Zevia All Natural Soda, Cola, 12 Ounce (Pack of 24) Frustration Free Package
Product Packaging: Frustration-Free PackagingChange
Price:$13.18 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I'd been hearing about Zevia and finally got to try some of each flavor. Due to an inability to process sugar (can't "cheat" because I get instantly sick), and headache problems from aspartame and sucralose, I've been unable to drink soda for several years. I figured I'd rather be healthy, feel good, and drink water or tea than have a drink of pop and feel awful, so I abstained.

So I was excited to find Zevia. Zevia is nothing short of wonderful. When I could still drink pop, I'd tried all kinds of artisan types like Jones, Virgil's etc. so it doesn't bother me a bit that it's not a Coke clone (but it's not far off either). It's still got a wonderful, true cola flavor--a fantasia flavor of vanilla, citrus, and cinnamon, like all true colas. Plenty of fizz that lasts the whole can.

As far as aftertaste goes, I've never tasted a soda that didn't have some kind--and that I couldn't get used to. This probably has less aftertaste than anything I've tasted, other than straight cane-sugar. If anything it's a sweet, rather than the usual acidic, aftertaste.

The opinions of the others in my family are similar. My husband, who is very picky when it comes to diet cola, loved it and claimed my second can of it. He's been trying to get away from his diet Coke addiction for a couple of years. My kids loved all the flavors they tried. They're not normally allowed to drink soda at all, and are thrilled there is finally something out there I'll allow them to have once in awhile.

It's selling for about $1 a can, which is less than the other "stevia-supplemented" soda out there (Virgil's is around $2 a bottle). I imagine that as this takes off, that price will come down. And it should take off. It's just as good as the not-so-good-for-you sodas.
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
Zevia Ginger Ale was my first experience with a soda sweetened with the natural sweetner Stevia. As a result of my good experience, I bought a six-pack of Zevia Cola from my local natural foods store. The associate told me they sell out very quickly. I will be purchasing other flavors to try as well.

Taste: 3 stars
- I used to be a huge fan of Diet Coke. There is a definite after-taste created by Stevia, and it will take a little getting used to. However, this is the case for any diet drink. Someone that is not used to diet sodas might not immediately enjoy them. After continuing to drink Zevia, the after taste becomes less noticeable. This soda seems a tad bit sweeter than a regular Coke and not quite a sweet as a Diet Coke. The cola flavor could definitely be stronger.

Calories: 5 stars
- No calories! Can't argue with that.

Ingredients: 5 stars
- It's all natural. If you aren't familiar with Stevia, look it up on your favorite search engine. The sweetner has no calories and is natural, unlike the Aspartame found in a Diet Coke.

Overall Rating: 4 stars
- When it comes to no calories and natural ingredients, I'm willing to accept a slight decrease in taste. That's why I'm giving Zevia Cola 4 stars. Unfortunately in this case, the cola taste is not quite as strong as it should be, and the Stevia seems to overpower the cola flavor.

The only way to know if you'll like it is to give it a try. Amazon sells these for a better price than you will find in stores, but if you want to try it first, you can probably purchase these in smaller quantity at a natural foods store.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2009
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I usually hate diet soda - ones with natural sweeteners, ones with artificial - anything diet. This is the first soda with 0 calories that I have tried and loved! Their root beer flavor is fantastic as well! Don't expect this to taste like Coke or Pepsi though - it is definitely more in line with a cola flavor you would get from Big Sky, Knudsen's or another natural brand. I also like that it has a clean sweet sort of flavor - not a sickly sweet or with any sort of metallic aftertaste you get with other kinds of diet drinks.

The only con I would say is that it is very carbonated - unless you really really like carbonation, I would recommend not drinking this straight from the can - pour it over ice. The positive to this though is that if you don't finish a whole can, you can put it into the fridge and come back later and it is still fizzy. I have left an open one in the fridge with no lid or covering only to come back the next day and find that it was still drinkable and not totally flat.

Great product! Glad Amazon has finally started carrying at least one flavor!
on April 5, 2012
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
Disappointed in this drink. I chose Zevia because I wanted to get away from my diet coke consumption and I love carbonation. Well, no. This isn't the answer.

First off the taste -

I've tried Zevia, Dr. Zevia and the gingerale. All of them have this artificial sweetness that can't be overriden by the different varieties. It's nothing like Diet Coke or Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc. I thought I could get used to it but after a couple of weeks, it's just nauseatingly sweet. The other varieties don't change that.

Second, the ingredients -

This is the listed ingredient list. I have a sensitivity to sugar alcohol (zylitol, splenda (sucralose), etc) so I use stevia in my coffee. No problem. With this drink, I started having gastrointestinal issues common to sugar alcohols. I didn't know what was causing it so I changed some things in my diet to no avail. Then I looked at this ingredient list. Stevia is NOT the primary sweetener. Ingredients are listed by the most prevalent first - erythritol is a sugar alcohol. Um.. no thanks. I wanted a naturally stevia sweetened drink - not another sugar alcohol one.

I feel this company is being dishonest in its product. I've discontinued use of this line of beverages while my system settles down from the sugar alcohol and will not be drinking them again. The taste is inferior and artificial and the ingredients cause me to have problems.

Ingredients
CARBONATED WATER, **ERYTHRITOL**, CARAMEL COLOR, TARTARIC ACID, REB A (STEVIA EXTRACT), FUMARIC ACID, CAFFEINE, LIME OIL, LEMON OIL, NATURAL FLAVORS, CASSIA OIL, NUTMEG OIL.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2008
I am so grateful to Zevia for this product. I couldn't drink anything but water. As a diabetic, no sugar and I have an allergy to 'man-made substitute sugar', probably a very good thing. Coffee and Tea upset my stomach (I'm getting up there in years). And then I stumbled upon the Zevia site. YES!!!

I was already using Stevia (the natural sugar that is actually so harmless it is GOOD for diabetics!! And here was a drink I could actually have and pop! I hadn't had a pop in years!! How absolutely delightful!

I purchased some to try, hoping I would like it, as it turned out I love the taste of it. I cannot do a comparison by taste since I haven't had regular soda's in forever but Zevia Rootbeer is way, way too sweet for me (considering I haven't been able to have granulated sugar). I worried at first that I couldn't have the rootbeer flavor because it like all 'rootbeers' may have licorice root which raises blood pressure...HA! Zevia rootbeer is made with ginger root and tastes exactly as I remembered rootbeer. I have some but keep it for times when I have an upset stomach or dizziness.

I drink the cola and Twist all the time and as yet haven't had a chance to try the Orange, but I'm looking forward to it. Diabetics with a sweet tooth can drink this and it will cut down their craving for sugar.

I drive quite a ways to get it because the shipping is bit steep on the Net but I manage to keep plenty in my pantry. I've become a very big fan of Zevia!!!

I really hope more and more people learn of Zevia and will begin to drink it, because once your health is damaged there may be no return to good health. Life becomes "What if" and "If only". So if you get a chance to try Zevia go for it. To your good health!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2010
Verified Purchase
Faithful customer here! :) I am so happy Zevia exists. I gave up all soda years ago, but honestly... I missed it. Two year ago I learned about Zevia, and have been purchasing it ever since.

Zevia comes in an assortment of flavors that are all quite tasty... natural cola, natural orange, natural ginger-ale, natural root beer, natural black cherry, and natural twist. My favorites are the black cherry, orange, and root beer.

I have never tasted an aftertaste with Zevia. All the flavors are delicious. My favorite things about Zevia are that they are sweetened with all-natural stevia and don't contain any harmful chemicals. Also, I love the fact that there are no calories in it. Truly guilt-free!

The only Zevia flavor I've seen caffeine in is cola. All the others are caffeine-free.

I deducted a star from this product due to the pricey price point of Zevia. I still continue to buy it, but not as often as I would like to due to the cost.

I have emailed the Zevia corporate team and they are responsive, professional, and friendly. I trust this brand.

I hope you give Zevia a try. I think you will be pleased!
on May 17, 2009
I like this soda very well, but it's because I like Erythritol as well as Stevia. There's 12 grams (1 Tablespoon) of sugar alcohol in each can. Strange how they don't tout this in the blurb on the side . . . .
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2010
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging
I thought all hope was lost, when I bought a 24-pack of Virgil's Diet Cola (for $48!), which is sweetened with Stevia. The stuff was AWFUL! I ended up throwing out about 9 of the bottles. I just couldn't take the taste. I tried Zevia, reluctantly. I was expecting another abysmal tasting Stevia-based Cola but I was pleasantly surprised! Zevia is great!

The taste reminds me of Diet Soda from the 1980's a little bit. A little bit medicinal tasting, but very drinkable, and refreshing. All I was asking for, was a Diet Soda that's reasonably drinkable. Well, I found it! I refuse to put Aspartame or Sucralose in my body, so this is a glorious treat.

I suppose the taste could be improved upon slightly, but I'm still very happy with it overall. And the price is great! I paid $2 a piece for that Virgil's garbage. Zevia is $1 a can, about what you'd pay for a Coke out of a vending machine. Not bad at all!
on September 15, 2011
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
This is the worst cola product I've ever tasted. The after-taste is bitter and has a chemical taste. I definitely won't buy this product again.
on April 10, 2009
Verified Purchase
Often times a diet soda has a terrible bitterness because of the artificial sweeteners used. This is actually quite acceptable. Be aware though that Zevia contains Erythritol as well as Stevia, so it's not just Stevia that is sweetening the flavor.

I'll be honest, the flavor is nothing drastically superior to standard diet colas, but it is more the natural method of sweetening that got me to buy this soda as opposed to its flavor. The flavor is subtle, but it's still good. I am going to try their Root Beer flavor next since Root Beer is by far my favorite beverage.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations