Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rust-Oleum 03504 Interior/Exterior Oil Primer Sealer Cover Stain, 1-Quart, White
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 11, 2012
I work with a lot of MDF and this stuff is great to seal mdf and wood. What I've noticed is that even though you can recoat within the hour, you really really need to wait at least 2 days if not 3 in order to sand. If you sand before your finish will not be quite as smooth and your sand paper will clog like you wouldn't believe. Just wait the 2 days for it to cure.
on January 25, 2014
I use this stuff to paint laminate so that i don't have to deal with sanding. It sticks to everything and you can paint over it with latex paint. Just make sure you let it fully cure for a couple of days before painting over it. It will scratch off if it's not fully cured.
on July 25, 2013
This covers up everything, especially nicotine. However the smell is really bad. You'll need a respirator if you're planning on painting indoors.
on March 20, 2015
This is the best primer available. I am an experienced wood worker and home builder. I always used latex primers in the past but after using the Zinsser oil based primer I will no longer use anything else. This product is superior to any latex primer available and worth the inconvenience that oil based primers might pretend to offer. I have used it on decks and windows frames that get beat by the Southern sun and driving rains. It holds up better than any other product. After years of trying other primers I have found the best. Your top coat will last twice as long if you use this primer first. Love this product.
on April 2, 2014
I up cycled my buffet server by changing its color. wanted to skip on sanding, this primer came to the rescue. did 2 coats just to be sure, and it did a great job. with just half a tub i did 2 coats on a big buffet server.
on April 12, 2014
I have used this primer on two projects now. It worked wonderfully on a laminate wood dresser that I converted to a dress up center. I was really worried about finding a primer that works on laminate. I did not do any kind of sanding before priming. I also used it on two wood nightstands, which I did sand before using, and they look great.
on November 2, 2015
I purchased this in my desperate attempt to find the best primer for painting the trim in my house. The "old" trim is oak, stained, 80s. I'm painting them white. I thought that since this was oil based, it would work better than the rustoleum i was using. However, no luck. The primer still scratches off easily.

For those interested, I did find a product that works. Lowes Bonding Primer, 2 coats. I've used that on all my doors and trim with no problem.
on February 26, 2014
Works 100% as advertised. Used it to cover an 80's oak railing in my basement. Nice and thick and pretty easy to move around considering how well it covers. I did degloss beforehand, not sure if that was even necessary but was happy with the results regardless. In the end I would highly recommend this product if going with oil paint and need to cover up staining or dark wood.

I'm not knocking off any stars for this because it is the nature of the beast but please be aware that this has very strong fumes - I've dealt with oil paints/stains before and was still caught a little off guard by it. Also, with oil anything, you're gonna have a bad time with clean up if you're used to water/latex paints, so keep that in mind as well. I wanted to use oil because that is the paint I already had and it also seems to hold up better in high traffic areas, such as a railing...it also seems to lay a bit smoother for me in the end.
on June 20, 2016
I purchased this after reading How To Paint Furniture on the JustAGirl blog. That chick really knows her stuff. I was repainting my bathroom cabinets in lieu of ripping it out and replacing it. I wanted it to look GOOD. This stuff did the trick plus I used Benjamin Moore Super Spec paint which is highly washable which I needed in a bathroom. It's kind of thick once you stir it up but dries fairly quick. I don't know what else to say other than my paint laid very nicely over it. Even my hypercritical father was impressed. I plan on using this for some older furniture I want to revamp and possibly my kitchen cabinets!
on May 8, 2015
This is my go-to paint for priming bare wood on deck where paint has come up and for priming house trim where paint has come off. Regular exterior primer, and paints that have primer in them just have not held up for me.