If the instructions had been clearer, I'd have rated it a five. However, they're not. In order to do a lot of the set-up, you really need to have the thing hooked to your computer. It took me seemingly forever to figure out what I needed to do to set it up so that it'd catch motion to record my cats day and night. Even once you have the right software on your computer, it's not particularly intuitive.

That said, the sucker works! I wish it held its charge better between uses, but overall, it did exactly what I needed it to. We have four cats. One started peeing outside the box. No matter how hard I tried, I could never catch any of them in the act. Knowing that could mean a health issue (and getting seriously ticked off about cleaning up pee four times a day), I needed to know who it was. This spy cam was the most affordable and the most appropriate to my needs.

-It doesn't need to be hooked up to a computer to capture images.
-It works on an internal, rechargeable battery OR plugged into a wall.
-It has a motion sensor (so it doesn't needlessly drain the battery recording a blank wall)
-It has a night mode for low-light environments (like small areas being lit by a night light)
-It has a long enough charge time to record for hours.
-It's small, so easily concealed (my cats are typical cats: insatiably curious, so this was a MUST).

I finally caught the cat in question and was able to get her to the vet to figure out what was going on. She had multiple medical issues. Now I use it when I expect unsupervised visitors to our apartment.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 28, 2014
We recently hired a nanny. On a whim I decided to set this up in our home office where she shouldn't be since the rest of the house is for our baby except for the home office. Found her snooping around in all of our drawers. Needless we are firing her.

I'm going to pick up a few more of these and set them up all around the house. They are so small you can't even tell they are a camera. They look sort of like an old cell phone battery.
on March 10, 2014
I received this on time and in good packaging but I am returning it due to the night videos are very very bad. The daytime video is very good and it looks like a great product so I ordered another in hopes that my unit was just a defective one.

I will update this once the second one arrives and has been tested.

Update 15 March 2014
I received the second camera, which is in some ways better at the low light video but worse at the daylight video.

I really like the size and abilities but the quality needs some work.

Update 27 March 2014

Got a third one and again the low light video was bad. This unit even came with scratches on the plastic casing. I did test the video just in case but this is not viable for the low light recording I need and the daytime video was worse on this unit then the last 2.

Again I really like the features and size but it looks like the quality control is non-existent
After 3 units I will not be getting/using this for my needs.
review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2013
I got this to try and catch the person who was coming into our office while we weren't there. I am not a technology person but this was very easy to set up - download the widget and choose the settings then turn the camera on and place it where you want it. I used the motion detection mode and it picked up quite a bit, like when cars would go by in the parking lot and the headlights would sweep the room. The image was clear provided there was enough light. To view the recordings just connect to your computer with the USB. You will need a memory card for it though.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2014
This is definitly what I was looking for. Most cameras I've found were too big, too expensive, and/or couldn't store memory. I've tried "spy pens" and was sorely disappointed. This little guy here is incredible! It is almost as big as a credit card, but side with the camera lens is only 1.7 x 0.8 inches, so it's easy to hide in various places. The instructions were easy to follow. Mine came with a charger cord for the wall and the car and a USB cord for the PC. To set it up I simply had to connect the camcorder to my PC, download the widget from the website, choose my settings, and press a button to sync everything. I'm literally shocked that I haven't had any issues with it so far. I did a few test runs to see how large the camera angle is and how well it adjusts to light changes. Again, I couldn't be more impressed. You can set it up to start recording when it senses motion, voice, or vibration (or all three). It also has a night/day mode, or you can have it adjust to changes automatically (which, like I said, worked rather well). You can even set it to record right-side-up or upside-down! These are just a few of the main features that I found really useful. I don't intend to use it in the car, so I don't know how well that part works. The video quality is decent for surveillance and you can adjust the quality to save space. It also has audio.

Pros:
-Very small and discrete, not obvious that this is a camera just by looking at it
-VERY simple and easy set up!!
-Decent video/audio quality
-Numerous recording options to choose from

Cons:
None so far!

I would definitely recommend this to others! Might even pick up another one if the price stays right!
on August 2, 2014
I bought one of these cameras to monitor my Mother's room in an assisted living facility. A few items have gone missing out of her room while she has been out.
I was easy to connect the camera to either the charging adapter or the USB cable. I did have a problem with the 64 GB Micro SD card. The card was formatted in exFAT, which was not recognized by the camera. I went to the Zetta web site (www.zetta.com.hk) and found two downloads for the camera. One was the Zetta Configuration Tool. The other as a program called HPUSBDisk.
Using the HPUSBDisk program to reformat the Micro SD card allowed the camera to recognize it. I had the card plugged into the camera and formatted the card that way. The web site warned against using the "Quick" format, so I unchecked that box. It took over three hours to format the entire card. I think it made three passes.
When I tried to download the Zetta Configuration Tool on one of my Windows 7 machines, Norton Anti-Virus kept identifying it a Trojan virus. If you don't want to customize the camera settings, you can go without this program.
The "Quick Start" sheet was a little confusing at first glace. It did not really contain step by step instructions as much as being a reference sheet. There was a section that described the "Status" of the camera but you had to pick from three different configurations: Without DC Adapter, DC Adapter Plugged in & Connected To Computer. In the "Zetta Z16 at a Glance" section, it shows a three position slide switch. You have to turn the instructions over to find out what the different settings do.
I put my camera in the "On-the-GO" setting. It was then motion activated and quit recording 20 seconds after movement stopped.
I set it up on top of a chest of drawers and left it for three days. I had run an extension chord up the back of the chest and plugged in the power adapter. That allowed me to not worry about the battery running out.
After three days, it had recorded 73 separate video files. They varied in length from 20 seconds to over 10 minutes. The camera started recording just a second or two after someone opened the door to the room. That was exactly what I wanted. I did find the picture was a little grainy. I was hoping at the "High" video quality would be a little more clear. If the picture quality had been better, I would have rated this five stars. The sound pickup was very good, It was possible to understand any conversation being held in the field of view.
One concern that I have is that if a thief sees the camera, it would be very simple for them to pick it up and carry it off with them. I set mine up to where only about the top 1/2 inch of the camera shows. I tried to "disguise" it by placing a couple of other items behind and around it. I looked at other "hidden" cameras. Many of them were twice as expensive or were buried inside of a clock. The clock models were either wall mount clocks or small electric desk/alarm clock. This camera seemed to be very acceptable performance for a reasonable price.
on June 19, 2014
I received my Zetta Z16 within just a few days of ordering it and it arrived well packaged and in good condition. The included documentation is very minimal and there is no software included. The programming widget can be downloaded from the Zetta web site.

No microSD card is included. I purchased a 64gig card which according to Zetta requires formatting in a specific manner with software that again can be downloaded from their site. I followed their formatting directions and my class 10 64gig card worked fine.

The camera can be triggered by sound, motion, vibration, or via a user programmed schedule. It can also use a combination of those modes. All but the vibration activation mode constitutes continuous operation which is about 10 hours of use I get from a full battery charge. The vibration activation mode can be left on for up to several weeks depending on how often the camera triggers. I wish the motion activation was more like the game trail cameras with a separate motion sensor. That way it could be used for longer periods in that mode without draining the battery. However I also understand the camera would then likely be significantly larger.

My camera seems to record for a minimum of about 5 minutes after a trigger event activates it. The time it records for each trigger event is not user selectable and cannot be changed. I'd like to see the option to change that in the widget because less than a minute would suite my needs and result in smaller saved video files so more events could be stored on the memory card. The maximum length of the recorded video files can be set via the widget to 10, 15, and 20 minute lengths.

The quality of the video at it highest settings is pretty good as long as there is plenty of light. The video quality degrades significantly in indoor lighting though it is still useful. The 160 degree view is very wide and I would imagine cover most any room. There is some distortion as would be expected from such a wide viewing angle.

Recorded sound quality is much better than I expected though be aware of the potential legal consequences if you record someone on audio without their consent. The microphone can be disabled using the widget software.

I have not used any of the car modes so I cant comment on those features.

Overall I think this is useful camera for surveilling an area for periods of 10 hours or less. My 3 star rating was based on not being able to set the minimal triggered event record duration to less than 5 minutes (its not programmable at all), the mediocre (at best) indoor/low light video quality and I wish it had more standby time in motion trigger mode.

UPDATE (6-22-14): Based on feedback from Spy Tec I upgraded my Z16's firmware from version 1.1.002 to 1.1.003 which became available on Zetta's site a couple of days ago. The new firmware now has my Z16 recording for 2 minutes minimum after the last triggered event rather than the previous 5 minutes as reported in my review. I still wish the duration was user selectable but this firmware update is enough of an improvement for me to change my rating from 3 to 4 stars.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2013
Gave it 5 stars because it reached my expectations. I want a camera that records video in a motion detecting mode so I can capture some of the 4 legged varmits around the back porch at night for curiosity and because I want to record a 2 legged bandit that steals my lawn mower gas and also steals from us when he is over here visiting. Its a relative I know steals from us, he knows we know..... Id just like to present him with some photographic evidence. (screengrabs).

Video quality is not great and Im not sure how it will work in very low light conditions but Im only interested in it working in sorta lit conditions to well lit conditions.

Motion detecting works.

Documentation is poor but there are enough resources on the net and the camera is simple enough for folks to fiqure it out.
on November 19, 2014
Delivery was on time. This camera worked as soon as its battery was charged according to the instruction manual. The only feature that does not work is to disable the led. The sound quality is not so good. Its size is good enough to be hidden. It does not look like a video camera but it does.

It does not have high resolution but it really does the job.
review image
on April 18, 2014
I have tried multiple settings and tested over several days. Shadows and noises will trigger the motion detector and burn up your battery resources fairly quickly with no useful video.

I found that by turning off the vibration and audio detection then setting at low quality and low fpm that the video was still excellent and was fairly consistent with what triggers the recording. The camera still records audio when it is recording video. I can get about 90 minutes of recordings over an 8 hour period on a battery recharge. Still, you have to be careful about sunlight changes or reflections from vehicles or clouds outside a building that will cause it to record.