Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now HTL

• Zink

Format: Audio CDChange

on May 19, 2002
Some Bjork fans may write off Dutch singer Bloem (pronouced "Bloom" meaning "flower" in Dutch) de Ligny simply as a Bjork copy, I'm a HUGE Bjork fan and when I first heard Bloem's voice, I was at first inclined to believe this too. Her voice is comparable (so are her looks), but the music really stands out on it's own.
I heard Fingie Crookie on Bloem's offical website, when I first heard it, I cringed "Oh no, she's trying to sound like Bjork!" but I listened to the whole thing (a couple times) and loved it! "Insanity is lurking around!" I knew I had to have Zink, It's great music. It's hard to pick favorites..
It's a great mix of wackie & playful tunes, that Bloem usually plays on an acoustic guitar, accompanied by drums (played by Martijn Bosmans) , a bass cello, a harpsichord! many interesting sounds!. Some may find the lyrics as odd..but I think the songs are very well written & truly unique. And hard to describe!
Blue Nix- (features a harpsichord) "7 was closer & it has no end I freeze it for now and I follow in blue..nothing as gentle, blue as an icecave, closer than ice, closer than ice...Colder than sorrow, more than you know, I want to believe it, there is nothing as cold....There is nothing as cold as you and an icecave, I touch and you melt down, I touch and you melt down, you don't even know it, how much I want to believe you you are so wrong..."
Fingie Crookie: Starts out with Bloem whispering "Anarchy, anarchy, anarchy... (then the music starts) Via multiple ways I find you are hacking my mind.....I've never had so many voices under my hat!".. But it's not "howdy" all the time that I hear..I'm kinda simple but I don't know where the noises are coming from.. 'Here come the noises!"
at the end we hear a strange recording of people talking, it's switched off and Bloem laughs.
The craziest (in my opinion) is Capsule, which features the voice of Les Claypoole. Les sings "Mean mister molecule is driving his tomato-stick, and I can't find my gun! no! I can't find my gun! He's eating all my vegetables, I wish that I could make him SPLASH!! But I can't find my gun, NO! I can't find my gun!" :-)
There are also quieter..less wackie :-P songs, like Cherubine which is sung to a beautiful tune (which Bloem plays solo on her acoustic guitar) that reminds me of a medieval or renaissance ballad "Smile at the frog, and the sun goes down" :-) I love that part.
Also Cells: filled with warm beats & Bloem resounding "I'm Underwater" while she sings: "Underwater lies my senses, gonna get em the whirl you're nice and kozy...."
And Armage "I want to get my baby done for the day, he's much nicer than I am & quicker than slow to get down to my nylons" :-)
Bloem's voice is great in itself, very versatile & different. It's very enjoyable to listen to.
The way she is able to produce such interesting sounds.
Pirates: Bloem sings " All night, I've been shaking around like a leaflet. Oh my gawd, oh my gawd..... Hold me out and dance with the devil, again again., I get so gawd loose! my gawd, I'm no gawd..Oh cookie, your body is such a sensation!...Oh yes! I'm motivated! I get so....loose!...oh yes!" And she spouts gibberish while strange almost carnival-like music plays.....
Then the atmosphere disolves as the lulling Zink comes on. Filled with oceanic sounds of waves, soft chords and Bloem harmonizing in the background.: "Where do I go with my weary head?..I retreat to a place called Zink, my nostrils shake as I smell the ink & I love it, it is dark but still delicious." :-)
Ice & Angels contains a score with strings and permeates with an etheral feeling.. "Sounds of earthquakes, I'm moosy out in the valley scape.. We are off but it's over here, we should, my "gintay" Sounds of earthquakes, I'm elucid holding out in my trail park, It satisfies me I know...He's a magnet, I'm awakened shivering...I belong with you, I belong with you..
Pink Serenity- A very quiet tune, that Bloem again plays solo on her guitar.."I may be just a moody goon, I mean I am....You make make me so emblematical, you make me complete through any coast any colour..You bring the sun, you bring me pink serenity..Just enter honey I need to have you by me, need to have you beside me, need to have you over me..."
The import price might make people not want to risk the money. But I think if you enjoy Bjork, Bloem's music will grow on you.
Well now I'm a Bloem fan, anxiously looking forward to a second album. And hope the singles become more available to a Yank like me.
on August 13, 2003
Bloem de Ligny has such a unique style that takes you from ice-caves to pirate ships to a medieval courtyard at night all in one swoop. Bloem de Ligny's voice is breathtaking and so many of her songs burst with meaning under the often wacky and fun lyrics. Some songs are more lighthearted, some songs are more solitary. I like them all, but my favorites are "Blue Nix" and "Pirates". To be honest, it took me a while to get into the whole album, but once I did, I was hooked. So beautiful. I have long been a Björk fan and I think that if you can appreciate Björk, you can appreciate Bloem de Ligny's eccentricities as well. Such a beautiful work.
on February 6, 2005
While some write her off as a Björk spinoff because of her similar vocal style, their music really isn't very similar at all except that both artists are uncompromising in their thrilling visions.

Bloem is more acoustic than electronic, but her choices of instruments are utterly mesmerizing and no matter what oddball sentiments she coos or growls, somehow it is thoroughly understandable.

She can be swirling in symphonies, chilling in harpsichords, or sitting alone with her guitar, and all of it is equally mesmerizing through her irrepressible cookiness.

I think the song title "Ice and Angels" is enough to symbolize the essential nature of this album.

It's a shame it's become so very rare to find.
on October 25, 1999
This 12 tracks cd is not something easy to get into... but if you insist a little the reward is great... The voice and way of singing are similar to bjork, while the music is totally different, more trip-hop... some songs remind me of Tori Amos too.. A great great cd from someone who deserves to be more famous
on September 5, 2002
What can I say about Bloem De ligny's album ZINK? I can say alot. Now I wish to address this issue first. Alot of people compare her to Iceland's Bjork, or comment that's she a "Bjork-Wanna-Be" and "looks like her even". I could see how people could be so judgemental, and it is so sad that they could be! I say that the record speaks for itself! After diving to ZINK, I learned that bloem truly has unique style of her own, and all is completely original! I truely believe she has so much talent, and better things to come! I absolutely love every song on that record, and could hardly pick favorites, you must check her out for yourself!
If are interented in learning more about Bloem, visit
[...] - they even have samples of the album! Listen to Ice & Angels, or just listen to all of them!!
on February 14, 2001
Most people compare Bloem De Ligny to Bjork. While their sound is similar I must say that Bloem (prounounced 'Bloom') is going in a somewhat different direction. The music is very addictive and easy to listen to. There is also a guest appearance by Les Claypool on the song "Capsule" but while he doesn't play bass, he lends his vocals. This album is perfect for anyone who loves Bjork's early solo career (Debut & Post) because, like Bjork used to do, Bloem is using more musicians than machines. It is captivating from the opening clavinet intro of "Blue Nix" to the bare guitar and vocals of "Pink Serenity". Definitely worth listening to over and over again.
on August 5, 2007
I ordered this CD from Europe at great expense back in 1998, and it is still one of my favorites. I've been searching and waiting for more from Bloem and finally have found it! She is currently calling herself Serafina and has a 2006 Album "Bathtub" by Fono & Serafina (I haven't been able to find outside of iTunes) and is currently with Polichinelle ([...] I can't find a Polichinelle Album yet, but they have several nice tunes in the website. Note:The 2001 album "Prayer Boat" by Polichinelle that is listed here at Amazon appears to be unrelated to Bloem's current band.
on February 7, 2000
the album is awesome. period. any bjork resemblance is just that, a resemblance. bloem has her own sound that's worthy of one listen, after another and another. i learned in a dutch society and culture class in amsterdam that the dutch believe 'that if you stick your head above the grass, it might get cut off.' bloem needs to risk the blades!
on September 4, 2015
Nice album of this Dutch singer.
on January 8, 2000
Bloem de Ligny guides you, no seduces you into her magical world. Are you worthy? Listen and see what I mean. If you don't fall in love with her check your pulse. A must own CD for progressive/hypnotic music enthusiasts.