Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Zhena's Gypsy Tea Chocolate Chai Tea ( 22 BAG)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Package Quantity: 1|Change
Price:$5.63+ Free shipping (Addon item)

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 3, 2012
I love chocolate and I love tea and it seems only natural to me that the two should be combined into something delicious. Which chocolate tea is the best? I tried four - two loose and two that are pre-packaged in sachets. The four I tried included: Tisano Organic Chocolate Tea,SerendipiTea ChocolaTea, Chocolate, Vanilla, Rooibos & Black Tea, 4-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 2),Mate Chocolatte Tea Bags, and this product - Zhena's Chocolate Chai - Red Herbal Tea. I like aromatic teas that are packed with flavor and are distinctly chocolaty. Based on these points, here is how I ranked these four teas:

The product at hand - Zhena's Chocolate Chai - Red Herbal Tea: If you are in a rush and don't want to fool with loose tea, Zhena's makes good tea. Whether this particular blend can be called "chocolate chai" is debatable in my world. If this were a blind tasting, I would never guess this was intended as a chocolate flavored tea. The first ingredient is cacao powder but than followed by a fairly long list of additional ingredients that seem to cancel out the chocolate. I taste a lot of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. This is a tasty tea but largely absent of chocolate flavoring. This tea would make a great dessert tea as it is caffeine free. I drink it fairly frequently in the evening. It also comes in a tin that can be refilled with other tea, pencils or knick knacks and/or recycled. Ingredients: Cacao powder, rooibos, cinnamon, chirory root roasted, ginger, chocolate flavoring, licorice root, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, shortbread flavoring, orange peel, pepper. This product is about six dollars for a tin with 22 sachets and the product made in the United States.

SerendipiTea ChocolaTea -- This is my second favorite chocolate tea. It is a loose, black tea so it has caffeine. Before brewing, it has a sweet chocolate smell. Both taste and smell are very much influenced by vanilla. While it has a very rich body, I consider it leagues away from the Tisano Cacao Tea Tisano Organic Chocolate Tea in terms of raw chocolate taste. The product is about sixteen dollars for 8 ounces. The user needs about a teaspoon of the tea for a full bodied cup. Steeping time is four to five minutes. Ingredients: chocolate, vanilla, rooibos, black tea. According to the product packaging, this product contains trace amounts of dairy. The product reaches the user in a recyclable box.

Tisano Cacao Tea - This tea trumps all other chocolate inspired teas I have tried. It tastes like a watered down hot chocolate. The tea has a very rich, dark chocolate smell. It is a loose tea so you will need a tea ball or brewing basket (I like the Finum Goldton Filters, Blue and Green.). The steep time is 4-5 minutes. The Tisano Cacao Tea had the smallest number of ingredients - 100% organic cacao shell. The product comes in a small, reusable tin. In terms of cost, expect to pay about fifteen dollars for four ounces. A serving size is three teaspoons per 8 oz cup of water. It is dairy and sugar free and the packaging indicates that it has less caffeine than green tea or decaf coffee. The packaging indicates that this is a product of Venezuela, Peru, Dominican Republic and Ecuador.

Guayaki's Organic Mate Chocolatte - While this produces a decent cup of tea, out of the four I tried, this was my least favorite. This is a pre-packaged tea that is not as chocolate flavored as I had hoped. Other ingredients overshadow the cocoa flavor. There is a fairly strong stevia aftertaste. If you are a yerba fan, this tea might be great for you since there is a subtle hint of cocoa. I will also note there is no dominant chocolate scent. According to the product packaging, a tea bag contains the caffeine equivalent of 1/4 cup of coffee. Because the product comes in tea bags, you don't have to fool with brewing baskets or tea balls. The brew time on this tea is fairly long - about seven minutes for a good cup so you may need to cover your mug to retain heat or accept that you will be drinking a possibly lukewarm cup of tea. This product is about six dollars for 16 tea bags. It can be found at many grocery stores and on third party sites for this price. Ingredients: yerba mate, cocoa, nutmeg, cinnamon, stevia and clove. Each tea bag is individually packaged and all come in a box that can be recycled.

In sum, Zhena's Gypsy tea is good but I think the long list of ingredients cancels out most of the chocolate essence that might be present. If you want a try chocolate tea, go with Tisano Organic Chocolate Tea.
on February 8, 2011
This tea is horrible...it smells and tastes as if it contains some kind of chemical. Their website lists these ingredients: organic Rooibos, blended with...Mediterranean carob and the zest of ginger and cinnamon bark. Chicory and licorice root...it does not mention the "shortbread flavouring" (what the heck is that?) or "chocolate flavouring" that are on the ingredients list on the actual tin of tea. Try the Rishi chocolate chai instead - it is smooth and heavenly.
on March 24, 2016
This is delicious. I think it takes some experimenting to find how to brew it to your own taste. I found that I can't drink this a lot or I get a stomach ache so I limit myself to one cup a day. It truly IS delicious, and I make it 4-6oz boiling water, let it steep for a good 5 mins, and add almond or soy milk, preferably lightly sweetned, just until it's drinkable. Too much water made the taste too weak for me and no creamer seemed to diminish it's flavours. It is definitely worth the buy, just expect to have to try out a few ways of brewing it for your own palate.
on February 22, 2014
Whoever invented this tea is a genius. I'm not a coffee drinker normally, but I like my herbal tea to be a little heartier than many of the fruity/flowery herbal teas. This is just what I hoped for! The ingredient combination is perfect for winter. Love it. It arrived very quickly also. I think you can also get it at Wegman's but this was a good price for me b/c I was buying other things so I had no shipping fee.
on November 4, 2015
I didnt like this tea accidently over brewed and the tea was so weak I was confused. So I added a second tea bag still weak. Good Chai tea has some bite it fills up your mouth and leaves your tongue with a nice buzzy party time feeling. This was like dishwater. As for the chocolate it says its in there but I didnt taste it. This tea is absolute fail. The one plus the tea comes in a pretty can
on November 21, 2015
I really like this tea. It is chocolatey in a real way, not in an artificial way. Really good plain or with honey. There is less chai flavor and more chocolate. My husband thinks when it brews it smells like a boozey coffee, and it does sort of have a Kahluha feel to it. Very good.
on August 20, 2015
This tea is good but not great. I'm spoiled with another chocolate chai tea and it just seems this one doesn't have as much flavor. but for a quick cup of tea it is fine but I'd add extra chai or chocolate to enjoy after a meal.
on March 24, 2015
If you like chai tea try this one. This tea is very rich and fragrant.It is slightly chocolately. Be careful when you open the can the first time though. There is a cloud of spice that comes out. This tea costs a lot more at the grocery store so this is a real value.
on March 3, 2015
I enjoy this flavor of Zhena's teas. I add a pinch of Ceylon cinnamon every time I make one of their teas because overall, I don't think they have as much flavor as I had hoped they would. I do like that Zhena's uses unbleached tea bags.
on April 27, 2011
This is the most heavenly chocolate chai I've tasted. Its also caffeine-free, which is perfect. The red tea gives it a really nice, light finish, and it smells absolutely delicious. I just signed-up for the delivery subscription because I'm so in love with it!