5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who has suffered a loss
Anyone who has suffered a loss, and has felt lost because of it will find comfort and hope in this book. Tom is so generous sharing the raw truth about loss and grieving in this book! He holds nothing back, and in that complete giving, he lets you know that you are not crazy and you are not alone.

This book really surprised me! Who knew that a male could be...
Published on March 10, 2009 by barbidoll31

3.0 out of 5 stars Touching story of love, faith and grief.
Tom Wilson, Jr's beloved father was the creator of the Ziggy cartoon, so Tom grew up feeling like Ziggy was his younger brother. Tom would sit in the basement with his father and create drawings of his own. Tom attended Miami University and fell in love with Susan, a very spiritual woman. Tom and Susan settled into a quiet, stable life and had two boys.

When...
Published on March 27, 2009 by BermudaOnion

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who has suffered a loss, March 10, 2009
This review is from: Zig-Zagging: Loving Madly, Losing Badly... How Ziggy Saved My Life (Hardcover)

This book really surprised me! Who knew that a male could be so thoughtful, insightful, and emotionally aware? I gave one copy to my brother and one copy to my brother-in-law, who both lost their wives in the past year. They are both reading it now and I expect that it will help them in many ways especially because it is written from a man's point of view.

It was also wonderful to learn so many intimate details about the human behind the well-known cartoon character. I've loved Ziggy since I was a teenager and he has given me many smiles throughout the years.

This is a wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Grows Up!, April 1, 2009
Amazon Customer (Gatlinburg, Tennessee USA) - See all my reviews
Be prepared...in this book, you are going to meet an incredible man...a man who has lived the highest highs and climbed back up from the very deepest abyss. If you are expecting a book of Ziggy cartoons, you're going to be disappointed. Oh, there are some sprinkled throughout the book, but only to illustrate a point. I refuse to be a spoiler, and tell you all the details, because I want you to buy the book and discover it for yourself.

Tom Wilson is a man who gets it. You learn that he is a man with a great capacity for love. He is one of the lucky few who has so many people in his life that he not only loves, but that there is a wide-range of people who love him as well. But there is a difference here: Tom IS love. That fact didn't come easily for him, and if anything he fought and resisted in even though he was a part of him the whole time and literally staring him in the face. But he had to go through this amazing journey to learn that. But in the end the result is a ménage a trois between Tom, Ziggy and God; an interesting relationship to say the least.

It's interesting how at the beginning of each chapter Tom takes us on his life's journey represented through a drive along I-71 from Cleveland to Cincinnati. This illustration of how the journey is frequently more important than the destination is a key to what the reader discovers from beginning to end.

There is ample reason to buy this book, and if you want to be truly inspired and moved, here is the story that will do just that.

Ric Morgan is the author of a power-packed, life-changing little book called The Keys: The Textbook to a Successful Life, nominated for a 2009 Pulitzer Prize and two Nautilus Book Awards...http://www.amazon.com/Keys-Textbook-Successful-Life/dp/1438202636/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207241325&sr=8-1

3.0 out of 5 stars Touching story of love, faith and grief., March 27, 2009

When Tom's father became ill, Tom took over drawing the Ziggy cartoon because he felt like no one else knew Ziggy like he does. When Susan was diagnosed with breast cancer, Tom felt like his world was falling apart, yet Susan remained rock steady. Susan fought the cancer for years, but finally succumbed to it and Tom sank into a deep depression.

Zig-Zagging: Loving Madly, Losing Badly. . . How Ziggy Saved My Life by Tom Wilson is the story of Tom's struggle out of the depths of despair. This book is full of raw emotion - anger at God, love for his wife, sorrow for his children having to grow up without their mother. Tom is very honest in sharing his feelings. The love for his late wife is evident throughout. His faith in God is too, yet the book doesn't come across as preachy. This book would be great for someone who is mourning the death of a loved one or the friend of someone who is mourning the death of a loved one. It gave me a deeper understanding of the grieving process. This is one of my favorite passages in the book:

"The real superheroes are the single parents doing their best to raise their kids alone. They're the faithful husbands, the loving mothers, the understanding friends who are always there in the time of need and crisis. These superheroes wear no impenetrable suits, yet they never hesitate to face life's bullets, even thought their only armor consists of the scars from previous battles often fought but not always won. In spite of their human imperfections, or maybe because of them, they never think twice about doing "the right thing," no matter what the odds against them."

3.0 out of 5 stars An honest story of raw emotion, June 15, 2009
I read Michael Lewis's Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood in the same weekend as Zig-Zagging. I don't think there could be takes on family life more completely at opposite ends of the spectrum than these two books.

If you are a fan of HCI's Chicken Soup for the Soul series, which is this book's publisher, you will like Mr. Wilson's book. He is fully expressive about his emotions and feelings. He comes across as an honest and observant man who is grateful for the people in his life, especially his father and his wife, whose death he recounts in this book. He is immensely likeable as a man whose personal crises have granted him a hard-won spiritual outlook on life.

I felt about this book, however, the way I felt about Deanna Favre's Don't Bet against Me!: Beating the Odds Against Breast Cancer and in Life. The events around which Mr. Wilson's book (and Ms. Favre's) revolve go by in a flash; within pages, he gets married, has been married for 20-odd years, his wife is diagnosed and she dies. I felt I knew nothing about his wife, except how much he loved her. We learn more about the woman he dated after her death than we do about her.

Mr. Wilson's father and his wife both come across as saintly but not specific human beings. It's this sketchiness that kept me from sympathizing as fully as I would have liked with this man whose cartoon drawings have amused us for so many years. Still, this is a touching book that would be a comforting read for anyone who has lost a loved one and grappled with overwhelming grief. Calvin Trillin's About Alice is another moving tribute to a beloved spouse.

4.0 out of 5 stars moving!, September 11, 2009
grumpydan (Andover, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
"Zig-zagging: Loving Madly, Losing Badly How Ziggy Saved My Life" by Tom Wilson is as the title states, Ziggy saved Mr. Wilson's life. Mr. Wilson explains how he grew up, taken over the Ziggy cartoon as his father became ill, injuring himself in an accident and loving and losing the losing his wife to cancer. Although having a popular comic strip did not keep from delving deeper and deeper into depression. He discusses his faith, his two sons and surveying the journey life throws our way. Ziggyisms appear thought the book. This is a moving memoir.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Tom., March 15, 2009
12 years ago Tom and Susan wandered into my shop. I fell in love with them as people. Until yesterday I had no idea that Tom Wilson was the man behind some of my favorite commentaries of daily life. After reading his words delivered with eloquence and fine insight into the joys and pains of life I find it might difficult to look at him as just Tom the guy who is really nice and fun to talk to. I am different after this read and feel kind, warm, and blessed to have shared his life through Zig Zagging. Thank you Tom. Peter D.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Heart Breaks, February 6, 2012
This is a great book. It's an insight into the man who holds the pencil to my favorite comic. It's so heartbreaking that his wife died and his father died last year too. Back in 2000 after she died, he dedicated a strip to her (he includes this in this book) and I read it in the paper and cut it out and kept it all these years not knowing the story behind it. To me, it was extremely poignant. But now knowing the story it takes an even more special meaning. What a great story. I feel for him so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational book, January 10, 2012
Well illustrated book of the whys and wherefores of one cartoonist's life and agony of losing someone he truly loved. Heart wrenching at times but informative for those who love life and have gone through the grieving process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read - Ziggy, A Smile for Everyone, May 1, 2009
I finished this book in 2 days! It was much more than I expected - if you aren't laughing, your eyes are tearing up. The book is very well written and an easy read of life including all the little (and big) bumps that come along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zig-zagging, July 20, 2009
Tom, I laughed when you laughed, and cried when you did. You have written a beautiful book on the realities of life, love and loss. Arthur Stanley Katz

Zig-Zagging: Loving Madly, Losing Badly... How Ziggy Saved My Life
Zig-Zagging: Loving Madly, Losing Badly... How Ziggy Saved My Life by Tom Wilson (Hardcover - January 23, 2009)
$17.95 $15.25