5.0 out of 5 stars Zhu Zhu Zooming Through My Room!
Published on October 2, 2009 by Patricia D. McCoy

3.0 out of 5 stars not even worth the $8
Published on November 28, 2009 by A. Porshin

5.0 out of 5 stars Zhu Zhu Zooming Through My Room!, October 2, 2009
This review is from: Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow (Toy)
Picked up two of these guys the other day since they happened to be in the store and I happened to be in the store. A little bit of background first: I'm a 26 year-old collector of many things including robotic pets. I've tried out Furbys, Micropets, Neopets, Scoozie pets, Petal-chi, Mutsu, Fureal Friends, and more so I consider myself a bit of an expert on the subject.

To start with, these things eat batteries, have triple A's on hand. Second, I don't have any playsets, I'm just testing the hamsters.

Upon opening and removing this little guy I tried out "cuddle mode", which was a little disappointing. The hamster will lie still and make cute noises every few seconds or so but he isn't really responding to anything. "Try me mode" is when the hamster is off but you can push his nose to hear a random noise, not a lot of fun there. Now play mode, that's where the fun is. The wheels are fast and the grip is really strong, I promptly put it on my boyfriend to see if it would climb up his shirt and it did, hit the back of the couch, made a springy noise and ran back down. Even he cracked up at it. It tackles carpet and all hard surfaces no problem, and makes a ton of different noises, some 40 in all, and each of the four designs sounds unique!. You have to be careful around stairs but all in all it does what it was made to do and cheaply at that. At normal retail they're cheaper than most action figures.

(I got mine at normal retail and I suggest you wait until you can too. If you have kids and can't find them try giving a cute IOU written from the hamster saying how it will come to live with your child after X-mas. They have a guarantee from you, you have a kid who still has something to look forward to after December. All is well.)

Remember these are for ages 3 and up and have motorized parts. It says in the instruction to supervise your child, so do so. Risk is probably minimal but if you have a kid you wouldn't give a RC car to then they're probably too little for these.

So to wrap up

Good: Funny and varied sounds, cheap, cute, runs fast and randomly, fascinates my dog!
Bad: Hard to find (for now), eats batteries, can pinch, can be broken with a moderate impact.

Have a hamster good day!

5.0 out of 5 stars A rodent on wheels, September 27, 2009
This review is from: Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow (Toy)
This was purchased for my daughter. I was afraid it would be one of those toys purchased then set aside. It's funny and makes cute noises, is responsive to being petted, and rolls all over the house.

Still, it is now a dust collector after a month. If only we could convince the child to contribute to her own college fund.... sigh..... anyone want to buy a slightly used rolling hamster???

3.0 out of 5 stars not even worth the $8, November 28, 2009
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow (Toy)
My daughter got this toy a few days ago for her birthday from her aunt who searched the city for it. So far, it has been played with for about 10 minutes total. It just makes some weird noises not even related to a hamster... horn honking, whirling. It gets stuck in corners because it flips on its back. That is where I have found it mostly...in a corner. Not soft enough to sleep in the bed with children. Nor do I think that would be safe. When the wheels turn, they are very fast and strong. The grip would wrap long hair and not let go. Wheels do not turn off with pressure. It think that is where the age recommendation comes in. Rolls on hard floor only, not carpeting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cute little toy, September 26, 2009
This review is from: Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow (Toy)
My daughter has been saving her allowance for the last few weeks hoping to find these and today we stumbled across them at TRU for retail price. For the $10 price tag she's been very entertained this afternoon. The creature makes a variety of chirping, beeping, and random noises as it whirls around. It works much better on a tile, vinyl, or hardwood surface than on carpet. You can either have it in a cuddle type mode where you press its head and it chitters at you or press the back and it'll run around randomly. It's a sweet toy although noisier than I expected. The store clerk said that production is supposed to meet demand in a few weeks as Christmas draws closer. For $10 we're happy, but I'm not sure it's worth 2 or 3 times as much as it is a rather simple toy.

4.0 out of 5 stars My toddler loves her Zhu Zhu!!, October 18, 2009
This review is from: Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow (Toy)
After my 2 year old saw the video of these online she got all excited so I bought her one. I did pay twice retail ($16.00) but I figured that still wasn't bad compared to what they are going for. As soon as it came in the mail she went crazy when she saw him so I opened him and up and at first she was scared of him until she realized he was a toy and would not hurt her. Now she LOVES him! She loves to chase him around on the floor and hold him and make him "talk". For Xmas she is getting the bed, carrier, fun house and ball.

I do watch her with her Zhu Zhu because hair could get wrapped around the wheels so she is never allowed to take him to bed. So if your toddler would put this toy in his/her hair I wouldn't get it for them, if not then give it a try. There are no loose little parts and he has been dropped quite a few times and does just fine. I would definietly recommend these critters.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT Worth It!, November 22, 2009
Workin' Joe (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow (Toy)
With my 5 year-old's insistence in getting this toy for Christmas, I was close to caving-in and paying the inflated on-line price for this product. GLAD I DIDN'T! After considerable time and effort, I was able to purchase a hamster and maze accessory from one of the local retailers at retail price. Feeling somewhat triumphant, I decided to open the toy and see what the hype was about. What a joke! It "beeps," buzzes and hums its way along the floor and through the maze . . . and should be entertaining for about 5 minutes. Coincidentally, my child's enthusiasm over this toy began to fizzle about 1 day after I found it! Glad I didn't blow the whole Christmas budget paying on-line prices for these items! Fortunately, I reserved some funds for Rock-'em, Sock-'em Robots, Hot Wheels sets, and the other tried, tested and true toys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucious-Plush-Fun for a child, November 1, 2009
This review is from: Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow (Toy)
Bought for my 4 year old grandaughter who absolutely loves her Zhu Zhu. It was one of the best gifts I ever bought for any of my grandchildren. I definitely recommend it.

What you see in the ad is what you get. I am considering buying another one for her for Christmas. Believe me, you won't disappoint your grandchild, child, niece, nephew, godchild, whoever you are buying it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for hours!, September 8, 2009
This review is from: Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow (Toy)
I bought a few of these for my daughter and she loves them. She plays on her own for hours and even when she has playdates, these are all they want to play with!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Money, September 6, 2009
This review is from: Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow (Toy)
These toys don't work. They get stuck constantly, the plastic tubes are cheap and break very easily. My child got very frustrated and bored quickly. Don't waste your money. If you must try this, wait until they are at Walmart or Target for $7.

5.0 out of 5 stars These toys are great fun and NOT POISONOUS!, December 14, 2009
This review is from: Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow (Toy)
There are people out there that want you to believe that these toys are poisonous and they are not. The dispute was over the new dark brown zhu zhu hamster and the detection by a third party company of what they claimed was antimony that was poisonous on the new dark brown hamster's fur (the dark brown zhu zhu hamster was the only hamster in question). People check your facts and stop being alarmists!!! The FDA concluded that the third party testing facility used a type of scan that would produce incorrect results that is why no recall. The FDA made Cephia retest the hamsters for poison and even the dark brown one tested fine. I bought these for five different children and the loved them! No one got hurt, but each child was over three years of age (the age recommendation on the packages). They had so much fun building the hamster "habitat" and watching the hamsters "play". Yes, they make different sounds and not ones a hamster would make but who wants to hear high pitch squeaking constantly? I have owned actual hamsters and I've gotta say these toys d act like the real thing without the mess. So those of you saying that these things are dangerous, every toy can be potentially hazardous if you are not careful and odd things with the seemingly safest toys can occur. Bottom line...I love these toys, the kids were absolutely enchanted with the toys and I highly recommend the hamsters and the accessories to everyone age four and over! As for the companies like Amazon selling them at these prices, it's sad. These toys are meant for children and for company's and individuals to gouge children is pathetic! These toys were priced hamsters starting at $[...] and the most expensive individual accessory starting at $[...]) so that every child might have the opportunity to own one but by charging close to a 400% markup on the hamsters is ridiculous! These companies and individuals can still make a buck without the greed.

Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster Pipsqueek - Yellow