Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 6, 2007
Zibra ZPCOPEN-OR Open It Universal Package Opener

After half a century of living, I'm not easily impressed, but I know I will be using this super-handy opener constantly. I received mine yesterday, tried it out on a hard clamshell package of inkjet cartridges, and I am delighted! It was effortless to use on that tough package and I couldn't wait to write a review and let everyone know it works great! I couldn't be more pleased with this universal package opener! I'm going to purchase another to keep in the car to open cd cases and other packages, another for my desk drawer, and several more to give as gifts. With Christmas coming soon, now is a great time to buy this item, especially for anyone with arthritis or fibromyalgia. (I can't imagine being a parent trying to open numerous clamshell packages, one after another!)

If you've ever tried to get a toy out of a package in a hurry while the child waits (think Barbie), or been in a hurry to get an ink cartridge out of a clamshell while the boss or a customer paces while waiting for a printout, or tried to open child proof blister packs of medicine with arthritic hands, then you know why this tool will be handy! It is very well-designed, ergonomic, and effortless to use. It is especially wonderful for anyone with arthritis, fibromyalgia, tendinitis, tennis elbow or carpal tunnel. The package indicates it will cut, snip, slice and unscrew just about any package. Cut it: Hard plastic clamshells, blisters, cardboard, paper; Snip it: Tooy packaging, twist ties, zip ties, straps; Slice it: Boxes, cds, dvds, plastic wraps; Unscrew it: Open battery compartments and more using the interchangeable philips and flat screwdrivers.

It has several safety features including a latch to keep it closed when not in use, and the utility blade feature will automatically retract if you stop pressing and holding the button to keep the blade extended. The package warns to keep it out of the reach of children. (Better yet, don't let them see you use it since kids learn by watching and imitating behaviors.)

I just can't say enough good things about this universal package opener; I give it my highest recommendation without reservation. This is a heavy duty tool designed by women that should serve me well for years to come.
55 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 24, 2007
This is the best product of its type. I have several open-x devices, but this one is much better, particularly when there are wires to be cut. Before I got this, I was using a professional wire cutter for that, but for simple packaging, this works just as well and is easier to keep around in the kitchen drawer without worrying about it.

It has a little blade that pops out, and a safety button to stop it from popping out unexpectedly. It even has a flip out screwdriver for opening battery compartments of children's toys (I guess they make them like that so they can't eat the batteries).

The best feature, however, is the wire cutter at the front. It is offset, so it easily slips behind the toy and cut the wires that bind them to the packaging. It can also cut through the seemingly impervious plastic bubble packs everything seems to be in these days. And, when finished, the handles lock shut for easy storage. Brightly colored so it won't get easily lost, too.

If you have a child waiting not so patiently for you to get the Barbie out of the pack, you'll really appreciate having this around.

I really like this, and highly recommend it!
I hate plastic wraps. I'd love to boycott them, but then I'd be unable to purchase most electronic and photo gear.

Zibra OpenIt! is the practically perfect solution to dealing with plastic wraps and more. It is an all-in-one solution to dealing with modern packaging.

The form factor is relatively large, in the general shape of garden shears. The snipping jaws, which are the heart of the instrument, are thick and cleverly designed. Small enough to allow you to attack any modern plastic wrap, no matter how bizarre the design, while strong enough to slice through any commonly used plastic.

The genius of the product is the provision of the relatively large, spring-loaded handles. You can get more than adequate leverage with only minimal exertion. This makes cutting through any plastic packaging an easy task. What a total delight!

The snips can also be used to easily cut through the wire or plastic wraps used in all too many packages.

Also included is a reversible screwdriver bit for opening the battery compartments on toys. It has both slotted and phillips bits. Be sure to push the bit all the way into its holder to avoid loss.

There is also a handy razor that you can extend from the handle to slice through tape or things like the wrap on CDs and DVDs. It does not appear to be replaceable, which is a minor drawback.

There is also a catch is provided to close the unit and keep the blade closed.

Overall, this is beautifully designed tool that no household should be without.

Jerry
on August 18, 2008
I find amazon.com customer reviews the most helpful on the web, but this is one time I will disagree with the majority. Maybe it depends on how you use it, but I found this item to be cheap and awful.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but it comes with alot of problems:

1. The clippers simply DO NOT work. I tried them on an average plastic packaging (headphones) and not only could they not break the plastic, the clipper edges wouldn't even meet! I was astounded by how bad this was.

2. The cutter is fine - but no better than one for 2 bucks at Home Depot - and the whole unit must be locked up to use it, which is awkward.

3. The item itself is not ergonomic. It is unclear to me why it must be so big, and it did not even fit in a large coffee mug (and I mean LARGE) with some pens as to keep it handy.

Finally, the clippers broke and I threw it out.

I regret this purchase.
55 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2008
We've had the product for two months and were quite happy with it until today when the safety latch broke off. We could see it was pretty weak plastic compared to the rest of the product. Now the blades cannot be locked shut when in storage. Disappointing because we really liked the Open It.
on November 15, 2007
I'm not easily impressed with a lot of products, but I know I will be getting a lot of use out of this super-handy opener. After receiving this product, my husband tried opening one of those stubborn plastic packages! My husband has nerve damage in his right arm and hand, but he could use it with no problem! It was effortless to use on those tough packages! It works great! It is well designed! I have some arthritis in my hand and I couldn't wait to try it! I had no problem using it at all! I couldn't be more pleased with this universal package opener!

I agree with the other review, that with Christmas coming soon, now is a great time to buy this item, especially for anyone with arthritis or fibromyalgia, or any other physical handicap that makes opening packages a chore! I won't go into detail, as the other review says it all!

I also can't say enough good things about this universal package opener; I give it my highest recommendation. This is a heavy duty tool designed by women that should serve anyone well for years to come. It took women to make something that makes sense and actually works! Zibra ZPCOPEN-OR Open It Universal Package Opener
on December 6, 2007
I ordered this after reading reviews on Amazon. I was still a bit skeptical, but was excited to try it nonetheless.

I conveniently had several plastic clamshell packaged items that I had purchased, but had been too frustrated to try to open to test the tool on.

I was thrilled with the results! It quickly and efficiently clipped off the edge of the packages, leaving the contents--including the printed materials insdie--100% intact. I left all of the items in their packages to show my husband when he got home. He was mildly impressed (tough crowd). I, however, am a lifetime fan and will be buying several for Christmas gifts.

Also...mine came black instead of the advertised orange. I consider this a bonus. :)
on December 12, 2008
Well, the concept does work. The clippers themselves work great, except on certain types of clamshell packaging (in my experience, though, the types of packaging this doesn't work on are rare).

However, I'm forced to dock a few stars for a number of reasons:

1) The plastic "locking" mechanism that keeps the clippers in a closed position is flawed. It WILL break. The fastener they use to hold the little bar in simply isn't strong enough. I've remedied this by replacing the original (broken and lost) fastener with a medium sized phillips head screw.

2)The blade is unnecessary and unsafe. The labeling on the device rubs off quickly. I've had three people so far almost stab themselves in the palm because they weren't aware that the little switch on the bottom handle was for an exacto knife. It seems unnecessary to begin with, since I can think of very few situations where you would need this little knife instead of the scissors themselves.

3)The screwdriver is pointless as well. Attempting to twist this behemoth of a tool around as though it actually was a screwdriver is clunky and, again, unnecessary.

It seems that the only reason numbers 2 and 3 exist is for infomercial "IT'S THREE THINGS IN ONE SMALL PACKAGE!" purposes. Honestly, I think the tool would be better without them; if only because having a blade with the sharp end so close to my wrist and only a slip away makes me extremely nervous.

Otherwise, the main product itself works great and saves a ton of time on those annoying clamshell packages. If they'd remove the crappy bonus tools and replace the current closing latch mechanism with a much stronger one, this would be a 5.
on December 6, 2007
I have bought a couple of others and have not been coordinated enough to actually get them to work. This one actually works. It has the retractrable knife, the screwdrivers as well as the huge sheers. It could be dangerous but it does have a safety lock. A very good buy.
on December 1, 2008
I'm sorry to give the Zibra package opener a bad review since it was brought to market to help people with a task no one wants to do in the first place. However, as a product designer myself, I couldn't believe that this company allowed the final product to be sold and marketed.

I take issue with one feature in particular. The razor blade at the end of the handle. The trigger for using this razor looks just like a handle lock on other handheld tools, so users first using this product have a high likelihood of stabbing themselves with a razor blade right in the palm of their hand. Try it.

It looks like during a design review meeting, the marketing deptartment decieded they wanted to add some "value-added features," too bad it turned out to be a really bad decision.

Be careful!