Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on September 21, 2015
I love good tea as I'm sure you do and wanted the convenience of tea bags or "sachets" as they are referred to in the industry.
However, even if you were fortunate enough to be sitting in the Jamaican or Bahama sun and a cluster of fresh coconuts dropped on your head, would you even for a nanosecond think that this tea reminded you of a tropical paradise. Unfortunately, I'm sitting in Philly and I guarantee you in NO way does this tea remind me of ANY of these aromas....No pineapple.....No vanilla...., No coconut...., No rum..... and No flavor whatsoever!

Here is my assessment of this most disappointing "Lush sweet taste from paradise" as the canister exclaims:

PROS:

1. I am trying real hard folks....honest!.... ok.....Attractive gold and yellow canister reminiscent of what's NOT in the can.
2. Round hemp sachets ergonomically-designed to fit the diameter of your mug or cup.
3. Manufacturer claims this product to be organic, fair-trade and kosher.
4. Only 20 MG caffeine per sachet.
5. Canister is worth more than the tea inside and can be used as a spittoon or nice pencil holder for the kids.

CONS:

1. Tea volume is meager compared with other competing brands within the same price parameters. A sip prepared as directed is all that is needed to confirm this.
2. This is nothing more than expensive green tea with an imaginary hint of flavor so subtle that no organism in the animal kingdom would think this was "Coconut Rum" tea. Absolutely no flavor emanating from the can other than the smell of a basic stock green tea.
3. Contains stevia as a sweetener: I'll add my own if I so desire. Tastes artificial and synthetic and compromises both the taste and integrity of any fine tea.....Guess that's why Zhena used this! An unnecessary ingredient that only serves to mask any remnant of flavor or aroma.
4. Product integrity: The tea I received was fresh with a use by date of March 13th, 2018. However, upon opening the can seal, my nose was assaulted by a plume of green tea dust (Please see photos attached to this review) which had been at the bottom of the can. My detective work was unable to find any of the 22 sachets having been compromised. Better quality control necessary.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1. This product is an example of the psychological effect and impact of slick marketing on consumer's purchasing habits. A disappointing tropical journey at best. The only thing that departed on this excursion was the money. Lipton makes better tea. My recommendation for a good flavored tea: Harney & Sons. Avoid purchasing.

2. Deciphering this manufacturer's date code: One of the more resourceful strategies. Notice that there is no stated "Best By" or "Use By" nomenclature on the can-only a date and number. We are supposed to guess what this means. According to the company (which I called), I was informed that the product is good for three (3) years from the date of production. To determine this, you simply subtract 3 years from the can date to determine that the product (in my case), was produced March 13, 2015. Most teas do not use a freshness window more than 1-2 years following the date of manufacture. The bottom row of numbers are production lot/batch/shift numbers.

3. Unfortunately, I also purchased at the same time, another flavor of Zhena's tea which I will sample shortly. This particular flavor however, is a Dodge Dart masquerading as a Mercedes! A Wal-Mart wannabee wearing Dolce & Gabbana. Perhaps my taste journey will set sail for more unexpected vistas! Stay tuned.

To your good health.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on April 12, 2012
This tea is really delecious! It has a deep buttery smell to it and tastes great with sugar. Dont let it brew too long though or itll have a bitter taste to it. One of our favorites for tea partys with my two young daughters. :)
on March 3, 2011
I just love this tea! It has a really unique taste and I love the smooth coconut flavor. If you like coconut then I totally recommend this tea! Amazon has it for a great price as well. It's usually $10 per canister in the grocery store.
on January 25, 2015
I can hardly taste the coconut....I do not find it a very flavorful tea. The coconut is more of an afterthought and I was disappointed because I love coconut and was looking forward to a tasting a 'coconut rum' flavored tea. I would not recommend.
on September 24, 2013
I just would like everyone to know that the 22 count container of this tea is sold for $4.98 at walmart, whereas amazon is charging double. That being said, I like this tea, but it isn't as strong as I would like. It has a really nice flavor, but I find myself needing to use multiple tea bags per cup to get the flavor I would like. It is really yummy with a spoon full of sugar. Yes, like another reviewer said, it is bitter if you leave the tea bag in for too long (even 5 minutes). But other than that, I will probably purchase this again.
on January 28, 2013
I bought some of this tea quite awhile back, tried it, and liked it. However I have A LOT of teas and this one tended to get pushed to the back. Then one day I was looking for something I already owned that I could make into iced tea take for work. I tried it and REALLY liked it. I drop one bag into hot water and the end of lunch then on my last break two hours later I add sweetener and pour it over ice. I like it so much that if I have some left when I get home, I don't dare dump it like I did with other teas : I pour it into a glass to enjoy at home. Coconut and Rum sound odd for tea, but I think it really works. Tip : The directions say to add two bags for iced tea but since I let it steep for quite awhile, I find one bag is just right.
on December 1, 2012
This is my favorite tea. It's not bitter, great over ice or hot. It's not overly caffeinated and really quenches my thirst. The flavors are balanced. I make a pot add some sweetener and my boyfriend drinks half of it ( he's not really a tea guy). If you like these flavors you will like this tea.
on September 5, 2015
awful nutra-sweet, equal aftertaste that completely ruins the other ingredients. why is there stevia in this? I could swear every other tea company is just out to poison us. aren't we all grown up enough to decide if we want our own tea sweetened, and what with? smh..
on April 20, 2014
This is my most favorite tea ever. It's so light and delicious and the cannister helps keep the flavor fresh for months. I am obsessed!
on May 18, 2013
I really enjoy this green tea and when you open the can to grab a bag it smells wonderful, I find myself reaching for this one often.and sending a few bags with friends and family so they can try it.