on July 26, 2012
As the owner of a legacy e-drumset (Roland TD-10), I've been on the hunt for upgrades without breaking the bank. The older Roland cymbals are good, but my TD-10 module itself does not support the newer cymbals (particularly the new ride and hi-hat cymbals). The Zildjian Gen-16 offerings are perfect if you're in this situation, as they use a separate module. I enjoy the look of the roland silver cymbals, but the silver roland vh-12 hi-hat retails for $799.99! On top of that I would need to upgrade my module which would cost another few thousand dollars. I picked up this set of cymbals for less than the price of the vh-12, let alone the module.
So how do they stack up?
Moderately. Let me explain.
First of all, these cymbals are BEAUTIFUL. Your drumset will take your breath away with one glance after adding these to your arsenal. The platinum silver look with the blue lights shimmering is astonishing. It really looks great.
The sound, largely, is only decent. The crash and ride cymbals have an odd tinny sound to them - they don't have the real punch that Zildjian cymbals normally carry. Note that Zildjian offers a software update, and this REALLY makes the cymbals sound better. The hi-hats, however, sound fantastic. They are truly a godsend to the e-drum market. No electric hats can compare to the Zildjian Gen16's, and that, my friends, is worth the price of admission right there. Nothing on your set is going to be hit as often as the hi-hats, and if you're in the game to do it right you can do no better than with the Zildian Gen16 hats. You just can't duplicate the infinite sound possibilities that occur with two cymbals opening and closing with all the variables of timing and positioning.
Note: I use these in a home studio and not in live situations. I have absolutely zero problems with feedback.
One other note is these cymbals are louder than your rubber counterparts. But they're not even half as loud as a real set of cymbals. They're still quiet enough to not bother my neighbors, but you can hear what's going on in the rest of the house.
So the bottom of the line is this - these cymbals are beautiful, and the hi-hats are nearly perfect. The ride and crash cymbals, however, could use some work. But they sound great when used as alternate cymbals for what you've probably already got mounted on your drumset.
on January 21, 2014
Pros:
- No more thunk! Once you play these, you'll never want to go back to pads.
- Visually they are very attractive, and the blue LED lights under the cymbals are a nice touch.

Neutral:
- Sound coming out of module are tolerable, but not suitable for recording.

Cons:
- Bleed from mic pickups (I know there's a new mic-less pickup, but I resent having to spend more money to fix a problem so soon after release)
- The build quality of the sound module and its mount are amateurish at best. This is definitely not professional quality - I would expect such from a consumer-oriented company like Casio, but from a company like Zildjian it is very disappointing.
- No trigger capabilities: I'd be willing to overlook all of the other shortcomings if they could get this right. There's no USB/MIDI out option to use these as triggers for other cymbal sounds such as those found in Superior Drummer.

This product has amazing potential, but in my opinion it's not there yet. I had my time to go over again I'd have held onto my money until they got it right.
on November 22, 2012
Those cymbals are made for one single purpose, quiet practice. %100 real feel. Compare to plastic pads, not to real cymbals. You also slightly hear clicks of the stick, because cymbals are quiet. Metallic overtones can be muted with the supplied clip on. Module presets sound almost the same to me, or use some weird digital effects. Module is useless, but the pack (with the brain) is about $40 cheaper than buying only the cymbals in the pack, so the module is a savings coupon, a nice light source, and a way to make cymbals feel cheaper (if you believe it's the $400 part of the kit). Cymbals are not for recording (hint - many holes on them), but will work for a demo, or arrangements for band members. Records a decent sound with a pocket camera mike, and will record much better with overhead mikes. Cymbals sound more natural to the player with the isolation headphones (not from the module, acoustic playing). Real drummers/people work their way up has to practice 3-4 hrs. a day, and no family/neighbor can take that unless it's muted. Item works well for the purpose it was made, and covers a need in the market.
on June 29, 2014
Please beware!!!
While I love the look and function of the Gen16 Product, I play them live just about every weekend and they are very brittle. I have broken over 10 cymbals in less then 1 year. They look amazing and sound awesome.... until they crack and split. I purchased mine from Guitar Center and I alone have put their Warwick RI store out of stock due to the returns... I know have to deal with Zildjian directly. So far they have "up graded" my nickel plated set to the new BUFF BRONZE... Just used them for the first time this past weekend and so far so good but I feel I will have the same problem with them breaking/cracking soon. I am NOT a hard hitter by any means and I'm not playing heavy metal but they are meant to be hit with a stick...They should be able to handle the impact. I used them on stage at clubs and weddings and I love them but I feel the technology is just not there yet. I have never had more stress and problems with any drum accessory like I've had with the Gen16s.
If you decide to give them a shot, Make sure you keep your receipt and double check return policies as well as additional protection plans. I paid an additional $80 for 3 years of coverage. Good luck and I hope this was helpful.
.Envytheband. com
on June 7, 2013
First if you are electronic drum owner with more expensive kits from Roland or Yamaha,this is it.You will never go back to rubber cymbals.
Specially guys with Roland mesh pads will be blown away by this Zildjian Gen 16.Now If you have the cash go for it, to buy on credit and not to be able to pay off right away, stay away is too expensive.
Apartment e_drummers not for you, this are still low volume acoustic cymbals sending signal to an electronic module.This is for homeowner e-drummer enthusiast with good high end e-drums,not e-drums toys in $500 price range...
Now Gen 16 Hi-Hat and the DCP module only is worth the price alone.My set up is Roland TDK 11 with upgraded 10" snare.The cost of this GEN 16 set is 3/4 from my Roland ,but is gold added to my experience as a beginner e-drummer.The Roland module&sound is already fantastic ,but the rubber hi hat is not up to par on Roland TD module.GEN 16 is the MISSING LINK and replacement of rubber hi-hat cymbal,pricey, but your own enjoyment and fun has no price after all.On Gen 16 Crash & Ride,not so exited,(rubber pad still OK)too loud for my likeing,but Gen 16 Hi-hat & Module (DCP) only, cost as much as full Amazon set of Hi-Hat,Crash,Ride and module + connection cables .I do not believe acoustic drummers will be excited,they need to bang somthing loud to get noticed and get dizzy, but this is the answer to our e-drums,hi hat problem.And most of the time on drums we spend time on Hi Hat so go figure..Good job Zildjian on par with Roland e-drums owners.

See 1 answered question