Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Color: Silver|Change
Price:$12.99+ Free shipping

on January 25, 2011
This is like the third warmer I've had over the years, and I really like this model best. It has very slim lines, but is still a very effective heater. If you only have one of them, you'll be passing it from hand to hand. They're much more effective if they can stay in one spot.

Also, the instructions say that you can't stop it, once it's lit, it has to burn all the way down. WRONG! There are two ways, but this one is easiest: With the heater in its pouch, put it inside a ziplock bag and seal it. If you squeeze most of the air out of the bag before you seal it, the "flame" dies out in a couple of minutes. You don't have to refill it to go again, as long as you haven't used up all the fuel. Cool, huh? I use mine on hour long walks with the dogs, and one refill lasted almost two weeks, by putting it out after a walk.

BTW, you can do the same thing with the little dry chem heaters; just seal it in a ziploc and it will stop the reaction when it runs out of oxygen. You can start it again the next time you need it, as long as it isn't used up.

Oh, and Coleman fuel at $8.88 a GALLON is exactly the same chemical(naptha) as Zippo lighter fluid, for $5-something for 4 OUNCES!
5959 comments|984 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2010
I accidentally stumbled upon this product while browsing through amazon looking for a portable heating solution. This little gadget of a thing turned out to be the perfect item for what i was looking for in a pocket heater. They say it lasts for 12 hours but mine lasted 13 and a half hours on just a few ML of lighter fluid. A few things to keep in mind while using this:

Firstly, if you are sensitive to certain odors this might not be the thing for you since there is a catalytic reaction of fuel burning internally, a weird smell like that of kerosene can be felt. Although the smell is not so prominent but for some people it can get irritating after a while.

Secondly, a carry pouch is included which is really important for safe usage of this device! Due to the all metal surface, the device gets so hot that it could burn your hand in seconds, so the pouch helps you use it more like a "HAND WARMER" rather than a "HEATER" which it can also work as provided you are careful with it. Another important function of the pouch is regulate the oxygen flow to the device so that the fuel does not just burn off before the expected time. In my field testing while using the device as a "HEATER" that is without the pouch, i noticed the device got extremely hot and the fuel burn time was a little over 5 1/2 hours after topping it off. On the other hand, i used it outdoors at night in the rain while immersed in its pouch and the heat lasted for a little over 13 hours. i put it in an internal pocket inside my jacket and within half an hour my whole jacket felt nice and toasty!

One of the reviewers was complaining that it did not get hot enough for outdoor activities where there was snow. The solution for that is quite simple! Everyone who owns a thermos knows that the best way to keep beverages piping hot is to preheat with hot water. Apply the same formula here but without the pouch. The Metallic surface on the Hand Warmer needs to reach a certain temperature for it start radiating heat in other directions. If the temperature itself is controlled from the beginning by limiting the oxygen flow, it cannot reach the heating point where the excess heat can be released as warmth. I suggest that after turning it on to leave it standing without its pouch for at least an hour. That should do the trick.

I'm going to further test it in other environments and then post another update. For now, i simply love it!!
review image review image review image
1010 comments|518 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2011
I've read most of, if not all, of the Amazon reviews on this product. I've also read most of the reviews from other websites and magazines. I decided to purchase this warmer because I am a cheap person. I don't like disposable things, especially expensive disposable, wasteful hand warmers. I was a little bit hesitant about taking every thing I read at face value. Well, upon receiving it, this hand warmer has exceeded my expectations in every way that I've read.

First off, I've read countless times that this hand warmer is so hot that without the bag, it is impossible to hold because it is so hot. TRUE. Right out of the box I was skeptical because it wasn't running very hot. The instructions say to run the first cycle with twice the measured fuel. Well I guess it took about three use cycles to break in the catalytic burner head, because now all of my skepticism is completely gone because this thing runs HOT. When you leave it out of its little baggy (for a couple of minutes to let it warm up to the increased Oxygen) it is very uncomfortable to place against any part of your body or face. Just like touching a hot pan. You can only hold it in your hand for about 5 seconds before you have to drop it. Unfortunately, when you put it in its little baggy, it barely feels warm. Again, I was originally skeptical about this claim, and I was anticipating that the reports were exaggerated or posted by people with low tolerances for heat. I have a pretty high spot tolerance for heat, and I am still suffering from the immense heat of this warmer. This also won't happen on the first light-up, like I assume most negative reviewers assumed. It will take probably about 30 hours of continuous burning before the catalytic head is broken in, and then every time you light it up afterwards, it will heat up to this temperature in very little time. Less than five minutes. If you leave the warmer out of baggy for about an hour, then it will be completely intolerable to touch. You can't even pick it up without your brain immediately telling your fingers to let go as a natural reflex.

Fortunately, when you place it in a pocket, without the bag, it is exposed to limited oxygen so it burns at the exact perfect temperature. Still very hot to the touch, and your friends will be impressed at how much hotter it is than those heavy disposable things. But it is also not to hot that you can't hold it in your hand indefinitely. For most of the time you're using this device, it will be inside an article of clothing like a jacket pocket, shirt pocket (this is the winner here) or even glove (kind of bulky but it gets the job done). This keeps it at the perfect temperature. No need to worry about it being too hot or too cold.

It is also impressive how long this hand warmer lasts on a single filling. Obviously, the less oxygen it gets, the longer it lasts on a single filling. I haven't done any timing specifically, but I can tell you that when I fill it up (I don't use that plastic cup, I just fill the thing directly until it looks like the rayon batting is saturated) it lasts for about a full day. Using the cup at full, I typically will get well over 12 hours. Probably around 15 hours. In case you were wondering, the whole bottom of the hand warmer is NOT the fuel container. It is actually a much smaller reservoir that is simply set inside very tightly. It is not removable without special tools as I believe there is some heat resistant adhesive holding it in place. The actual fuel reserve is probably about 2-3x the size of a simple zippo lighter's reserve.

The lighter does have a pretty strong petroleum smell that can be smelled within about 6" of the lighter. This is amplified by putting it in the little baggy, which I assume holds the odor like a sponge. Without the bag the smell is only about 2" away from the lighter. If it's inside of a pocket of a jacket, I'm sure it won't be a problem for most casual hunters or bird watchers.

Yes, lighting this warmer can be difficult. Not actually difficult, but just time-consuming. I usually hold it upside down over my Zippo for ten seconds even. This almost universally gets it going. I've found that the longer you leave the lighter on, the faster the warmer will heat up because you get more of the burner head catalyzing. A good solid rule of thumb is that if you actually light up the burner so long that it has its own self sustaining flame, put out the flame and you're good to go. You don't actually need to see the flame to get it going, however, and I'm not sure of the consequences of this action as far as the health of the burner is concerned. After you use the burner for a while, it gets easier to light up, so again, don't be dissuaded by the first lighting attempt. Another thing, if the warmer is really cold it sometimes helps to hold the whole bottom half of the warmer over the flame for ten to twenty seconds to warm it up. This burner relies on its own heat to vaporize the fuel to continue the reaction, so the hotter the fuel container is, the faster it will light up, and the hotter it will burn.

The plastic cup is rubbish. It's like a siphon thing and you can't control it very well, so it overfills way to quickly, and you end up getting half your fuel all over your hand and the warmer, rather than IN the warmer. I lost all the hairs on my left hand doing this... Now I just pour the fuel right from the can (or the Ronsonol bottle, or with a funnel from a small bottle of White Gas like Coleman Fuel, which is naphtha, exactly the same stuff as the Ronsonol fuel, and similar to the Zippo fuel, but at $8/gallon, vs $6/12oz.). When you see the rayon balls get soaked, then you know you have about "12 hours" of fuel, so like 15 hours and counting. Using this method, you can fill the warmer up to the top, and to well over a full day of heat OUTSIDE of the baggy! The only adverse affects of filling it THAT full that I have found so far is that if you can actually see large amounts of liquid (rather than just soaked rayon balls) then burn off the first 5-7 seconds of fuel until you can't see a layer of fluid on top of the rayon batting, otherwise it will be too wet, and directly put out the burner head by soaking it if you tip the warmer over. (Note that the fuel still won't spill OUT of the warmer, which is good, so you can transport it with extra fuel).

There is no actual flame, so you can safely place it on a carpet or in your pocket without any risks of open flame or whatnot. It doesn't even get close to the temperature of an open flame, so it's really safe, just as safe as the disposable Hot Hands warmers. There is no flame or even embers or sparks, so you can't even light a gas stove with the lit hand warmer, just to tell you how safe it is. That's not to say that I would recommend this in any potentially hazardous or explosion danger situation or area like areas marked "NO SMOKING WITHIN 100 FT." At least not if the burner is exposed to air, and not tucked nicely into a glove or pocket like it should be. Better to be safe than sorry.

That said, the reaction can be stopped, easily, in multiple ways. 1. For immediate emergency OFF, douse the burner head in water or other liquid. This will take the heating right out of the warmer. The easiest way, I have found, is to place the warmer in a small Zip Lock bag and wait for about three to five minutes to starve of oxygen. The best way I think is to simply remove the catalytic heating head with your finger nails or the edge of the warmer cap and let it sit for about 30 seconds. Then you can light the thing right back up again when the need strikes you.

On that note, I will leave you, my fine Amazonians, to purchase this amazing product and test it for yourself. Please feel free to leave any comments with questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Esteban Valle
55 comments|359 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2011
Here are some easy steps to lighting the Zippo Hand Warmer:

1. Remove top piece and the catalytic burner cap.
2. Fill with lighter fluid until white insert is saturated (about 2 oz. normally).
3. Replace catalytic cap and dab a couple of drops of the fluid on top of burner cap.
4. Immediately light the cap and wait a few moments until the flame burns off.
5. Place the top piece back on and you're set to enjoy some heat!

Hope that saves people the experimentation it took me...
33 comments|163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2011
In our society of disposable goods, it is great to own a product that works and when you are finished using it, you put it back on the shelf and not in the trash.

I have had various zippo hand warmers over the past 30 years, and they all worked great. As always, please follow the filling and lighting instructions, keep them clean and use only top quality fluid, and you will have these for years and years.

For people who have never owned a device of this type, it requires oxygen to work - just like a "hot hands" or similar. Once activated (there is no open flame BTW), you place it in the cloth sack provided to insulate it from being too hot against your body, and tuck it in a loose pocket where it can breathe. I frequently use these in cold weather camping. While around camp, one works good in a shirt pocket or interior coat pocket spreading warmth near your body. While hiking or exploring away from camp, keeping one (or two) handy in an exterior coat pocket make for quick access to warm cold hands or cheeks. Laying one on your chest (or your backside) in the sleeping bag will get you warm and toasty. I leave it at the opening of my sleeping bag while I sleep to keep the cold air from seeping in and keeping the hand-warmer from starving for air so it will be working to help the morning ritual of getting dressed in a cold tent.

Some guys will leave them in their boots at night to dry the boot and make it nice and warm for cold feet in the AM. My wife slides them in her gloves when camping before she puts the gloves on to get a little warmth.

Filled completely with lighter fluid, these things create heat for well over 12 hours!! Start them up in the cool evening air, keep it handy all night, and wake with it to get you going in the morning.

I bought a new pair for my family, but I still use the pair my father bought in the 70's and passed along to me. When I get a whiff of lighter fluid these days, it makes me think of camping with my family and the good times camping and hunting with my father.
on November 16, 2012
I have used many different types of hand warmers before and I must say that this is the best, in terms of performance, hand warmer that I have ever used! I'll go ahead and just list pros and cons, since that is the clearest way for other buyers to decide whether or not this hand warmer is for them.

Pros:
1. Hot: Gets hot, very hot..to the point of not being able to keep it on your bare hands without gloves on or without the accompanied pouch.

2. Duration: Lasts for a very long time, at least 14 hours so far for me (on a 1 cup fill). The hand warmer works through an oxidization process, therefore the more oxygen you're exposing the catalyst to, the hotter the unit will get and the quicker it will consume fuel. If you keep it inside its pouch or inside your pocket, I am sure you can get it to stay warm for around 20 or so hours. Note that it will stay at its full intensity for the ENTIRE time. It does not get hot for a few hours and then tapers off.

3. Re-usability: Simply refill the hand warmer with lighter fluid, I use Zippo, and it is instantly reusable again. I have a bunch of the "snap to activate" hand warmers around the house and although they are reusable, it's too much hassle to have to boil them before each use. I love how simple it is to "recharge" the Zippo hand warmer.

That's about it for the positives. When I look for a hand warmer, all I care about is if it gets hot enough and how long it will maintain that heat for. This hand warmer beats the competition in both these categories, which is why it deserves 5 stars in my book. Is it perfect? Probably not, but I haven't found anything better out there yet.

Cons:
1. Inconvenience: Requires a direct flame to "activate." Unlike instant hand warmers and those reusable "snap to activate" kinds, this Zippo hand warmer requires a direct flame on the catalyst for a good 10 seconds or more. This is a negative because it is not self-activating, therefore you have to carry a lighter, a match or something to get the hand warmer going.

2. Odor: Has a very faint lighter fluid smell because it uses lighter fluid to stay warm. Again, it is very very faint and chances are you wont smell it unless you put your nose right up to it. However, I just thought that consumers need to know that it is NOT odorless. I use Zippo's lighter fluid so you may have a different experience depending on what you use.

3. Safety: This hand warmer uses lighter fluid and requires a direct flame to use. Therefore, you must take precautions when using this product and be careful if you ever let children use it. I have had NO problems with mine whatsoever, but it does run VERY hot so if you happen to touch the part of the catalyst that is red-hot, you may burn yourself.

Notes & Tips:

Shutting off the hand warmer: Although the instructions say that you cannot turn the hand warmer off once it's on, you definitely CAN do so! There are 2 ways that I know to do this. First method, simply pop the catalyst off and the hand warmer will turn off and start to cool down. This method may be a bit more dangerous since the catalyst is literally RED-HOT while the hand warmer is working. Second method, put the hand warmer in its pouch then put it inside a ziploc bag, squeeze out as much air as possible from the ziploc bag and seal it up. Since the hand warmer stays activated by consuming oxygen, like a flame, you can put it out by cutting off its oxygen supply, in this case a sealed ziploc bag. You can also put it in anything that is air-tight and it should work too.

Filling/refilling the hand warmer: It takes a little bit of patience to fill up the hand warmer with lighter fluid. However, there is a correct and incorrect way to do so. To correctly fill the hand warmer, make sure that you are PRESSING THE NOZZLE of either the included filling cup or straight from the lighter fluid bottle directly ONTO the cotton (so that the nozzle and the cotton ball makes direct contact." DO NOT "pour" the fluid in as if you're pouring it into a cup, the cotton will not soak up the fluid quickly enough and you will spill lighter fluid everywhere.

To speed up the heating process of the hand warmer: Is yours taking forever to heat up? After you apply direct flame over the catalyst and confirm that the hand warmer is indeed activated (you can tell by the catalyst glowing slightly red), keep the hand warmer uncovered for about 10 minutes. This will supply the catalyst with more oxygen and therefore speed up the warming up process. You can also blow on the catalyst LIGHTLY to supply it with oxygen this way. Once the hand warmer gets hot enough, you can put the lid on and then finally inside its pouch or gloves or where ever you'd prefer.

Edit:
Sadly to say, I have taken 1 star off after a period of use. The reason? Reliability. The catalyst burner is not a very tight fit and therefore CAN fall off and the hand warmer WILL TURN OFF once the catalyst falls off. Any activity that causes the hand warmer to bounce around will knock the catalyst burner off. For example, if you're snowboarding, jogging or whatever, chances are the burner will come off and the hand warmer will turn off until you re-lit the catalyst again. This is a very big issue for me since I usually need the hand warmer when I do outside activities during the winter and it sucks to have to always carry a lighter or something to relight the burner if it happens to fall off.
on January 9, 2014
I kept this product in my wish list for quite some time and it stayed there for months due to my reluctance to purchase it.

I read many reviews saying the fuel was expensive, the catalytic burner was loose fitting, and it was hard to light. For these reasons I began to look elsewhere but always kept coming back to this item.

I decided to just go ahead and purchase one along with two replacement burners and a 12oz can of Zippo lighter fuel. The first thing I noticed was how large this thing is. The picture makes it look like the size of a Zippo lighter but it's probably 3 times the size.

For my first use I used the included measuring cup and filled it up to the 12 hour mark. From my experience I would suggest just filling the Hand Warmer up straight from the lighter can. It's less messy that way.

Lighting the hand warmer was also pretty easy. I held a flame to both sides of the burner for 10 seconds on each side. I turned off the lights just to make sure I could see the orange glow then put the top cover on and placed it in the felt pouch. You can put this in your pockets or under bed covers and this thing will still burn.

I have always heard of people saying this is great for cold outdoor weather but it's also great if indoor temperatures are too cold for your comfort. I appreciate it's ability to give me some added warmth in some cold auditorium classrooms I have to sit in.

Unless your face is practically touching the hand warmer you and others around you won't notice any odors from the fuel. That's an attribute of any naptha fuel. It's burns hot with low odor so don't worry about using this indoors around others.

This hand warmer also burns for hours. I never went to great lengths to measure the burn time but it easily burns for 12 hours. I noticed that the less access the hand warmer had to oxygen the longer it burned.

When using this product place it in a pocket. Don't take it out to warm your hands. Too much heat will be lost to the cold environment that you won't benefit as much. Place and keep the hand warmer in a pocket close to your body that is shielded from the wind to maximize your results. Don't worry about the hand warmer burning out, it won't and you'll be thankful for it.

If I want to turn the hand warmer off I just pull the burner off real quick and let it cool on a stone surface. I recommend you suffocate the hand warmer in tupperware because you don't want to risk a burn.

I've heard that you can buy Coleman lantern fuel very cheaply but Amazon doesn't seem to sell it for the price that others have mentioned. I'll check Walmart or Academy to see if I can find a cheaper source of fuel. Even when you take into account the fuel cost and the cost of the replacement burners this thing still cheaper than what you'll pay for disposable chemical hand warmers.

I have already placed an order for another Zippo Hand Warmer. I think people have a point when they say it's best to have a separate hand warmer for each hand in the cold.

Update 1: So I went to Academy and bought a 32oz bottle of Coleman naptha fuel for $6 which is great compared to the $8.50 I was paying for 12oz bottles of Zippo lighter fluid. This fuel seems to have less of an odor than Zippo lighter fluid. I've tried Coleman, Zippo, and Ronsonol.

I think Ronsonol has the least amount of odor while Coleman is by far the cheapest. All fuels seem to burn the same. I filled the hand warmer to the top of the cotton wadding and I have been seeing burn times over 25 hours. I understand some people new to these types of hand warmers will see the fuel cost as a turnoff but when you experience the burn time as long as these you'll see that chemical hand warmers don't come close in terms of heat output or time.

The only thing I don't like is that the felt pouch seems too thick so I find it insulates the hand warmer to much. I think I might make my own cotton pouch to reduce the insulation of the included pouch.

Update 2.) Ok so I found that you SHOULDN'T light the burner with a match and I also wouldn't lighter the burner with a Zippo Lighter. I used both of these and thought nothing of it but it seems like you need a blue flame because it doesn't dump sut on the catalytic burner. If you use matches or a Zippo the flame will be orange and cause your burner to turn black with sut buildup. You don't want this. I learned the hard way and had to replace the burner early because I ruined it this way.

I now use a cheap Bic lighter and only use the blue part of the flame to light the catalytic burner. It maintains the shiny chrome finish on the burner but more importantly keeps the catalytic mesh material clean. Please please please don't repeat my mistake. I wasted an $8.00 burner when I didn't have to. Bic lighters are cheap as hell and while a torch lighter might work as well because of the blue flame I don't own one so I can't be sure.

I also know that regular Zippo lighters have a blue flame but the wind guard obstructs it so I went with a Bic because its blue flame is exposed. I spent $2.00 on a 2 pack of Bic lighters and I am happy with them. It would be great if Zippo lighters worked but I'm not that phased by it.

When lighting the hand warmer with a blue flame you may not notice all 6 holes lighting up into an orange ember. That's fine, and normal.

Put the lighter aside with the lower half of the hand warmer in the felt pouch and just leave the chrome top of the handwarmer off and leave the burner exposed to the air.

After about 10 minutes of being exposed all 6 holes should be bright orange in the dark. At this point put the chrome top cover on and let it heat up for 5 minutes. At this point it will be very hot but it you should be able to pick it up by the bottom because the lower half is in the felt pouch. Zip up the drawstring and enjoy the warmth.

I also recommend just buying Coleman camping fuel. It won't burn as hot as Zippo or Ronsonol lighter fluid but it's cheaper. You will feel the difference in how much hotter Zippo Lighter fluid burns but I save my Zippo fuel for those especially cold days. Coleman lighter fluid also leaches the red color from it's red container and will turn the wadding in the handwarmer red. If you want the best of both worlds use Ronsonol. It's cheaper than Zippo lighter fluid but more expensive than Coleman but Ronsonol burns just as hot as Zippo Lighter Fluid and is clear as well so it won't dye the wadding.

I hope I helped anyone thinking about buying these. They're a great product but I think Zippo isn't clear about how to best use and maintain the product. Feel free to ask me any questions.
on March 11, 2012
After reading the reviews about the Zippo Hand Warmer, I had to take the plunge. I'm very pleased to say that all the positive reviews were correct and I'm very happy with my purchase. While I found it a little difficult to fill with fuel (more details below), it was very easy to light and I needed only to hold a flame to the catalyst for about 5 seconds before I could see an orange glow. After I put it into the included cloth pouch, I noticed that it was slow to warm up so I simply opened the pouch a bit more and it heated up more. The instructions don't explain it, but I think by adjusting how tightly you close the pouch, you can regulate the hand warmer's temperature: larger opening = more oxygen = more heat. Smaller opening = less heat.

*The tips I read in other reviews work really well.

Tip #1: Use cheaper Coleman Camp Fuel. Instead of buying an entire gallon of camp fuel for $10, I just bought the smaller red bottle for $6. That one little bottle is still going to let me use the pair of hand warmers several camping seasons. I love the smell of the burning fuel, too, because reminds me of camping when I was a kid.

Tip #2: Put the hand warmer (while still in the cloth pouch) into a Ziplock bag when you want to extinguish it before all the fuel is used up. Once I put the hand warmer in the Ziplock bag and sealed it up, the hand warmer started to cool down within a minute. It's now what I use to store the hand warmers. I can keep them filled with fuel and not worry about having to use it all up every time.

*Filling the hand warmer: There is a little bit of a learning curve figuring out the best way to fill the warmer the first time. You definitely need some patience. Once I figured it out filling my first hand warmer, the second was a lot better with less wasted/spilled fuel.

1. It comes with a small measuring cup for filling fuel. It doesn't hold a lot. I'm sure glad I didn't by a gallon because it would have been impossible for me to fill the cup from the gallon pail with spilling it everywhere. Even with the small red bottle, fuel spilled because I was trying to fill the cup slowly. What you need to do is pour it more quickly--a brief splash because the cup is very small--so that the fuel doesn't dribble out of the bottle and make a mess. To make it easier next time, I bought a turkey baster that I'm going to use to extract the fuel from the bottle and then fill the cup. I'm sure that will eliminate spills and waste.

2. The measuring cup has a long spout for pouring into the warmer. Think of the spout as a straw. Instead of trying to pour it on top of the "cotton" material, insert it into the holes and let the cotton sip the fuel. If you try to pour it, it doesn't get absorbed fast enough (especially the first time) and it will spill all over. By making contact with the cotton and letting the fuel sip through while you tilt the cup slowly, will prevent making a mess. This is where patience pays off.

Final note: I bought two hand warmers at first to see how well they worked. My wife and I were so impressed I ordered another two right away so that I wouldn't have to share :o).
review image
on August 22, 2012
This thing is easy to light if you understand basic heat... Fill the tin, then with the heating element on the tin, keep a flame on the heating element long enough that you would think the tiny wires in the filament in the heating element would be "red hot". After that, through catalytic reactions (No flame needed! --once the filament wires are red hot of course--) The vaporized heating fluid will go through combustion, making for a VERY clean burn (practically no CO (carbon monoxide) production) and giving off CO2 (and some water vapor, only amounts to a single drop of water in a day, only noticeable under laboratory conditions). The amount of CO2 this gives off is much less than a human breathing throughout an entire day.

The tin is very easy to fill, especially with the supplied filling device (quite elegant in its design by the way), and putting it back together could be done by a small child --don't let them do it hahaha-- and away it goes!

It has gone through 3 days of heating cycles, absolutely constant comfortable warming temperatures (will be using an infrared temperature gauge later in the week after I get over how awesome it is).

The warming bag is of very comfortable material, and the draw string is rugged enough that it will last for quite a long time! (I qualify this in being very knowledgeable in rope construction and knots)

Honestly, I have no idea why every northerner doesn't have two of these, and why this device isn't a staple item (i.e. every person has heard of them, and everyone has 2 of them).

I have kept them in my pockets, and no matter what, I have not been able to smother them (even tried to under blankets, inside a pair of shorts pockets.

Once the tin heats up, which happens within a minute if not less, the residual heat will further cold proof the heating fluid to keep it vaporizing all day long! (I am still wowed about the elegant engineering of this device).

Filling with the included cup is very easy. Just know the main way the fluid gets into the tin is through capillary action with the material inside the tin, so no need to hold the tip of it above the cotton, just put it directly against the cotton and tip it a little.

I really hope this review was both informative, and at least convinces you to purchase one if you like warm hands (And feet!!! --big socks + these = awesome--)
on February 23, 2013
Amazon has a really good price on these. I tried it with "Backyard Grill" (Walmart) brand Odorless Lighter Fluid (for charcoal grills - $4.57 for two quarts ($9.14 per gallon)) and could not get it to work. I tried to save money on fuel and that backfired on me. I then bought Ronsonol fluid ($4.99 for 12 oz ($53.23 per gallon)) and that worked the first time. So now the question is - will Coleman Camp Fuel work? Not sure yet. I will find out eventually.

Just tested it by running it until it died a few times. Then filled up with "1/2" a tank of fuel (that is what they recommend for refills and I is pretty much all you can put in except when it is new) and it ran for 8 hours without being in the bag. If you put it in the bag, it will probably run longer and at a lower temp.
review image