Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on August 5, 2004
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. In the tradition of classics like "Whack on the Side of the Head," "Zing!" is not only a fun, easy and interesting read, but if you're in a creative field and dependent on keeping the idea-generating fires stoked, it's just the "break-glass-in-case-of-mind-block" tool you need. Harrison's writing style is smart, savvy and brassy and his tips - appearing in a melange of typefaces and graphic treatments (driving home yet again the creative underpinnings of the book) - are the mental equivalent of standing on your head or putting on chartreuse-colored glasses. You WILL see your stale challenge in a whole different light.
on January 4, 2007
Good book for quick-hitter material. I recommend reading this along with Harrison's other book, IdeaSpotting.
on February 25, 2009
Like a fitness trainer to a lethargic person - ZING pumps up your creative ideation. Easy to read and inspirational on every page. I love the book and found that I have referred to ZING many times.
Jack McManus
on July 3, 2008
There's been a wealth of publications made available that suggest they'll teach you to be more creative. Aha! Zing! a 'Whack', Thunderbolt Thinking....they all have that sudden jolt feel designed to capture the creative moment.

I was disappointed in some ways by this book: I couldn't but help and think of De Bono and his TO LO PO SO GO....a five-step process that encapsulates much of what has been said recently about getting there - whether that be creative thinking or implementing corporate strategy. Understand the TOwards point, LOok around, POssibilities...etc. It's a solid framework but hardly something must of us don't understand intuitively anyway.

While that lack of freshness might be an issue, there's no doubt that the book does offer value if you're coming at this without much in the way of previous training in creativity: suggestions to 'abosrob lots of information', 'see things in new ways', etc are all pretty much the de rigeur recommendations of creativity authors. And, at something like one of those ideas per page, the book can feel a little 'light'.

Still, it's worth reading if you want a solid framework and something that you can dip into as a point of breaking thinking patterns that aren't working. But I was disappointed when I received the book and felt that I'd not received as much as I'd hoped for from this particular book.
on December 11, 2007
Nothing earth shattering here, but a great inspirational guide to have on hand. When you work at an agency, sometimes you forgot to use some of these tools to guide your troops. Great for roadblocks and getting a brainstorm going, I especially love the format, you can literally open this book to any page, read that page, and it could inspire an idea.
on June 16, 2009
I really enjoyed this book. A whole lot. This is a great book that will help spark creativity when you need a little push. Harrison provides us with five steps, and 101 tips as to how to be more creativity, and while the ideas are quite simple, they are really helpful. It is a very easy read, a book that you can finish in a couple of hours. Well worth it. This book is one that you should keep close to your desk, or your nightstand. When you need a bit of a creative spark, pick this book up and read a few pages. You'll definitely get the creative push that you need. You should definitely purchase this book, and it is cheap!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2006
I was so excited to get this book and now that the anticipation is over, I am diving right in. Already I am 24 pages into it and my ideas are flowing off the pages!! This is great for those of you who look for ideas in the same places (which I am guilty of). I have always been really observant of my surroundings and now I have a guide on what to do with those. I highly recommend this to anyone and everyone who struggles to find that spark to get the job done.
on February 12, 2007
GREAT CREATIVE BOOK

I have over 400 in my collection from over 30 years of reading and writing or co-writing similar books.

This is a definite read.

Looks of thought provoking ideas
0Comment10 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2009
Need a new perspective? New ways of thinking? This is the book for you.

Susan Bock
[...]
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2007
I bought this book looking for help bringing out my creativity but it mostly was distracting and impossible to sit down and read for the multitude of font changes, quotes, catch phrases thrown in among the actual useful information. I wasn't able to get through it because of all of the "tips" that make it into more of a daily quote type of book rather than something you can sit down and read. If you removed all of the saying and anecdotes the book would end up about 40 pages.
11 comment6 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse