensive folders that i enjoy playing with; the 0560 and the benchmade contego both very fine folders with the contego being easier to deploy and close. My grandson will enjoy both one day....

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding knife, January 8, 2013
Amazon Customer (New Market, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This collaboration with Rick Hinderer has produced an outstanding, low riding, very sharp knife. Several people have complained about the sharpness of the jimping on the knife and they are right, the jimping is sharp. It will certainly help with gloved hands, but will be a bit much for bare hands. A nice touch is the chamfered edge on the frame lock release lever, to ease wear and tear when releasing the lock. It may be a bit large for some hands, but if you want a 3 3/4 inch blade, it has to be housed in a larger frame. It's also relatively light weight for it's size and since I only just received it, I am looking forward to testing the durability of the new ELMAX steel that the blade is made of.

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING TACTICAL KNIFE !, December 4, 2012
Sam I AM "Sam I AM" (California United States) - See all my reviews
I have two Strider knives, numerous Benchmade's, Spyderco's, and others which are also great knives.
But, the ZT 560 Hinderer is a most "finely engineered" and "Abram's Tank" rugged tactical knife I have ever purchased that is also an fine art piece!
The opening mechanism is an engineering master piece; not to mention the El Max, 3rd Generation Powdered Steel that holds it's edge like no other knife I have owned. This knife is a beauty and I will pass it on to my son who will pass it on to their kids.
Well worth the "investment!"

5.0 out of 5 stars nice knife, October 15, 2012
knife is very eye pleasing to look at, the jimping can be very sharp but i noticed that its like that from playing with this knife so much! its blade is only 1/4th an inch bigger than my spyderco paramilitary2.after a day or two of breaking in the knife i took it apart and cleaned out all the gunk in the bearings and packed it with marine grease so no dirt or dust can get past the top layer of the grease. now the awesome knife just got that much more speed on deployment...love it!i like how the clip makes a big knife feel small in pocket! sometimes i have to do a pat check to see if its still there.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY nice knife. I am an EMT and Rescue diver, July 11, 2014
VERY nice knife. I am an EMT and Rescue diver. I depend on a good knife everyday. I would trust my life and the lives of those around me on this knife.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›